Could the movie budget have been better spent in terms of CGI?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TankRizzo, Jun 28, 2009.

1. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

Ok, bare with me here. The Lucas thread got me thinking, the SFX driven scenes in TF to me seemed to go by WAY too quick.

I'm not trying to trash the guys at ILM at all here, but I don't quite understand where the $200,000,000 budget went. Look at a movie like Episode III and there are entire WORLDS done in CGI, not just stormtroopers or dewbacks....pretty much everything on screen was computer generated. They lasted longer and we got a chance to take in what was on the screen.

Pixar movies are ENTIRELY CG. Wall-E's budget was $180,000,000....$20,000,000 short of ROTF, and when the movie comes out we see scenes that aren't even fully rendered. The scene in Shanghai where the twins fall apart as the ice cream truck has horrible framerate, it looked like claymation.

What did they spend all of this time and money doing in comparison to these other movies? Rendering Devastator's balls?

2. xxsoundwavexx

xxsoundwavexx Well-Known Member

i think and iam not complaining but to do devastator looks really really expensive,i think that if they would had kept him out maybe the other main robots would have had more time and dialogue....

3. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    maybe a little bit less focus on tiny mechanical movements would have helped in getting more screentime with the budget. but it is really awesome seeing the almost organic mechanisms.
    i can't choose.

4. TankRizzo

Two things were definitely not working for them, the needless detail in the bots and the runtime of the movie. Devastator did seem like an egregious waste of money/time though.

5. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

For all the work that went into Devastator, he was severely misused.

Why did Megatron and The Fallen even need all those other Decepticons when they had THAT? Devastator alone could probably have taken down all the Autobots, not to mention the military.

I can only guess that his CGI model was so incredibly complex and expensive they could barely use it. Sometimes, less is more...

6. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

ILM screen time is 51 minutes and I'm pretty sure that's the exact amount of time in Transformers appearances.
    Now, even if each minute costed $2 millions, ILM could have received $100 millions.
    But where the heck went the other 100 megabucks?!

7. TankRizzo

The scene in Shanghai where IronHide takes what seems 5 minutes to transform is more than enough to establish that they're complex. They should have tried to scale things way back after that...I don't know, but either way, I'm like you, I totally don't see where all of this movie's budget went when Episode III cost $113,000,000 in 2005. Adjusted for inflation it's still $80,000,000 off.

8. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

I'm afraid Michael Bay has been overpaid even more, this time.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Either Devastator was incredibly complex and expensive to animate, or the writers felt the Decepticons needed a distraction for the Autobots/soldiers while their big gun uncovered the Sunsucker (or whatever it was called); once Devastator was done, he could've finished off what was left of the Autobot/human forces, had he not been damaged/killed by the railgun. That was my take.

As for CGI...I walked away feeling mostly satisfied. My lone issue was fights still came fast and furious and I still felt a bit disoriented trying to tell what the hell was going on. Part of me wonders if some of Michael Bay's philosophies trickle in here though (a potential reluctance to feature robots more than the human actors, preferring to stage explosions/stunts rather than rely on CGI). That, combined with complexity of transformations and the robots' appearances, could result in wondering where the budget went. That's just a random thought though.

10. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    well ILM costs wouldn't be measured by screentime, they'd be measured by the intricate details they put in, all the tiny moving gears etc. making all of that is a very time consuming process. and not all of it would have been spent on the robots alone, generating the scenes on saturn's moon, underwater, the opening and so on would have required a lot of attention to detail in the background alone. overall it could come in at easily well over 100 million. and then there are all the other costs associated with the movie, like paying just about everyone in the credits, licences for song use, equipment, explosive compounds and so on. this is the mistake most people make when they see a CGI heavy film has a high budget, assuming that the entirety of it goes to one aspect. advertising is a seperate studio issue again.

11. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Less Alice and more Fallen.