Could Hasbro make Hercules at an affordable price?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Hey All,

So I realize this thread can turn into a shit spiral, like all threads, but let's try to keep it civilized.

My question is pretty simple. Since most of us own Hercules, would you say there is anything in any of the figures that would make him cost prohibitive for Hasbro to make?

I don't see anything in the figures that make me say, I don't think Hasbro cannot do this.

It do understand the fact that Hasbro would have to make 6 $30 Voyager sized figures, which they think won't sell well. But if for whatever reason decided that they can make money on this, can they make these guys at $30 a pop?

As a secondary question. Could they make FP Swindle at the $15 price tag?

I think you may get where I am going with this. If they can, and especially since they are showing that they will make a combiner for the first time in years, why not design it to be as utterly awesome as what these third party companies do? Do they think that any kid would not like the Hercules aesthetic?

2. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure they could. They have the design and production abilities.

It's their business model that means they wouldn't.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

There's definitely something that's preventing them from doing it. But of those things, it's definitely not their actual engineering and production capabilities, but more on the fiscal end.

4. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Hasbro seems to be all about what's in the movies/on TV. As soon as a combiner shows up on TF Prime, I bet we'll see one in the line. We're getting the FoC Bruticus (If the line isn't cancelled) due to the videogame.

I think they COULD do it, but I doubt they WOULD. Alot of kids today, who ARE their market for these, have no idea what a G1 Devastator even is. It's not fresh in their minds. It's like toy telephones - you see them in stores, and they still have DIALS on them. That's not what phones LOOK LIKE anymore - but anyway -

As mush as I'd love it, I wouldn't see it selling well to the kids who'll want TF Prime toys.

5. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    It entirely depends on the retailers wanting them or not. I think if FOC Bruticus sells well the retailers will ask for future combiners, I think the economy will be the biggest factor. With FOC Bruticus I have some conserns: 1. His back looks hollow 2. one of his hands is molded open and the other closed 3. not a big deal, but he has no scramble city style interchangeable limbs.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yes and No.

Yes because they have the design power to do so, at an affordable price.

No because, the market scope they go for seems to dictate light and sound and auto gimmicks that actually compromises the engineering. 3rd Party knows fans don't care about light up things, or optimus saying a phrase, or spring loaded and auto transformation.

If Hasbro decides to go in the direction of no gimmick, all articulation, and G1 homage with modern update, yes, they can design a dev and yes, it will probably come out to be 100$ bucks or a bit over that in total. All of this is possible, but as of now none of it will happen until the market scope and goal changes.

7. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    Yes but hasbro hates us.

8. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I don't think Has will ever make a combiner on the scale of Herc, but I am hopeful that they will make more combiners in the future. I believe the sales of their new Brut will have a huge influence on whether they do that or not. And based on the reaction to Brut, it doesn't sound too promising... but I still can hope.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Considering the individuals are basically scout toys at Voyager size with a bit of extra surface detail, and let's say they had no restrictions outside budget, probably. Herc, when broken down, is no more intricate than a regular Hasbro TF, it just combines. And each bot is a specific limb, so it doesn't have to double as a leg or anything. It partsforms, too, which would be even easier. Hasbro's biggest thing with Combiners is not wanting any useless kibble from the combined mode leftover. That's why the Energon combiners had those weird hands and feet, because they were guns. If they didn't care about a hand being just a hand or a head being just a head I don't see why not. They could probably shrink it, too, and make it even more affordable. But even as Voyager-sized Scout/Deluxes, they'd probably only cost the regular Voyager price a piece.

Based on the reaction to Bruticus' prototype. Those colours aren't final. Hasbro Reps can barely make good deluxes look flattering, it's no wonder they can't get an upscaled scramble-city combiner to stand decent.

10. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    no because he would end up looking like foc bruticus which imo is a half arsed attempt at making a combiner! even their efforts bitd looked so much better

11. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I don't think the colors are the main reason that Brut has gotten a less than warm reception.

I do think that when the actual figure is released it could be better than what we have seen so far. But at the moment, there are only a few pics to base one's opinion of Brut on, and based on those pics, it doesn't look too promising.

12. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    "6 individual $30 Voyagers won't sell."

Well, gee, Hasbro, we all just bought 6 individual $100 Voyagers. Some even bought two of each. With the whole triple-changer aspect of it, at $30 a pop, I guarantee there'd be plenty of people buying three of each. And then there's all the people who want Herc but can't afford it or justify spending that much. There's more guaranteed sales.

Oh, but there's no way they'll sell because kids won't want them.

They seriously need to have a marketing employee join a bunch of message boards. Maybe then, they'd at least stop cancelling the things that everyone wants, if not avoiding the garbage that no one wants, even kids (no one's buying the movie Bumblebees - no one).

And I still don't believe everyone on the boards who say that we're such a small portion of their sales, either, with most people buying multiples whether for keeping one packaged, or multiple display modes, or one for their kids/one for themselves (even scalpers contribute to their sales). If anything, I'd easier swallow that we're the majority of their sales, not the other way around.

[​IMG]

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Actually from what I've read, yeah it is. The main concerns by most are colours and the arms in combined mode. I don't see many people gripe about the legs or Torso or the individual robots. However one of those is not final, and one I'm convinced is just laziness in displaying the toys.

Then you are in serious denial. There's way, way more children who buy TFs then adults. Transformers are children's toys. FOR CHILDREN. And factor in only a portion of that already small group is even a part of online message boards, and yet another portion of that shops for items like this. IF they could afford it. And of course that's saying everyone would want it. Some people don't like Devastator or combiners at all.

The more factors you enter the smaller the actual group who buys this gets.

14. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

I guess I haven't read up on it as much as you have. But from what I have read, it is the arms (as you have mentioned), the size of Onslaught as both the torso and as an individual bot (I myself have not seen a pic of him in botmode though) and overall proportions in combined mode (which many have speculated is in part due to mistranformations).

The only gripe I have read about poor color choices so far have been that Vortex is red and gold. What other color choices have people been unhappy with?

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure they could do it without too much trouble.

As for all the people who say a Hasbro Herc won't sell on account of kids not going for stuff like that... how sure are you that kids wouldn't go ga-ga over it? The thing's a giant freaking robot made out of six smaller ones, who transform into construction vehicles. The very definition of cool.

16. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

FOC Bruticus looks horrid. Hasbro, as of right now, cannot make even decent combiners much less quality combiners like 3rd parties.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The parents won't "go ga-ga" over the prospect of buying six figures at once, though, which is part of the logistics problem with Combiners.

It's not that Hasbro doesn't have the will or the capability of producing its Combiners, it's that optimizing their release in a way that fits with general market concerns is nigh impossible.

18. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    They can easily do this and for $20 a figure. They just don't want to. They'd rather give us Bumblebees with only one hand.

19. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

I think we will get Devastator but will not be like G1 look, and will not be as big as Hercules.

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They already are.

Hello Kre-o...