Could DOTM Toys Be Released Early?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Haloid1177, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This seems to be a common question lately. Most people shut the idea down, but I think it's possible.

1. For such a big toy release, a Monday isn't the best day for them to be released. I've bitched about this ever since I heard about it at Toy Fair, but it is just stupid. If retailers were smart, they would complain about it. On the weekend, kids would rush out the the store with their parents and find wonderful Transformers goodness all over the store. On a Monday, the parents go shopping. Let's face it, they probably won't buy anything. I remember the Saturday ROTF toys were released at my local Target, there were about 11 kids all waiting at the door before Target opened. When the doors were unlocked, they all rushed for the toy aisle. It was pretty cool.
    2. ROTF was scheduled to be released on a Saturday. Wal-Mart put the toys out on the Friday before, and other retailers followed suit. Couldn't this happen again, theoretically? It'd make sense. Hell, it's make more sense then when the DOTM toys were released on a Friday.

What do you guys think? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I think it's possible.

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Well a TRU in my region broke the street date and put out the DOTM deluxe wave 1 last week.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Did they let you buy any of them?

4. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty sure ROTF toys weren't scheduled for Saturday release. I remember it being officially listed as a Thursday or Friday, because I had to schedule my week around that. Either way, I'm confident that most stores will stick to the street date. There may seem like a bunch of stores releasing things early, but it's more an issue of people who see unexpected things speaking out and everyone else being quiet.

5. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I kinda hope it comes out on a Monday.

The earliest the kids could go get DOTM meh-ness is after school. I would go in before school to buy my toys. I hope Walmart has plentiful DOTM when I get there at 6AM. If there are kids, well, I have my golf club.

If it comes out earlier, hell. I have not seen Saturday morning since the 2nd grade.

What about the first movie toys? Those didn't come out early, I don't think. Maybe if they all came out early, I would assume DOTM would, but you never know.

6. Sepultron

Sepultron .

I'll be lucky if my Target stocks them 3 weeks later than the official release date.

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Its possible. There's at least two Walmarts where I'm at where overnight stockers tend to...."put stuff out earlier" than when they're supposed to :tongue:  I've gotten some Star Wars stuff and TF stuff that way :D  And yeah, sometimes it didn't ring up, but I had a good talk with the manager there and they let me purchase said items :D 

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Kids don't follow toy news like collectors do, they don't know release dates/street dates and what not. It just doesn't matter to them when they are released, they wouldn't know until they go to the toy store that they were out regardless of what day of the week they release.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hope not. I'd like it if they put out the remaining Generations toys before they release DOTM.

10. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    Well I can't wait til DOTM. If i see them early, I'm picking them up. Near my town, I don't know of many other collectors (only 1). If they do come out on a weekday, I'll just drive to WM after school. Not that big of a deal. There shouldn't be any kids waiting in lines @ WM to get DOTM figures.
    I still need a lot of generations and even RTS figures. Not all waves of RTS deluxes have hit, and the latest Generations I've seen is Kup (JUST TODAY).
    Later this week (Spring Break) I'm going to target and take advantage of the clearance. I'd love to help them sell remaining stock if its the new stuff.

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    My local Target stocked RotF figures exactly on it's official street date and they had plenty. Not too worried to wait until the weekend of their release. I'm pretty sure I'm gunning for most of the first releases...

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

It was in the next province over, I'm not driving 3 hours for DOTM deluxes. But I haven't heard if anyone tried to buy them.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    The street date got broken plenty for ROTF so its possible it could happen again for DOTM. I can still remember the epic thread it spawned.

14. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    It could happen but if Shockwave isn't released on that day I don't care. I'm waiting for a price drop or at least June on the others.

They were scheduled to release on May 30th, 2009 which was a Saturday. It wasn't until 7:20 P.M. on the 28th that we first heard that Wal-Mart would start selling them at midnight the 29th, well some of them anyway damn local Wal-Mart, only giving us a few hours to prepare. Target and Toys R Us then moved to release them that day also.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/236086-wal-mart-release-rotf-toys-tonight-midnight.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/236183-target-informed-release-rotf-toys-5-29-a.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/236316-wave-3-4-rotf-voyagers.html

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread makes me laugh. Its like people are thinking these things are going to be scarce. They are going to be EVERYWHERE and in HUGE quantities. Like every other toyline, the first few waves are always overproduced. Even if you wait until the weekend, I don't think there will be any problem getting what you want.

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    If wave 7 isn't out on day one I'll be pissed and call Hasbro.

17. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My question is simply this, who the hell came up with street dates for toys? I don't remember when I collected Star Wars toys back in the 90s did they ever have street dates. When the store got them in they would put them out which is how I think they should do with the Transformers toys. Man I remember the day they released The Phantom Menace toys. I was at a TRU at midnight lol it was crazy. I'm thinking Sentinel Prime might be a little hard to get maybe.

18. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    well they dont for anything but the debut of the toys

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know how it is for other toy & hobby lines, but pretty much every cardgame I've played has had/has really strict rules in regards to distribution & play legality (ironically, the latter of which doesn't really apply to toys hah), so I'm not the least bit surprised to see these new TF's be subject to their own guidelines.

Not like any of this matters for me though, because my retailers are heavily behind as it is, and I probably won't be seeing any of this until most of you guys are already sick of it. Such are the spoils of living in a shit down in Canada.

20. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

From the favorite shelfwarmers thread:

Funny, but that doesn't seem very far behind to me.