Could Hasbro use the '07 Thrust mold?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1Wheeljack, May 28, 2008.

1. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since Hasbro likes repaints so much, but can't make Thrust as he's an exclusive, is it possible they could just take the '07 Thrust mold and repaint it into a new character, like another Rainmaker? That way all the fans can get their "$9.99 Thrust(mold)" while the people who went to '07/bought '07 Thrust won't bitch and whine. Is this plausible or just a pipe dream?

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure they can. It's my understanding that the new toolings that are made for Botcon are either destroyed after use or just aren't designed to be used more than what it takes to make whatever exclusives they need.

That said, if they could it would be cool, but I'm under the impression that the new toolings get destroyed or something.

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    which might explain why there isn't a Ravage x-9 mold anymore

(that's my theory on what happened to it anyway.)

4. G1Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Whell then could they just remold Ramjet to have similar wings to the '07 version and then do what I suggested?

5. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I would think the wings did not have metal injection molds cast for them. For limited runs they would use something less 'long lasting' like Rubber. Take a look at the customizing classes and the sprues.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/events/Botcon-2007/Misc/005.jpg.html

So I doubt a whole sprue was made for thrust. So if they DID make 10,000 thrusts, they would have 10,000 ramjet wings go in the garbage and need to make 10,000 additional wings.

This is why heads are normally the only thing remolded as they can make the heads and throw out the bits from the recolored sprues.

6. G1Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Then unless anew Thrust mold is made we will never see a Henkie Thrust/Thrust mold repaint. Scary(& It's entirerly pssible I just raised the prices of Thrust on e-bay, sorry.)

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    not only are the molds not long lasting, but I was under the impression that Fun Pub owns the parts they remold, so Hasbro can't just re-use them without licensing them back. (Which is also a big reason why we arent likely to see Aveo Swerve at retail; Chevy owns the rights to it, and Hasbro would have to buy it back)

8. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Actually, from discussing the matter with some of the FP staff at BotCon, not only can the molds be used, but Hasbro/Takara retain the rights to them. (for the BotCon toys/remolds anyway)

The whole system was basically stated to be a "gentleman's" agreement in regards to the use of BotCon related toys & exclusives.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes, exactly. Neither Hasbro or Takara has anything to stop them using the exclusive molds, but there is a general mutual respect for each region's exclusives. Things like Lawson's Blackout and Henkei Thundercracker are exceptions, not rules.

10. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

The blueprints for it most likely exist, but another mold would have to be made for the wings.

Ramjet's mold is still available, however, and could be recolored into G2 Ramjet colors as "Dirge" to give fans another seeker.

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

On that, I'm curious as to whether Ramjet has an entirely separate mould, or whether he uses most of Starscream's moulds with just a separate one for the wings, tail, head and missiles. If the Screamer mould is on its last legs (I don't know how long they last, but with all the versions of the mould that have been released already, its days must be numbered), does this stop more Ramjet equivalents being made, or does he have his own torso, legs, arms etc?

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I've been worried about this. I want many more Classics Seekers! :(  I hope Hasbro has some backup molds to keep this one viable for longer than usual.

Sadly, I doubt that is the case.

13. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Fun Pub did say over at the Allspark that the Henkei Thundercracker is ok since the colors are cartoon based with chrome on the missle launchers, so my guess is that Dirge could be released so long as it is diffent colors/ mold than Botcon ( sort like how the Target Dirge is the old Cybertron Starscream mold in Dirge colors, and yes, the TRU version of the mold could be considered a Thrust) so if Japan made Thrust/ Dirge, it would have to be in their cartoon colors. or use a modified Armada Thrust for Thrust (G1)

14. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    i believe that Ramjet's new parts meet the sufficient minimum to call for a new mold as opposed to a remold of an existing mold.

i also hope [and am optimistic] that they have more than one S1 Seeker master, [it's certainly possible given the many rereleases of the Movie toys, that may have warranted more than one master] especially as Hasbro has mentioned that they're fond of the mold and would like to see/release more [probably generic, yay] Seekers. hopefully there'll be a yellow Rainmaker and an orange/clear Sunstorm.

15. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think this may refer to the main mold for the toy itself, and it's colorations. We have been clearly told on more than one occasion that the new-mold parts used on the exclusives have rights to them held by the creater, such as FunPub or 3H. We've also been told more than once that those molds are made of softer, less durable metals in order to ensure that once they create what should be made for the exclusives, the molds would very quickly produce highly inferior copies and wear beyond usability almost immediately after.

16. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Well, I'm just repeating what was told to me.

When specifically asked about the Thrust wings, we were told that they were produced in China by proxy of Takara. Essentially, it was told to us that Takara could do what they wanted with the mold once it had been created and there was no discussion that the 'rights' to the mold were owned at all by Fun Pub. In fact, it seemed more that because Takara had the mold, ownership ultimately was seated with them, whether because of legality or because "possession is 9/10 ownership", I don't know.

What was clear was that no one seemed willing to 'rock the boat' per se with Takara as they are really the only true intermediaries with the Chinese companies.

I guess what I'm tryint to convey is that even if the rights to the mold rested with FunPub, I'm not sure if they or Hasbro would protest too loudly if Takara decided to use the mold.

On the other hand, it was crystal clear that the friendly relationship between all three entities was the largest and best stop-gate to infringement on production rights.

Did I explain this all ok? It's really kind of difficult to relate all this info third-hand and I realize that there is no real reason to put stock into what I'm saying. Still, there were about 4 or 5 of us having this conversation with FP at BotCon so I'm not the only person who got in on this info.

17. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

The Thrust wings have degraded by now, at any rate.

I would imagine that Ramjet is a separate mold- if the Starscream mold is used, all of the Starscream parts are being discarded afterwards.