Could Barricade have been a reused model?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sideways77, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I, as well as others were surprised to see our favorite bad cop Barricade again, and even taking a kill. But does anyone else just think he was a reused model for another character, like Sideways, Long Haul, or Brawl?

Some things that leave me to believe that are:

1. He doesn't transform

2. He has Welker's Soundwave voice

3. He wasn't mentioned or referenced

4. He was so brief in his screentime.

So what to you guys think?

2. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he was probably written in as a generic, but someone decided to throw him in as a bit of closure for him.

3. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

Nope.

4. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

If so there would've been atleast another barricade in there to indicate so.
    Its safe to say this was the original barricade, and also indicates barricade is one of the few bots who never actualy had clones

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Hardly, the way he acts is inconsistent with the way generics act:

A - Those generics only talk in Cybertronian gibberish, Barricade talked in clear english constantly.

B - Generics are random Mooks, Barricade displayed authority with the Protoforms [there's one scene where he basically smacks one in the face for letting the Autobots escape or something similar], something a generic never did.

C - He killed a character in plain sight, while cackling like a madman, generics never did anything similar [hell, most of them didn't even get a chance to fire their weapon before being killed].

D - One of his lines sounds like "Remember me?" [and he was talking to Bumblebee, to boot]. I find it difficult to believe that said line happened to be uttered by the disappeared-but-just-returned-guy [and it was said to his arch-enemy, to boot].

E - Now add all the previous factors and think: If they were aiming for a random generic, then why did he have so many unique traits? And why did they cast precisely the character who disappeared in the first movie? It's too much coincidence in my books.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    He coud be, but since his model's never been reused before and has no alterations why not let it be Barricade? He wasn't exactly a no-name. He was the first TF to talk in the movies and was the first 'Con to fight an Autobot.

7. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I think he was meant to be Soundwave and latter a generic. They just put him in as Barricade at the last second. This is clear because, as you said, the small screen time and Soundwaves voice plus he wasn't in the novel.

8. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Pretty much this.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Occam's Razor, let's go with the simplest explanation: that was indeed Barricade.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Was he a reused model? Well, yes, of Barricade. Could he have been a reused model? Again... Yes? I guess?

I agree with both Split Lip and Soundwaverulls. But Balder raises some good points too. DotM Barricade is basically in the middle between "an actual character for the audience to remember" and "generic 'Con to be lost amongst the carnage". I honestly don't think that the role was written specifically for the character of Barricade, but rather "a Decepticon holds Bumblebee captured", and they just decided to save money/possibly have some closure and throw Barricade in there.

Could his role have been filled by another Decepticon? Of course. Was it nice to seem him one last time in the trilogy? I think so.

I would've preferred it if Soundwave had been in Barricade's place for the execution scene. It would've given Soundwave an actual kill, given him a few more lines and just beefed up his cred a bit. Plus, you know, he had Welker's pseudo-Soundwave voice anyway.

11. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I personally think he was originally [in earlier stages of production] a random Protoform who just held BB, and Soundwave was the one supposed to kill WheeljaQ [thus why Barry has Frank Welker's voice in that scene].

Then someone had the idea to put Barricade there, and then his role was extended accordingly [making him kill WheeljaQ, adding his english lines and his display of authority].

That seems to be the most believable theory in my opinion because it would be uncharateristic of the movieverse to have a Protoform to do everything Barricade did on DOTM [smacking Protoforms around, saying english lines, killing WheeljaQ].

12. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

He was just in there for closure, since he was one of the few Decepticons that stood out to the audience, and people wondered what had become of him.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Indeed. He wasn't generic enough to be a generic. Having him there nicely rounded up all the Decepticons and got them properly dealt with.