Could Breakdown come back in TF Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by xMAXIMUSPRIMEx, Apr 12, 2012.

1. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    Unlikely.
    You can see his body, but you can't feel his mind inside anymore.

2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Humans slip into comas. Isn't that what stasis lock is? I don't see how this is any different. While there a lot of similarities between us, I think there are just as many more. Should we assume that what can happen to the human body can happen to a Cybertronian or vice versa? The Transformers have had so many writers and not many of them have gone in depth about the physiology--hopefully, Prime does. Until we know more about their bodies, I don't think we can truly say one is gone if their body still remains (and Hasbro doesn't stick their hand in the mix)...

3. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    I refuse to believe there's the slightest chance that Breakdown could still be alive. We saw what happened to him. We heard him scream after Airachnid's attack. We saw the end result.

At most I could possibly believe is that Breakdown might have retained some of his memories, but even that doesn't seem plausible, especially since no other character has done it.

All of this also appears to be a major cop-out against what the writers said they wouldn't do.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Megatron had a pretty big hole in his chest and yet he lived. Break down was torn to pieces with no holes on him. I don't see how you'd accept one come back and not the other...

5. StarryAqua

News Credits:
    It has to be hole wounds on the chest? It can't be torn limbs or decapitation? I know this is still a cartoon, but that's a lot of accurate maneuvers to kill a Cybertronian.

6. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

My dear Transformed, you seem to have forgotten the exact reason why Megatron survived; the blood of the Chaos Bringer. And even when Starscream removed it, he was at least dumped on life-support.

Breakdown, alas, did not have either of those.

7. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

Hes dead Jim.

They have gone out of their way to show that transformers in Prime have pretty strict rules as far as their biology is concerned and I think decaptitation being fatal is one of them.

I think there is also an interview saying when a character dies in prime they 'stay dead'. It would be a bit of a cheat to say that and then so heavily imply someone is dead only to bring them back. Megatron doesnt count because of his semi supernatural status when infused with dark energon but Breakdown was just some dude. A cool dude maybe but nothing indicated he was in stasis.

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    How is that realistic with characters that are robots?

Anything short of damage to the Spark (chamber) or causing them to lose their Energon shouldn't be fatal to them. You can argue that they are alien life forms, which yes is true, but that doesn't change their very nature. They're balls of energy within a robotic chassis.

On top of that: We have already seen that their 'organs' can survive outside their body for extended periods without refueling. That already kind of negates that decapitations would be fatal. If their components can survive independently, then the rest of the body shouldn't be able to die without the signals of the 'brain'. It should still be able to support the Spark, and then it'd be a simple matter of reconnecting the head to repair them.

It does follow Prime's internal (somewhat twisted) logic, but I just don't agree that it's more "realistic".

And no, I am really not a fan of how easy to kill the Prime characters are. It detracts from what makes them special: that they are living technological beings, with everything that implies. They're not organic beings with armor on.

9. Bottle Fairy

Bottle Fairy TV Tropes addict

As himself, no. I think it's completely safe by now to say that Breakdown is dead for good. Airachnid decapitated him and tore the rest of his body up in pieces, which is apparently all you need to do to kill a Transformer in this series. They've made it perfectly clear that once a character dies, they stay dead. So no placing Sparks in new bodies or any mutated immortal Spark business. But seeing how the latest episode ended, Breakdown will be "resurrected" as Silas.

10. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

When did a 'organ' act on its own? I honestly can't think of a time without zombies unless you're counting the T-Cog not decomposing which would be sort of wierd considering it is made of metal.

I've thought of fatality of Transformers by decapitation before and have come up with two possibilities. One, despite the fact that the Spark is what gives them their 'souls', thet still need a body and it uses 'organs' to run. This makes some sense because in "Beast Wars", they introduced the failsafe Stasis Sleep, which conserves energon to keep the spark safe for a little while when in critical damage. So, if the body is damaged beyond repair, the spark is no longer sustained. Or, it isn't fatal in which case the Transformer's central processor is detached from the body which would probably result in a coma like state. Obviously, neither is preferable to a transformer and should not be taken as just a 'rough day'.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Only if Silas when his mind is merged and is ends up starting a baqck up file of Breakdown's memory.

12. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heck, Skyquake crashed into the ground and he died... Poor Breakdown is lost to us, alas...

13. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Stasis lock would still mean you have your vital organs attached. Believe me. You need to understand this. This is not like attaching a robot part back on and having them come back. It's not like downloading them to a new body and having them be ok. Their Sparks need to be alive/functioning. If his head wasn't decapitated I would say there could be a chance. But it was very obvious when they showed that scene of his head and his face that they wanted to drive home.. he is dead.

Until the show proves otherwise it's pretty much set this way. If you lose your head or if you spark is crushed (Cliffjumper?) or lose some major organ/body part you are dead in this series. Think of them less as robot and more as living beings. Can you rip someone's head off then reattach it and have them live? When thinking of Transformers now think of them as living beings that live and die. Not robots that just function and can be replaced/repaired.

14. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Bluestreak 's #2 Fan

While I agree with you that they are living beings and can live and die; their robot connection cannot be ignored. Nor can their alien biology. What you really mean is "Can you rip off a humans head off and reattach it and have them live? They aren't piece by piece replicas for humans. For example, their sparks aren't the same as our hearts. Our hearts are simply pumps that allow blood to travel past our body and drop off materials like oxygen. Their sparks are their entire essense while the rest of their bodies are just physical forms that allow their sparks to function. Think of what fits the Transformers not what fits humans. . It simply matters what 'organs' are in their heads and if any are nessesary to sustain the spark. Also, it has been shown several times that taking off most body parts has no affect on the Transformers ability to live. Bumbleebee survived his T-cogsectomy pretty well while Starscream was able to replace his arm with no pain (except for Knockout's ears from hearing him whine).

Edit: I want to clarify that I believe that Breakdown is dead. But I thought it had more to do with being stabbed by airachnid and harvested for parts by MECH. I was just pointing out the faulty reasoning of comparing humans to cybertronians and saying that it is logical for one because it works for the other. They are two very different beasts under the armor plating

15. Mewtwo

I get what you are saying and I agree it's not a comparable exact compared to humans. I just used that reference because in this series as the movies it's been shown. You lose your head, your dead.

I know from past series we have seen them even be talking heads. But that seemed to be before this whole driving force to bring it home that these are living beings. And although I am sure there are some insects or animals out there that could probably live for awhile without a head I'm saying most can't. If we are to look at them in the past way where it seemed they were focusing more on the "Robot" aspect then having a head come off didn't seem to be too much more then any other part coming off and it could just be re-attached. Even in Beast Wars and they had sparks. So I see your point. I am just saying in this series (and possibly all others following) it really is being shown that if you are too badly damaged or severely injured to the point you can't be repaired, then you die. And like I said. No head, your dead.

Until the series proves me wrong otherwise I am going to go by this because it really seems they are driving this point across way more then ever before.

16. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

The difference between Breakdown's "death" and the confirmed deaths of other named characters so far is that they had major internal organ damage. Bee ripped out Skyquake's internals, Seaspray blew up, Cliffjumper got speared through the chest, leaking fluids everywhere. The only one we don't know about is Tailgate, because as I recall we had a gory discretion shot there - we saw Arcee's face in reaction instead of the deathblow. Breakdown on the other hand was dismembered, but his torso appeared undamaged.

I think there's enough evidence to say he never died, just as there is plenty to say he did.

17. Mewtwo

That head shot with the careful panning to show the morbid expression on his face wasn't enough of a clue?

Well you guys can go on believing he will come back and be ok. I know it's going to sound arrogant to me but I'm pretty sure he's dead and isn't coming back as himself. Period.

I guess I'll be proven right or wrong one way or another.

18. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    No?

19. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    But inspector #5 failed. Breakdown was built without a backup unit.

20. StarryAqua

News Credits:
    . . he was dismembered . . . and decapitated. And none of that is supposed to cause internal injuries?

In my opinion, the saddest part would be if Breakdown did survive somehow. That would probably be the biggest lucky break a character can get without the team saying they technically didn't break their promise about character deaths.

I can only push logic so far in a cartoon, but these are some high-profile writers we're talking about.