Could some one help me out with shipping international?

Discussion in 'Items For Sale or Trade' started by autobotsrollout, Aug 15, 2012.

1. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I dont know if this is the forum so I'll post on a few forums and let the mods delete the ones not needed. But I didnt realize to ship from the U.S. oversees was 40$+ from USPS , Fedex and UPS. Is there a cheaper way? its insane.. is there some embargo against the U.S. or what the heck is going on.

I sold some things on Ebay, and I sold a lot of MTG cards... since that doesnt cost much at all in padded envelopes I thought It couldnt be that bad for a small package but 40$ is absurd...

Thanks for any help... I'm just going to assume I need to refund their money and put it back up for US and Canada only. But I thought maybe someone would know of a cheaper way.

2. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it really depends on the weight of the item. once it goes past 4 lbs (i think that's the limit), you are forced to use priority mail, which then gets costly.

may i ask what you sold? maybe you can take advantage of their flat-rate boxes?

3. Lapse of Reason

Lapse of Reason Well-Known Member

International shipping is not cheap by any carrier. If you are going with Priority Mail International, which includes tracking, then upwards of $30 is typical.

First class international mail is much cheaper, although leaves you in a lurch if the buyer claims non-receipt. It is also limited to about 4 pounds.

When I sell on eBay, I usually allow first class international only on low value items (under $30). Otherwise, priority mail is usually the next cheapest way. I sometime sell LEGO sets and shipping of those is usually about $50 to $70 depending on size, weight and location.

4. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sent a few things to the UK, from NY, and the cheapest way I could do it was with USPS. Instead of using the flat rate boxes I made my own boxes the were just big enough for the items. One was a deluxe classics Ramjet and one was an scout Energon combiner jet. They were not very big or heavy, so the s/h ended up being less than $10 each (two separate shipments). From talking to the guy at the post office, the bigger and heavier the package is makes the price go up exponentially for international shipping. I hope this helps.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    First lesson. Never assume anything.

Second lesson. Ebay auctions are a contract. You have to honor the terms of your auction. You can't just refund and re-list.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    The lesson: Weigh your items and know well in advance what shipping will be. I've been doing it a while, so I don't weigh everything, but I'm never surprised at the post office.

7. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not exactly, Ebay also understands that sellers aren't in it to lose money based on 'honest' mistakes. They'll let him cancel his sales and refund the money and won't penalize him for it. His reputation may take a small hit but that's about it.

I've been there a couple times as well and I ain't taking a hit because I didn't realize the shipping was too costly. I'd message the buyers and let them know that they can either make up the shipping difference or get a refund. It's business, not debt enforcement.