Could MK vs DC Universe compete with MvC3 if...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Molini, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

...the franchise was revamped with the current MK9 fighting engine and characters from DC were not watered down versions of themselves?

I don't know about you guys, but I really like what I see from the upcoming MK game for X-box 360 and PS3. I feel that if another stab at MK vs DC was taken using this gameplay approach along with abandoning any stupid justification for Superman being weak would be a step in the right direction.

let's look at what MvC series has done. Do you think anyone cares that servbot or Megaman can drop a beatdown on Magneto if a player is skilled enough? Who cares? Let Superman be a badass and fight a Kung Lao or Mileena who could never really faze him anyway in the comics, but could make for a fun battle in a videogame.

It's also my opinion that along with some janky gameplay mechanics of the first game (MK vs DC), a major turn off was the watered down staple of the MK franchise which resulted in some horribly lame Heroic brutalities and pointless fatalities.

What are your thoughts on how this franchise could succeed?

2. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    So, you want Superman OHKOing pretty much everyone?
    But I don't think Superman was watered down anyway. Doesn't he have perfect control of his strength?
    I'd like to see MK vs. DCU in the MK9 fighting system.

3. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

imo there were several reasons why mk vs dc sucked. first off, i thought all the next gen mk games were terrible. i didn't like the look or feel of them and most importantly i thought the fighting engine was really bad.

it also didn't help that dc didn't want their characters to do fatalities which dumbed down the entire game. an mk game that's not rated "m" should never be made. i will say that mk9 looks very promising and it's about time they went back to old school and dumped that next gen look and feel.

forget mk vs dc. how about the ultimate fighting fans wet dream, marvel vs dc. will it ever happen?

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I just can't get into the whole MK fighting paradigm.
    Other than some of the special moves there is nothing signature about any of the characters.
    Batman fought with the same close handed, heavy fisted style as Kano, the Flash, even Sonya Blade.

Also this.

5. Molini

According to the gameplay and storyline of the last game, yeah. Superman was weaker do to his vulnerability to Magic or what not, I forget. I just want the game to be over the top with the moves and fighting, and this engine allows for that potential.

A non M-rated MK makes plenty of since once you include DC. There is more money to be made off the inclusion of teenagers and kids who will want to play the game, although I contest that no one wants to play a crappy game in general. I also believe that the M-rated market has proven its success and that a well developed fighting game with these combined franchises could be just as successful as the MvC series. I remember that Marvel had that horrible game (Nemesis?) that had fatalities for their characters, but it sucked.

Is there potential for DC to bend for the sake of gameplay direction and a successful fun new fighting franchise? As for Marvel vs DC... if it is no longer happening in the comics...good luck getting it in videogames :( 

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Gotta love ol' Joe Q sometimes, don't ya?

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Banned

The problem with MKvDC was if I remember right, DC wouldn't allow too much violence and destructions to their franchise characters. The game was okay, but doesn't live up to classics MK.

8. Molini

Joe Q is the greatest Marvel Villain of all time.

Something like that. I don't know all the specifics. But I do agree that the gameplay was mediocre. Many have agreed that the 3D direction was not very well executed, or at least not as fun as the fighting was in the old 2D games.

So what I'm hoping to discuss in this thread is ideas and perspective on what could make this fighting franchise something that fans would be interested in and getting behind the way people do with MvC2&3.

I'd like to know your thoughts. I know there are many DC fans out there who also enjoy fighting games. What would you like to see and what do you not want to see in the game?

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I still don't get the hate for MK vs. DC and I despise MK games. It was fun, the moves had impact & flowed well together and the only thing it lacked were fatalities with blood and that doesn't even have anything to do with the actual gameplay.

I can see its flaws for serious MK players but has any MK game ever been balanced for competitive play?

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The whole idea of the DC universe in the MK universe MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. In any way. If MK wants to recapture its former glory it needs to dumb down and go back to basics.

Crazy no holds barred contest on a mysterious island. Proper DECENT fatalities and environmental fatalities. After MK2 everything just went wrong IMO. Even MK2 had odd stuff creeping in, Babalities? Friendships... urgh I suppose. Actually no. Babalities sucked. Why not just uppercut them instead? Then you get a lovely shower of ketchup.

If you absolutely want to shoehorn in other characters... well the DC Stable will have to be characters that can concieveably exist in a MK tournament setup. Like Batman, Black Canary, Nightwing... that Karate dude from the future. The martial artists of the DC universe. Maybe Wonder Woman. Putting in Superman and the Flash is just plain stupid. And 'Fatalities' should be character specific. Batman wouldn't kill anyone. But Canary and definitely Wonder Woman would. Amazon disembowelment.

But really? You want a proper crossover? Then Godammit work with Capcom and give me a SF vs MK game. That's a game I've been waiting over a decade for.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

No, not ever in a million years ever. They are not in the same league. They will never be in the same league. MK is a sledgehammer trying to perform brain surgery.

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

mk v dc looked nice and the cutscenes were kinda funny. thats all the good i can say about it really.

giving all the characters the same animations is lazy and cheap, though it is very mk.

13. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The animation for when you lost a round was terrible, the character just fell back, stiff as a board. Yet when they got up it was all funky looking kip-ups and ground pounds. Such strange polar opposites.

14. smangerbot

hehe, i had forgotton that. the game had promise, and it was fun for a mess around for sure. i quite liked those midair sections where you would be fighting and freefalling. or running through walls...

the moment you started to get good at it it became glaringly obvious how crap the 'engine' was.

15. McBradders

MK is fun. MK vs DCU was fun. It wasn not something that could be taken seriously as a fighting game, however. Like Smash Brothers. Yes, I went there.

16. smangerbot

but... smash has snake!!!

17. McBradders

MK vs DCU has Batman.

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    and kirby gets to blow you, I mean suck you...in, no off, yeah sucks you off.

I think.

Did I go too far? :redface2: 

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  19. McBradders

Not far enough.

20. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

MK is for family men, Smash is for the family men's kids.