Could military Autobots appear?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Mar 31, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Looking at the films, there was some deliberate classification: all the Autobots that appeared took the form of automobiles, and most of the Decepticons that have appeared took the form of military vehicles: Blackout/Grindor (MH-53 copter), Starscream (F-22 Raptor), Bonecrusher (Buffalo mine-clearing vehicle), Brawl (M1 Abrams tank), Jetfire (SR-71 Blackbird – he defected though) and Devcon (Russian missile launcher).

This was apparently a deliberate move by the filmmakers – it looks like the Autobots are primarily civilian vehicles (trucks, ambulances, cars), Decepticons love to take on army vehicles, because it seems to fit them best (militancy, war machines, etc). This also appears to negate the chance of military Autobots appearing (Hound is a perennial favourite and example – other examples include Warpath and the Aerialbots).

I don’t know, there should be a way to overcome this distinction (it’s definitely there, no mistake about it). Hound could be cast as a non-military jeep, Warpath as something like a SWAT truck, the Aerialbots as civilian aircraft. But that probably wouldn’t make them as badass they SHOULD be. Alternately they COULD be military vehicles, but undercover Autobot spies (make Hound an undercover spy – sounds great).

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    There's definately room for military bots in nest

3. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

I have mentioned this before. Basically, the decepticons original mission was to infiltrate our military bases so they could gain access to intel on where was megatron, therefore it would be logical to desguise themselves as army vehicles. They were here long before the autobots, they had time to look for the military vehicles that suited them best. The autobots arrived on earth and were imediately on a race to find Sam and the glasses, they had no time to go arround choosing alt modes, they just scaned whatever they found first (wich misteriously happened to be really really flashy vehicles ^^) The rest of the new autobots proly just did the same to hide themselves upon arrival, or just chose alt modes based on their personalities. You can see in DOTM that the decepticons that arrive via spacegate do the same thing, they pick whatever comes first that is suitable so they can imediately hide.

So you see, there is some logic to the alt modes instead of just cons are military, bots are civilians^^

4. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

"NO!!! AUTOBOTS MUST BE STREET-LEGAL VEHICLES ALWAYS!!!" - Movietards

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope so. I hate how almost all the Autobots are flashy, new, colorful expensive cars. There needs to be some variety.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm of two minds. There isn't really a reason they couldn't, other than the idea that the Autobots have come to earth and are trying to hide/fit in/integrate into human society, and military vehicles wouldn't really accomplish that. That being said, the wreckers weren't exactly inconspicuous, and the Autobots haven't seemed to do much with human society beyond NEST and Sam.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I say we break the mould and bring on military-themed Autobots. Warpath, the Aerialbots and Springer would be great.

8. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

Id love to see Springer!!

9. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

People the Aerialbots don't have to be millatry in G1 Silverbolt was civilian

10. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Wait.. Devcon was in one of Movies?

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

proctobots unite into defensor

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Given how closely the Autobots and NEST have been working together there doesn't seem to be a reason why an Autobot couldn't have a military type of alt mode. Throw in that the Wreckers were kept away from the public and that get rid of the idea that all the Autobots must have a way to blend into a civilian setting.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Warpath DAMNIT!

Plus Bulkhead, Hound and Kup.

14. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:

FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK...

[​IMG]

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Someone's a Macross fan....cool design though, why didn't it get any traction?

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Probably didn't fit what they needed in the story. "Well why does Sam need to run everywhere and teleport places if he has a jet to fly in?"

Interesting that design basically became the toy for Breakaway though.

17. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    I'd love to see some Military autobots, just so we can stop getting effing sports cars.

Really aggravating.

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Hazekiah, I'll see your Breakaway and raise you a Springer:
    Image:ROTF Springer concept.jpg - Transformers Wiki

But yeah, these were awesome concept art that got cut out. Why? To clearly emphasize the civilian aspect of the Autobots and the militancy of the Decepticons.

"There isn't really a reason they couldn't, other than the idea that the Autobots have come to earth and are trying to hide/fit in/integrate into human society, and military vehicles wouldn't really accomplish that."
    Good point. I guess the Autobots want to show/prove they're friendly by taking on generally civilian modes. The Wreckers, being commandos, tried it both ways, becoming mahine-gun-toting NASCARs - which was actually quite badass.

"People the Aerialbots don't have to be millatry in G1 Silverbolt was civilian"
    Yeah, a Concorde. Hopefully MBay will be able to get a Concorde or a 747 for a Transformer alt mode, like what happened with the Blackbird and Raptor, and ALMOST with the Globemaster in ROTF (it became Stratosphere, but only appeared in the tie-in comics).

"Wait.. Devcon was in one of Movies?"
    Devcon (DOTM) - Transformers Wiki Yes. He was.

19. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

It didn't become just a toy. That design is in the ROTF video game, and I guess they had to make a toy out of it. So he is kinda sorta a oficial autobot^^