Could cassettes become players?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering the cassettes are also rectangular, could the robot forms be enlarged to become players?
    For example, could a Soundwave size cassette player have four legs, a tail, and a feline head to become Ravage and thus become a Soundwave size Ravage?

Wonder if this idea would sell.

2. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So confused. So are you saying that Soundwaves cassettes could have cassettes of their own? Like cassette-inception? Casseption!

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In Soviet Russia, Russian Dolls are Transformers.

4. Funky Munky

News Credits:
    No I meant cassette players could have more than two legs, kind of like cassettes are more than just Rumble, Frenzy, Rewind, and Eject.

5. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

The question isn't "could" they; the question is "would" they. I'm sure any experienced TF-style toy designer (Hasbro/Takara or 3rd party) could make a four legged robot mode for almost any alt.

There's nothing mgical about four legs that's limited to rectangles. Cassettes, players, cars, planes. There's no question they "could".

The question is would they? Humanoid robots are more popular than quadrupeds.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    ...and here I thought this was going down some weird fan fic where cassettes hung out in bars picking up chicks and yelled out "hey playa" to each other.

Are you asking if a "Cassette Player" (e.g. a device to play audio cassettes) could transform into something with more than two legs, such as a cougar or a Rhino al la ravage or Ramhorn?

If so then yes of course it "could" happen.

7. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, he's saying if you had Soundwave (or Blaster's) minions upscaled to soundwave size. They'd obviously no longer be able to fit into the compartments.

And the answer to your question is Alternators Ravage (not Battle ravage).

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the end we all know this equates to a fail. The lashing I got for even suggesting soundwave as a cassette player in the chug series shows that this idea is beyond reasonable.

None of the fic suggests it and , cassette players being outdated, it seems unecessary.

Fanfic wise you're free to do whatever but toy wise I can't see it. I can't even get into the Alternator Ravage.

9. Funky Munky

News Credits:
    My idea was like these animals would become self-recorders... and thus larger in size for more detail. :cool: 

10. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Soundwave barely got an MP for being a cassette player ( outdated tech ). I doubt they wouldd persue the idea outside of it turning into one of the most iconic ( and Coolest ) transformer ever.

11. Funky Munky

News Credits:
    No sure what your MP stands for, but for my self-recorder idea, the animals can become recordable MP3 players... capture/download/retrieve their own data and play it back themselves WITHOUT Soundwave.

12. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP = Masterpiece

13. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the idea behind G1 Soundwave is that the animals are linked to him (contrast to DOTM Laserbeak), hence him playing back. The limitation on self-playback wasn't because there alt was a tape and Cybertronian technology couldn't cope. In other words, their alts were selected to match their nature (extensions of Soundwave) rather than their alts dictating their nature (crap, we're tapes, we need to pair up with a bot that's a player!).

14. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been done, failed:

Night Beat 7 - Movie Real Gear and TECH - TFW2005

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was told that real gear line failed and from the amount I saw on clearance back then I wouldn't necessarily discount that. A win would mean a repeat performance I would think. We never did get the xerox lazerbeak after all...:D 

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The TECH line was an abysmal failure, I think, but the Real Gear transformers seemed to sell pretty well around me, at least, and were probably some of my favorite toys of the first movie line.

It's kind of pointless for the cassettes to turn into cassette players instead at this point, since it's an obsolete technology. Could they turn into more modern music-players? Sure, and as mentioned above, they have.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

I could see Rumble and Frenzy acting just like this, of course. :D 

The trouble with updates of Soundwave, as I see it, is that no other combination of media player and media has quite the roboplastic suitability of cassette plus player. Tape cassettes are little machines in their own right, with screws and moving parts; they're blocky enough to make a good altmode; it was normal to have a whole bunch of tapes sitting around. The internal storage and ejection is a great visual. Vinyl records and CDs are too thin and flat, and they're just one piece. Memory cards are tiny and flat. USB thumb drives are okay as altmodes, but external attachment just doesn't have the right kind of flair.

MP3 players and a player-dock Soundwave are closer, perhaps, but again, the usual docking attachment doesn't have much drama, and if you make them ejectable like cassettes, it's somewhat of a forced analogy. MP3 players are, perhaps, a little too independent to match up well with tapes, since they're complete devices in their own right.

There is just something unforced and parallel about the interactions in both modes that no Soundwave with updated alt-mode technology has quite been able to capture.