Could Transformers feel pain?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dinobot747, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    What the title says. Could TFs feel pain, say, if they get shot, or get their arms torn off or something?

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...Is Kickback funny as hell?

3. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    ...I have no idea what your talking about.:dunce 

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Yes, I think that was established in Beast Wars or even in G1 if I'm not mistaken.

Also in TFTM/ROTF, e.g. Wheelie feels pain when Mikaela torches his eye.

5. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ya. There not robot-robots. They're Cybertronian (how ever your spell it).
    There living metal robots. I have no idea how that works. Just roll with it.

And i guess there's some things they can feel and somethings they can't.
    In CliffJumpers spotlight. His metal body got hot from being out in the sun to long. He accidentally burns a girl and says something like 'I didn't realize how hot the sun was, we don't feel hot or cold at this level.'

and in last stand of the wreckers Impactor tells Springer to turn on his pain dampeners.

Even in the G1 series; there's no good examples but there's alot of points were Powerglide is holding his damaged wing or "watch it doc" when repairs are happening.

6. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

He answered sarcastically because he thought the question was... redundant: its been established from the earliest days of G1 that TFs could feel pain.

7. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

"ow my foot!"

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't think of a continuity where Cybertronians HAVEN'T shown a capacity to feel pain, especially when you throw emotional pain into the mix.

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I think it is pretty easy to make a computer feel pain. Pain is nothing else than a signal that tells you that your body is being compromised and it is connected to a reflex to avoid feeling pain and generally everything that might cause pain. You could connect sensors to the exterior that continuously send signals to the cpu that everything is ok and that send signals when parts are missing and so on. That could be programmed similarily to pain.

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Our body has a lot of electrical impulses going through it, and robots have a lot of electrical (or i guess energon-ical) stuff inside them, so i don't see why not.

It's as simple as programming each panel to send a signal to the brain (or CPU) when it's removed. Think a deadman switch. Take the weight off, and the machine stops working. Well, same thing applies, take the panel off and a signal is sent automatically to the CPU.

Of course, what signal is sent determines whether or not it is actual 'pain'. I mean, you can program the robot to think it tastes ice cream whenever it gets some armor damaged if you really want. But logically, you'd make it feel 'hurt', because that should provoke some acute reaction, and make the robot react faster to danger. Tasting ice cream in the middle of a firefight is useless, feeling pain tells you to get the hell out of there, or at least get behind some cover.

The obvious way to get around this is simply to employ the system you find in things like GP01/Fb Zephyranthes Gundam: Removable armor. You can keep an inner frame which is all the robot's joints and necessary hardware, and the armor can just be like clothing, so the robot can't feel when it comes of. Makes for a more fearless warrior. Plus, just replace the armor and you're good to go again. Simple.

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I've always said they're 'robotic' or 'robot-like'. Either their structure is a new metal not found on our elemental table, or it's just metal-ish. I don't consider them actual robots, though.

12. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Questions like these bug me. Has the OP bothered to watch anything Transformers longer than two seconds?.... :p 

Yes, they feel pain.

13. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    How is this even a question - every single version of transformers ever has shown them being hurt in various ways and reacting to it.

In humans, pain is a stimulus/response feedback that trains us to avoid damaging our bodies. It would be axactly the same in any kind of machine.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    In armada, hot shot is shown to have have pain in his upper torso area, right above the arms.

15. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

THIS.

It would not be a design flaw but have a function. I once saw a documentary about people who were unable to feel any pain at all. Especially bad for children. One of'em bit her tongue to a point it was bleeding and she was just smiling, while the other one was pokin' her eyes to a point one of'em got damaged and had to be operated off.

One main point of that documentary is pretty much what's described above. Pain lets ya know what ya should avoid doing or happenin' to your body.

16. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

/thread

17. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

if they are just machines how sme people say, then no. if they are robotic organisms , then yes. because to fell pain, yo need nerves to feel them, robotic organisms could have nerves or cells based on molecular or nanotechnology.

i can iamgien that transformers can withstand very high and low temperatuees, they dont mind cold areas like space, and megatron and the insecticons showed us that they can even survive in lava.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    In the Marvel comics Transformers were feeling pain almost right from the beginning. The Decepticons reacting to their poisoned fuel were definitely in agony. And in a later story the matter of Transformers and pain was somewhat covered when Ratchet is replacing Jazz's injured arm and Blackrock asks if he feels pain from it. The answer to which is Ratchet just adjusts a few bits and turns the pain sensors off during the procedure.

I suppose if a TF was going into batte for the last time and knew they were gonna die anyway they might turn off the pain sensors so they can fight to the bitter end without being in agony from any wounds.

19. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

I think that transformers are just moer tough than humans, so even with an lost limb they can survive and eventually fight, althought they are handicape.

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Transformers, in my eyes, are people robots or people that just so happen to function like a machine.

Transformers think, eat, feel emotions and experience pain.

Just ask Armada Startscream how he felt when Megatron spent half an episode laying a severe smack down to him. That and Transformers always tend to react when they get shot.