Could transformers 3 flop??

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DECEPTI CREEP, Dec 9, 2009.

1. DECEPTI CREEP

DECEPTI CREEP Active Member

I ask this question because of two things. First how many other movie franchises have had very profitable movies and then have there third installment flop? quit a few....

Alien 3
    matrix revolutions
    scream three
    spiderman three (not a flop but least profitable)
    batman forever - painful
    etc
    etc

My second point is what can they do in Transformers three that we haven't already seen? What can Bay do to draw a crowd? We have seen robots transform while moving, flying, jumping, crashing through buildings, and let's not forget COMBINING! I guess I'm saying it's kind of old news. Now I for one will see this movie probly more than once in the IMAX theatre, but will the rest of the world feel the same way? What do you think?

2. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

With the benefit of hindsight* Alien3 was a decent movie. TF3 will be slated by critics, but if it's out on time it'll sell a shitload of toys and make another small mountain of cash at the box office.

*and by 'hindsight' i mean 'compared to Alien Resurrection'.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It could very well flop, but it's way to early to tell. A decent amount of second sequels have flopped, but not all of them. It really depends on what Bay has planned, and how he treats it. If he treats it like he did RotF (like it's own movie, not just a sequel, and without setting up anything obvious for future movies), I think it'll be fine. Critics will most likely rip into it no matter what. They threw too much poo at RotF not too.

We'll just have to wait and see.

4. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

and don't forget, the Transformers Mega Movie Ultimate Platinum Special Edition 15-disc Boxset will shift units like nobody's business.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Honestly, most of the movies you listed as examples weren't flops.

Spider-man 3- top grossing movie for that year.
    Matrix revolutions- made quite a profit. $430 million worldwide.
    Scream 3 made around $90 million domestically. Not bad for a horror movie at all.
    Batman Forever was the number 2 movie for 1995.

I think you're confusing movies that are critically panned with movies that are financial failures. Just might as well include ROTF as a flop going by that standard.

6. just1nj

just1nj NERD GAZETTE

I'm thinking it will better than ROTF. Just needs to be more dark/evil. Bots need to die, even if it's Bumblebee. The ending would have to leave the Decepticon's on top, and the Autobots down under until the next film. That's what I would like to have for TF3.

7. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I think it's been essentially proven that TF3 could involve literally anything and it will make a mountain of cash. Seriously. It literally does not matter how bad it could turn out. It's bulletproof.

- Coeloptera

8. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    Transformers: Rise of the Tripl3 Changers....

Get it? GET IT??

HA!

Oh, and it will not flop. It will bring in money...HOWEVER, I do believe that it will reveal to the studio execs that a Fourth film will not happen as I believe that the third will not make nearly as much money showing an aging, and monetarily stale, franchise due in part to many people's "meh" attitude toward ROTF. Now if Bay cuts a preview trailer that was even better than his debut trailer for ROTF, he will get every human body into a theater seat. That trailer was AMAZING! ROTF looked like Bay had pretty much made an Oscar contender for us fans, and then ended up being a bigger disappointment across the board. FYI, I still liked it for what it was....a reason to have big bad-ass robots beating the fluid out of each other. WIN in my book.

I will pay for my 5 tickets for 5 viewings, so I will be doing my part. Will YOU (points finger at screen...)?

9. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I don't think it has any reason to flop, IMHO.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Primus, I hope not. I want TF3 to be just as good or better than the first two.

11. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

Every movie *can* flop. I believe. However, I also believe Transformers 3 won't, new script writer, probably less mistake prone. I hope it's your standard Prime and the Autobots vs Megs and the Decepticons.

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Nope.

13. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Spider Man 3 made an ASS load of money!

I personally don't think TF3 is going to flop. If they make 5 TF movies, I bet TF5 will flop.

14. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    imho, it won't flop...

15. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Successful. This juggernaut can't be stopped. The only difference this time, is hasbro will do what they did with Joe, and bar the critics from it. We'll get till TF5 before any real problems arise. Transformers is just too strong a property. It will be the modern day star wars even in hindsight 20 years from now. And even the Ewoks couldn't bring that one down. Plus we don't have a Jar Jar just yet...

Batman Forever was the last decent batflick honestly. It wasn't until batman and robin came that the line flopped...
    (Excluding the bale-verse)

16. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While it is possible, I highly doubt it. The movie may turn out terrible, but marketing alone will pull in big money for at least the first month. Spider-man 3 is a great example as it was successful because of the Spider-man name, but it wasn't up to scratch as a movie.

17. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think it would be fine the first and second made incredible money i dont see it flopping as bad.....as the past movies the Critics will be hating the movie but it will be just fine

18. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    without all the crap that happened during ROTF's production, TF3 should do well.

19. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I don't think so. Critically, maybe, but financially, hell no.

20. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'd like to see them bring Unicron, Primus and, as you suggested, combiners into the third movie. Total, intergalactic, no-holds-barred, war-to-end-all-TF-wars FTW. And, as others have suggested, I think they'd have to try pretty hard to get this train to jump off the tracks.