Could the economy affect the value of older lines?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This question just popped into my head. Could the state of the economy, assuming it got even worse, affect the value of MISB G1's or other rare variants that are worth hundreds, if not thousands? Could this also affect the way the AFA appraises/grades sealed figures as well? I clearly don't know as much about this since I only got into collecting a little over a year ago.

2. Grendel1979

Grendel1979 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would say its definately possible, if not probable, that we will see a drop in vintage TF prices. Price is set by supply vs demand. Demand for collectables such as transformers is usually driven by disposable income. A drop in disposable income brought on by a weakened economy (fewer raises, inflation, higher cost of good such as food and gas etc...) will lower demand for vintage TFs. You can't eat a TF (animated Eggo's excluded).

3. metaphorge

metaphorge Decepticon

News Credits:
    It depends on how many people start selling off their collections. Increased supply usually lowers prices.

We could see his happen smply from people deciding to "dump" their pricey collectibles before their values fall, thus creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

4. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Economy affects the power of $, so ultimately Yes

5. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I know in recent sales I have made that there seems to be MANY more international buyers than at anytime before. They seem to be willing to pay more as well.

6. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

As people feel the crunch, they may sell some of their collection... which may increase the "inventory", which may bring down the prices on some.

This might be because the value of the dollar is lower... which means that it's cheaper for those outside of the US that are stronger then the dollar.

5 Years Ago = 1 Dollar = 0.85 Euros
    2 Years Ago = 1 Dollar = 0.80 Euros
    Currently = 1 Dollar = 0.72 Euros

$100 Shockwave used to costs 85 Euros 5 Years ago.
    $100 Shockwave today costs 72 Euros.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=USD&to=EUR&amt=1&t=5y

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if, say, I had a MOSC G2 Devastator that was appraised by the AFA as having a value of $2,500 (example). Would the value of that be driven down substantially?

8. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Couldn't have explained it better...