Could Optronix and Orion Pax exist in the same continuity?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, May 21, 2011.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    The archivist and the dock worker. But with only one becoming Optimus Prime although each are capable of doing so given the right circumstances. One becomes Optimus Prime the other doesn't and remains their previous self be it an archivist or a dock worker.

I was thinking that if Optimus Prime were to die, the other would become a new Optimus Prime, keeping the name.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They both existed, were heavily damaged, and parts from one were added to the other to build Prime. Problem solved.

3. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Sure but I don't see them competing for the matrix. Maybe the dock worker becomes the archivist that becomes Prime. Or somehow the two are combined into one Prime somehow (not like a combiner though).*damn, Aernorath beat me to this one by seconds!* Or in shattered glass the have to duke it out for the right to lead, instead of seeing Megatron slaughter Cy-kill for the millionth time.

4. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I like that first one, where the dockworker becomes the archivist. It could imply that he was working at the docks temporarily while he went to school for archivist training. It adds to his previous life.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like the Exodus Orion Pax to be Optimus Prime please.

Optronix i think became SG Optimsu Prime in the shattered glass universe.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the name Orion Pax and I like him being an archivist. I feel it gives Optimus a more learned and esteemed pedigree.

7. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I prefer this interpretation as well.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Could G1 Bumblebee the friendly Volkswagen Beetle and Movie Bumblebee the somewhat jerky Camaro exist in the same continuity?

.... WHY?

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:

As much as RiD Sideburn and Sky-Byte can exist in the G1 continuity I suppose even if they're not physically the same characters in RiD continuity. And what are the chances of that ever happening?

We have two Barrages and two Sky Highs in G1. So whats another Bumblebee? Or an Autobot that could have become Optimus Prime but didn't.

10. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I've just come to accept that with Transformers' multiple continuities, anything can happen.

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why bother, I mean, they were the same guy. I'm not trying to sound smarmy, but I mean, isn't the continutiy (continuities) confusing enough? At least with RID SKy-Bite and Side-Burn being shoe-horned into G1, at least they weren't confliting with existing characters. Whatever.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm not partial to either one, really. I never liked the Orion Pax origin, (his initials are still "OP"... get it????:rolleyes2 ), but at least it has a certain historical weight. I'd rather forget about Optronix altogether.

I like to use the name "Convoy" for Optimus' pre-Prime identity... which is actually about the closest answer to the truth that there is. :D 

I prefer the idea that he was a sort of "renaissance bot" before he got the Matrix... a transport officer who preferred to roam free along the highways of Cybertron, visiting new cities and cultures and learning new skills on the way... a wandering philosopher, getting to know the whole planet, a real "bot of the people".

That's the kind of leader I could get behind... not some some sulky desk nerd or warehouse worker Luke Skywalker-wannabe, who have magic awesomeness handed to them. Better if he proves himself worthy of the Matrix through his actions and strength of character, not that tired old "chosen one" cliche.

zmog

13. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah you've got Exodus Prime in a nutshell. Orion knew there was more to life than his station and was sympathetic to Megatron's cause, even bothering to visit him in Kaon, a virtue that Alpha Trion recognized to be of the prophesized Prime. After an awesome speech that showed he was far more rational than his miner ally, the High Council make him Prime to his utter disbelief.

14. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    You realize none of this actually addresses the OP's question right?

But since you brought it up, I can't really see pre-Prime Optimus (I'd just call him "Optimus") as a loner. I'd see him as someone whose friends and co-workers are always asking for advise from. People want to be part of his circle. He can move from social group to group with ease. He's someone with good ideas and a way of motivating others to help see them through. He's always a part of a group and finds himself in leadership positoins without ever seeking them out.

There's room for the young dock worker, the mid-level archivist and even the ranking transport officer in a sort of progression towards a mantle of leadership.

Your Wandering Philosopher sounds too close to Jesus and there are already to many religious allegories surrounding Prime for my taste.

15. SMOG

Nice. It's about time someone wrote Prime that way, rather than just implying all the wisdom and honour just came automatically with the title.

Since we're talking about blending continuities regarding Prime's origin, I think it's legitimate to point out, as a related topic, that neither origin is particularly meaningful. Both are shallow, easy one-liners, and perhaps it would be better to incorporate an origin that develops Pre-Optimus as a respectable character BEFORE he gets sainted.

As I said, while Orion has a bit more resonance than Optronix, there's no reason not to discard both instead. Optronix didn't exist until War Within... and he was weak enough both as a name and a concept that I see no reason he needs to be blended into the long-term canon. And if we're coming up with ways to "blend" Pax and Optronix, we're already talking fan-canon anyway. :p 

That was my point... not that he was a "loner", but rather a citizen of the world. His community is wide-ranging, even as his wanderlust stems from both his deep thirst for knowledge and experiennce, and his placing a high value on personal freedom.

Essentially, as a "trucker" of sorts, he's been all over, and knows the planet and its people like the backs of his servos, with friends and connections in every port. Sounds like the perfect guy to serve as the lynch-pin of a global grass-roots counter-insurgency, eh?

But not so much in the way that Optronix and Orion Pax's stories have been told.

Not at all... Jesus was a preacher, and had an entourage. You've just reduced the role of any travelling hero to an arbitrary religious allegory, which is a fairly limiting view.

I was much more envisioning a variation on the "trucker hero", which was already a common archetype in Optimus' native 1980's. Plus it goes well with the name "Convoy", which kicks the scrap out of "Optronix" or "Orion Pax" as far as pre-OP names. :) 

zmog

16. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    whoa, whoa. I wasn't trying to start something, hell I even took the bait here.

Point. Especially about Optronix. A weak name, weak concept that only really works in the frame of War Within, and then only if you don't look to closely. I liked War Within but not Optronix.

See, it's the wandering part I don't like. You make him sound like Han Solo without all the cool criminal rouge stuff. I think he should be more grounded and stable. In fact, I think his back story would be kinda boring except maybe for whatever kickstarted his involvment in fighting Megatron. Which brings me back to the dockworker that recognized an injustice and was suddenly willing to scrafice to protect his ideals.

I think it's safe to say that very few G1 stories (especially from the 'toon) can continue to stand on their own the way they were told.:rolleyes: 

Alright, I admit some of that reaction came from reading the bio. ...doctor, mechanic, scientist...skills to heal and repair...combined with your philosopher description kinda lead me in that direction. I don't think your second sentence is a fair one.

Well, now I'm thinking of Knight Rider and MacGyver. Shows with minimal central charactors that rely on changing casts week to week. That's exactly what I don't think Prime's early years would be like.

So your sticking with "Convoy" huh. Well it's better than Optronix, that's for sure!

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I always thought of them as the same guy. Then again, the only time I've come across "Optronix" was in that Hardwired novel which wasn't all that great, plus it's easier to wrap my head around "Orion Pax" then some thinly-altered version of Optimus with an x at the end.

Dimensional time portals that displace one Bumblebee and put him in the other. Problem solved.

18. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why can't they just be the same guy? Orion Pax was a labor worker on Cybertron, one of the earliest cases of Decepticon terrorism happens. He gets damaged heavily and suffers amnesia; thus the face mask/plate is actually to cover up his damaged horrifying face ala the Masterpiece Prime. He gets taken in by Alpha Trion, given an altered body and given the duty to be an archivist; allowing him to be kept close to A3 because of the destiny he sensed within the young Cybertronian.

19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Very few people seem to remember the Marvel bio that had him training as a medic. I always felt that really fitted him. Plus it would add a new dimension to his often referenced friendship with Ratchet.

Plus I always thought Orion Pax' design looked terrible but then it is from Season 2 of the cartoon which I really thought was terrible. Sorry if I offend.

20. SMOG

I'm not trying to make a scene, man... I did however feel like I should defend my interjection from charges of irrelevance. ;) 

He was also kind of a whiner. All in all, not a very compelling character. Plus, I'm just sick of the whole "nerdy guy gets ultimate power because destiny says so" fantasy... I felt like Optimus should be cut from a better cloth... or made of sterner stuff, I guess. :) 

"Wandering" sounds perhaps too impetuous, but I like the idea of travelling because it connects well with his wide skill and knowledge base, fits both the "Convoy" and "cowboy" motif he had from the old G1 cartoons, and builds him into a gregarious, optimistic, free-spirited kind of character, who became more responsible and solemn because of the war.

After all, if he's sedentary, then it isn't a sacrifice to get involved. It's protecting what's his when the Cons come. If he's accustomed to not having roots or a permanent home, then it means that he has to make a conscientious decision to "do the right thing" and stop rolling long enough to take a stand.

True enough. But Orion Pax was especially facile... he went from being a good ol' local boy to a champion of virtue in one makeover. :) 

It's funny that you hear "Jesus" when you read that bio. That connection never occurred to me (I still think it's a stretch, though his later sacrificial death and rebirth are a little more messianic). I hear "renaissance man", someone who takes it upon himself to excel in many disciplines and arts, a prodigy like a Da Vinci or Ben Franklin, a philosopher, a scientist, and a statesman, who seeks knowledge for it's own sake.

Which is not to say that he wouldn't start from humble origins... but the dock-worker angle is just a little TOO lacking in ambition or dynamism for me. I think that Pre-OPs should still have a visionary aspect.

That's because you're only thinking along a television paradigm. I think the real model is much more tied to the John Wayne model found in many old westerns. As a "trucker", he wouldn't necessarily be much different from a cattle driver. He has his routes and routines, and still has adventures along the way. At every stop, he knows people from when he's passed through many times before, and has a community network that he fosters around him... but it's not sedentary.

It's not like a wandering knight, helping people wherever he happens to show up. I don't think he should be Michael Knight or Bill Bixby or the Lone Ranger. :) 

I think "Convoy" has that G1 code-name sound to it. If he comes from humble origins, why should he have some pompous roman-honorific sounding name? Why not a common nickname, like other Autobots do? It evokes his alt-mode and to some degree his protective instincts.

I mean, why cling to this silly idea that his "Prime name" has to be directly derived from his regular name, or have the same initials, just to be gobsmackingly obvious about it? That approach gave us "Rodimus Prime" which is one of the Top 10 Worst Transformer names of all time, so better to let that tradition die.

It's also, literally, Optimus Prime's original name, so there's a certain poetic serendipity there too. ;) 

zmog