Could this eventually lead up to a crackdown on 3rd parties?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HoosierDaddy, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
  2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Short answer: I don't think so.

3. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I say probably not. This is about straight up copies of object. KO companies like the one that knocks off the seekers and now SG Rodimus and Henkei Wildrider.

3rd Party products are (usually) toys with 100% new designs. They aren't counterfeit if they aren't copies. Igear on the other hand......

4. forrestyump

forrestyump Well-Known Member

I hope they lay d hamma down on those counterfeiters, If third parties break copyright laws; they ought to pay also. profiting off of someone elses hard work is unequalvocally theft.

5. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    I'm just sayin, if they are going to start imposing laws that would enable the government to crack down on these particular counterfeiters right now, we all know those laws will make it easier in the future to start going after other stuff and could give companies like Has/Tak more power to do something about it. If they have more power to stop it, I believe they will be more inclined to use it. JMO.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Could they just hold off until our two sets of Constructicons are complete?

7. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

This has always been going on. I think it's mostly after counterfeit purses and clothes. Think flea markets selling diesel jeans for 20 bucks or fake coach purses.

8. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    LOL. I don't think any 3rd parties are in any immediate danger. This stuff would take some time to develope, if it ever even happens.

9. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Define "fake products."

10. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    You do know that if Hasbro/Takara whatd to, they could have any 3rd party taken down in a heart beat for IP infringement any second right?

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

LOL. Well, in that case, could they hold off until the rumored FP Stunticons come to fruition?

12. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Ahahahahahaha!

They could force places like BBTS to stop SELLING 3rd party merch, but those companies aren't located in the US. China's lawless when it comes to IP.

13. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Exactly. They don't give a $hit.

14. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    ^ Except not "exactly." Hasbro can't do jack-all.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yes. Have you ever been to a Chinatown? Restaurants never pass any health/safety inspection. Every couple of years, they get shut down by the government. What happens?

A "new restaurant" pop up in it's place, serving the same food, with the same workers, under a "new name".

Honestly? Has/Tak can do jack. And if they can do more, they won't. Because as it stands right now, it is NOT worth their resources to pursue that deep. Large amount of cost, for very little gain.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

City Commander is NOT Ultra Magnus
    Warbot is NOT Springer
    Protector is NOT Rodimus Prime
    Explorer and Munitioner are NOT Blast Off and Swindle
    Thundershred, Stormbomb...etc...

They're not fake because they are original products.

KOs on the other hand... (and yes I do understand that in some previous cases the line between 3rd party and KO has been blurred somewhat)

17. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Echoing the thoughts of "not likely".

While the moral side of me, and the designer side of me wants these KO companies to die (seriously, not cool to rip off someone else's design), the kitbasher side of me is still really tempted by the sheer availability of otherwise impossible to find molds (I blame Autobotx23 for the lack of Cybertron Optimus Primes! :lol ).

Still, I'd like them to die off, as I'd rather have a harder time tracking down Kitbashing fodder than people ripping off other's hard work.

Although, I still doubt real 3rd party companies would be shut down. FP's City Commander, for example, is an entirely new mold (as far as we, the public, knows), so Hasbro can't do much to it, nor similar new mold products. Otherwise, Shapeways would die from people getting sued over making and selling transforming robots (which obviously would be bad news for me, and just outright ridiculous anyways, imo) that looked anything like any transformer to date (hell, with things like Hardtop and Sledge sharing the same transformations, you can draw a similarity between any two things). I do hope iGear dies, though. Would really love to see them get what they deserve, preferably in the form of some financial...fine? I don't know what the correct legal terminology is, but I'd like to see them die. Preferably soon.

Still, this isn't the first thread along these lines, and it won't be the last. And I still doubt 3rd party companies will have much trouble, if any at all. Except iGear, who I hope gets mercilessly slaughtered.

Oh, and KOToys can die as well. :mad: 

18. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Also exactly. :) 

19. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Y'know, having completed my LOA figure and being in the agonizing process of waiting for my prototypes to arrive, I can think of no greater compliment to my work than someone making a KO version of it.

I mean, how awesome would it be to be able to say "Yeah, people love my work so much they invested time and money to copy it?"

My goal with my design work is to make stuff people want to KO and I will only consider my goal met when I see pictures of my stuff in neon colors on ugly packaging.

20. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I'd have thought that Hasbro and Takara would only act when it is cost effective (which includes accounting for any potential bad publicity, and the idea that some 3rd party products increases awareness of their branding).

So far it hasn't been cost effective to apply the laws as they are. It's doubtful that new ones would be an easier lever than intellectual property.

I agree with the sentiment that I-gear's Conehead Seekers are probably at the more dangerous end of the spectrum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.