Could it have been the war which made Optimus what he was?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Chaos Prime, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

There have been a lot of threads complaining how Optimus Prime was pretty much a murder machine in the movies.
    I too am not a big fan about that. But I'm not here to complain about that either.
    Most peoples definition of Optimus Prime is a character who uses his wisdom, and compassion as leader of the Autobots, and during the Autobot/Decepticon War.
    For the most part movie Optimus doesn't entirely fit that bill.
    I was watching a G1 episode last night, and I actually forgot that the old Optimus had a likable personality, unlike the grim and emo Optimus of the movies (and to extension TFP as well)

What if movie Optimus wasn't always grim and emo? What if the war changed Optimus Prime into that blood thirsty warrior with no emotion?

I would have liked to have heard one of the Autobots comment on how Optimus wasn't always like that. Maybe have Optimus struggle with this issue during the movies, and maybe have him resolve it towards the end of DOTM.

To me (story-wise) having Optimus Prime be this brutal killer tells me that even Optimus can succumb to a dark side, even one that he might not even get himself out of. Like war changes a person.

I mean I realize the real reason why Optimus is so brutal in the movies is bc its an action movie and its cool to watch. I think the movies would have been more interesting if they to delved further into that, and maybe it have produced a better story.

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

In the first movie, Prime mentions that if all else fails, he would sacrifice himself to destroy the Allspark. This to me shows that after all this time, all these years of fighting, he's become desperate, desperate to just end the war once and for all. If the Autobots can't win, he'll make sure to deny the Decepticons victory.

The second/third films, this has changed. He's not desperate anymore. He and the Autobots have secured a fresh planet and allied with its race. They have the advantage now, they have resources and support. They finally have the advantage over the Decepticons, and they put that advantage to good use.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Most certainly. It's entirely possible that Optimus has become what he was due to the necessity and ongoing trauma of a seemingly needless and futile conflict that has, by the end of DOTM, poisoned, choked, and destroyed his entire world, and condemned his species to a slow, cruel death by attrition and fratricide.

But they never really discuss that in regards to his character in the film. That would take up time they'd prefer to spend showing him executing prisoners and firing on his own allies.

4. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Wait what? When did he fire on the other Autobots?

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    He didn't. But there sure were some close friends of his in that building he shot poorly aimed missiles at screaming "IM COMING FOR YOU".

6. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the war definitely made him more brutal out of desperation.

7. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Pretty much.

And I don't see him as emo. I don't expect to see him slashing his wrists with an energon sword anytime soon.

8. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

I rember this episode where the aerielbots were transported back to the time when Orion wasn't Prime. And when he did become Prime he shot up a lot of con's. However I just forgot my thought

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No. It was the result of watching of him too many high octane action and slasher films.

10. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Let Optimus watch it with us, Ironhide said to Ratchet. What's the worst that could happen? Ironhide said to Ratchet.

11. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

You're right, emo was a poor choice of words. Maybe solemn, or depressed would be a better description of Optimus.

12. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Desperate in the first movie, I don't know crap in the second, solemn/depressed whatever you wanna call it in the third.

I WILL NOT BUY INTO THE IDEA THAT THE DECEPTICONS ARE THE MASTERMINDS ALL ALONG. THAT'S JUST TOO HARD TO SWALLOW WITH ALL THE INCONSISTENCIES RUNNING AROUND.

plus, We don't know jack about Optimus' character cause he has none, and it keeps changing every film.

13. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

At least he can show some fucking emotion and isn't an incompetant leader. *Glares at Prime Optimus*

Movie Prime's character description? GETS SHIT DONE.

14. ARCTrooperAlpha

Ebay:
    Explain incompetent leader, just to be sure.

And getting sh** done doesn't count as a characteristic !

The only thing Optimus finished, not counting DOTM, is killing the Fallen and destroying the Harvester. Still sounds far-fetched.

Mind you, DOTM is probably the only time Optimus shows any emotion.

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Is constantly sparing Decepticons when killing them would be a great tactical advantage.

Oh and he also killed Sentinel and Megatron, keeping the entire Human race from being enslaved. But I guess that doesn't matter.

16. ARCTrooperAlpha

Ebay:
    hmm, good point. I totally forgot about that. I don't watch much of the series. Btw, your opinion, remember when Optimus had Megatron at his mercy after battling the Insecticon ? Do you think it was worth to sacrifice Prime, Bulkhead, Bumblebee to kill Megatron ?

I already told you I wasn't going to count DOTM SPECIFICALLY !!!! That movie only had fringes that connect it to the past movies !

17. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I'd say, yes, the war has made him pretty brutal, but considering that the Decepticons don't ever stop attacking until they're dead...let's just say, you wouldn't wear shorts to go beekeeping, figuratively speaking.

I'm sure Optimus (in the first two movies, anyway) considered letting the Decepticons walk away freely after a good scuffle, but ones like Bonecrusher and Grindor were just relentless and wouldn't quit. Then by DOTM he was convinced that the Decepticons were too dangerous to be left alive.

18. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

This aspect could have been explored in the movies but somehow never was which is a missed opportunity in my opinion.

19. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Oh dear. I'm not gonna bother reading through this thread. I'm just gonna post and run for my life.

I actually would like an Optimus Prime who had changed in war. That's why I like BM Primal. But the Movies don't have the Autobots question him, show flashbacks or anything to indicate Optimus is meant to be anything other than a saint with big guns. If there was any indication that movie Optimus wasn't intended to be perfect, I would love him but as there isn't, I hate him.

20. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    That's how I look at Optimus through the movies. As someone who's been battle-hardened but war-weary. He first witnessed his race go into civil war, had some of his closest and dearest friends killed in Jazz and Ironhide, faced extinction of nearly his entire race, and then the grave endangerment of the only thing he has left to fight for in Earth (with the people of Earth even seeming to turn against him) all because of the Decepticons and the war. He's tired of it almost to the point of depression, and is sort of in a constant state of anger as things continued to get worse and worse.

During the events of the movies it became pretty clear that there would be no end to it unless the Decepticons were truly and completely defeated, and for Optimus it's down to business and really all emotions aside except for the contained pain, sadness, and anger driving him with every strike he takes at a Decepticon foe.

I'm sure there would have been a time when he wasn't so burdened by war, and he even seemed to become more so as events through the movies progressed and the situation became more dire. It would have been nice to hear some of the other Autobots talking about his character and about times before the war, but then we never really get a whole lot of meaningful lines from the other Autobots at all. Although even some kind of passing comment on it would be something.