Could one graphically update Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheGreatMrChibi, Sep 13, 2008.

1. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

So, I'm sittin' here watching Beast Wars, and I'm struck by just how quality the animation of this show is. Most movements are very fluid and natural, even emotive and characteristic. It's incredible to me. The animators should be congratulated, and their work preserved for future generations.

...that being said, I'm pretty sure an X-Box 360 has more graphical power than the computers used to render this show. It moves great, and the character models are pretty good... but every thing else looks, well, dated.

It would be a snap, too, to replace some of the older textures with higher-resolution versions, perhaps add some polygons, foliage, and other little tweaks to the environments, and re-render the whole thing with a more modern photorealistic shader. But that's only if one could gain access to the original files used to create the TV-Show. So my question is, is this possible? Do those files still exist?

2. XSilverboltX

XSilverboltX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm sure they take up a lot of room in the archives of Mainframe, somewhere. Really, if your whole goal is to produce shows without any paper involved anywhere, odds are you have a thorough backup system.

3. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not necessarily. The rendering data for Babylon 5 (which was made roughly at the same time) was lost, so they had to rely on old VHS renderings when restoring the quality for DVD.

Also, it would take some heavy rework to make Beast Wars passable for 2008. First of all, they'd need to remake and re-skeleton all models to remove all that ridiculous bending and morphing when the characters move. This would probably break the existing animation. Also, making decent environments from the horrible plain walls that are already there would mean a lot of work. You'd pretty much have to start over from scratch with a complete remake.

4. scarnivac

scarnivac Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Rainmaker

These are the guys who actually made BW & BM,
    if you really want to know everything, I guess you should contact them!
    It would be pretty interesting to know if they still have all the files.