Could the parallels theme be getting overused?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Aug 15, 2016.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Parallels, reflections and counterparts are a cool way to display the dynamics between heroes and villains. But I think that this theme, which started in DOTM and continued onwards, is becoming an overused theme.

DOTM
    Optimus Prime, Megatron and Sentinel Prime were all trucks and leaders, all of whom work against each other. This case is probably the best use of parallels.

Besides them, Soundwave became a spy car with a human ally. In a sense Soundwave being a flashy James Bond spy car works out, but in another sense his role is just a Decepticon counterpart of Bumblebee and his human friend.

AOE
    The KSI factory developed Galvatron and Stinger to specifically be superior to Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. They served as their parallels, especially when Galvatron revealed his connection to Megatron and during their fights.

TLK
    Megatron’s new design is a reflection of Optimus’s knight design. He even has a faceplate.

And Onslaught is a huge green vehicle with kill counts on his side, similar to Hound.

I guess with most of the robots limited to one or two films, the best thing they can do is achieve some element that separates the robots into good and bad counterparts. But just because parallels are cool it doesn’t mean it has to be exact differences between each other. Professor X and Magneto are both mutants, but one is in a wheelchair. Batman and Joker are both individuals who had a bad day and lost their sanity and peace of mind (according to the Killing Joke), but one wears a cowl and the other wears a slasher smile.

To be specific, Megatron has never really needed to be visually similar to Optimus Prime to be his rival. There are truck commander characters who were repaints of Optimus (Scourge, Motormaster, Ultra Magnus, Sentinel Prime); and there’s Megatron the Decepticon commander, whom Optimus and the Autobots fight against.
    And similarly, Soundwave the Decepticon intelligence officer has never needed to be Bumblebee’s rival.

I’m a little more tolerant of the other characters (Stinger was okay) and it’s early to judge the TLK characters, but I feel that this theme of parallels should be toned down, to allow the Transformers to develop as their own characters beyond them fighting each other.

2. Lord Person

Lord Person OH NO!

News Credits:
    You have valid points, I do feel like this play's into the idea of less amount of characters in favor for more character development with the small amount he do have (Quality over Quantity) and how they should all have distinct personalities and attributes instead of being exact opposites of other character(s).

Most of the time, they're either thematic elements or visual gags that are representative of the certain relationships in the film.

3. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    I really don't feel like Megatron's new design is him being Optimus' coutnerpart. An argument could be made for that, but I really just feel this is the Knight form of Megatron and it isn't suppose to be an "evil Optimus".

4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:

From the news thread on Megatron's design.
    [​IMG]

But it's not a parallel that's necessary in my opinion.

But we should see more from TLK to see how it goes.

5. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stinger was "okay".. He was barely a character at all.

6. PrimeHunter98

PrimeHunter98 Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.

Agreed. The only purpose Stinger had was being a counterpart of Bumblebee in the fight, would have been nice though if he said some lines in the movie.