Could a simpler aesthetic work in live-action?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP84, Aug 16, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I've noticed that I've been pretty silent on here lately since I've been spending a lot of time over on the SuperHeroHype.com forums but I'm back so I wanted to start off by posing a question: Could a simpler aesthetic similar to any of the post-Beast Era Transformers series (not counting the live-action movies, Animated, or Prime) work out in live-action? Just for some examples: Robots In Disguise, Cybertron, War For Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron, etc.

2. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Yes, it's quite possible that a simpler aesthetic can work in a live-action film. War for/Fall of Cybertron retain the simple aspect of G1 with a more movie-esque design to them, so they are a good example, I would say.

But me personally, I prefer the more complex nature of the Bayformers; seeing all the gears, pistons and other such aspects shifting when they so much as move, let alone transform, really grips my attention. While a simpler nature can work, I much prefer what we already have in regards to visual aesthetic.

3. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Nah... I'm fine with the Bayformers look. Much more detail, it's amazing.

4. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think that if you took RID Optimus Prime and gave him a little more of that complexity that you see in the Bay films, it could look great. I like organic lines and complex features as long as they can still look good. I still like some of the character designs from the films but after watching the movies more and more, I feel that they should be a little more toned down. Less rusty pipes and giant bended metal parts sticking out. You can have detail as long as you don't over do it.

5. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I understand your point, but I don't feel the Bayformers overdid it; if anything, I feel it just shows not only how lovingly they were crafted with such attention to detail, but an impressive interpretation of a mechanical being capable of shifting into a different form. We how Optimus' truck mode really compacts into him, the doors folding onto his chest, the exhaust pipes on his shoulders, the engine sinking into his torso. There's just much to see, so much going on, from his cranial armour sliding into place to the the tires on his legs squealing to a stop, the little details to the major bulk of the shifting.

It's honestly breathtaking.

6. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

The details you mentioned are fine with me, I just think that things like those giant metal pieces sticking out from Prime's arm are out of no where and have no purpose. For me, I think that the more detail there is, the merrier, as long as it's not extraneous and unnecessary.

7. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

I doubt they're 'out of nowhere'. Take Crowbar, one of the Dreads, for example; while he transforms, his headlights and grill fold onto his chest, before they are further compacted under extra panelling.

The point being things extend and contract. Prime's arm extensions are most likely pieces of the engine's framework extended outwards. A simple addition to his appearance.

Nevertheless, I get your point; there are features that would seem unnecessary. And in that regard, the choice whether they are good or not is down to opinion.

8. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think a more TFP or WFC aesthetic is likely, given how Aaron Archer and his crew are handling the idea of continuity (im not saying the new movie will be in continuity with Prime or IDW comics, simply that how the characters look is going to be more Prime or FOCish, its make more sense from a marketing perspective to have the characters relatively consistent across medias, ie TF4, bet you Ratchet will be back to his g1 color scheme).

just had a thought, wonder if Hasbro will force Bulkhead into the mix of bots, just to resonate with TFP.

9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

A simpler aesthetic would work so much better than the Bayformers style.
    Personally, I can't see jack shit because I'm so overwhelmed with too much detail; sometimes I can't even tell what I'm looking at.
    I'm sorry, but unless you have 20/20 vision; the aesthetic is not working.

10. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Keep the varied PROPORTIONS, then simplify the panels and surface details.

Making the proportions all humanoid uniform, now THAT would be the biggest mistake to make.

11. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I definitely think a simpler, more G1/WFC-esque style would work. I think the best aesthetic would be something kind of similar to this Gundam statue:

[​IMG]

I don't think it would look at all out-of-place or anything in a live action movie.

12. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

Nope. I love the designs. Keep them exactly as they are.

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yup.
    Probably even better.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    A lot of different aesthetics could work, however there are certain design features that will never look right in a 'real' setting.

Take that Gundam pic. Look at his joints, the elbows, wrists, and hips especially. That is absurdly, absurdly limited articulation which just will not work for an action movie (I'm assuming, of course, Gundams aren't 50's-style clanking tin-can robots lacking any form of personality). It'd need something a lot more "organic"; it doesn't have to be millions of random machine parts, but solid blocks with awkward hinges like that really won't animate well.

15. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Besides, most of those Gundams look the same to me. They all the proportions of a guy in a suit.

16. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Theoretically, yes. Nothing is stopping them from 'working' in live-action, whether it's live-action G1, live-action RID, live-action TFP, etc.. "Super highly complex Bayformers" is not the only way Transformers could be visualized. It merely happens to be the way Bay & Co. wanted to go. After all, it's their movie. Every piece of Transformers media seems to have it's own, unique style and visual identity, it's only natural that the live-action movieverse would have their own as well. As much as I like the Bayformers aesthetic, personally, I think TFP and WFC/FOC would be absolutely fantastic in live-action as well.

I think the main thing that "haters" (and I use that term in the sense of the people who claim "anything would be better than Bayformers", "as long as it wasn't Bay's designs it'd be good", etc.. If you genuinely don't like the designs, that's fine. :)  ) seem to forget is that there's more than just two options. A lot of people seem to view there only being two options.

a.) Bayformers designs
    or
    b.) something 'good'.

To them, there's nothing in between. There are dozens - if not hundreds - of different styles and designs that could've ended up in the movie. We could've had a direct translation of G1 on the screen. We could've had something like RID which emphasized asymmetry. We could've had something like TFP which has a lot of smooth, organic lines. We could've had walking steampunk/rivet-laden Iron Giant designs. We could've had highly alien Predator/Alien-esque designs for everyone. We could've ended up with something that had every character look like a medieval knight. We could've ended up with something like the Gundam image up above. And believe it or not, we could've ended up with something even more detailed and complex than Bayformers. And in between all of those options of dozens of other iterations. So many ways things could've turned out, at the hands of any one different filmmaker. And each one of those above-mentioned aesthetics would've had it's group of supporters and it's group of nay-sayers. Some people hate the G1 style. Some people love it. Some people hate the WFC/FOC style. Some people love it. Some people hate the Bayformers style. Some people love it. Same thing can be said for any possible aesthetic they might choose to do. It's all subjective.

But until a different design aesthetic happens, it's Schrodinger's Aesthetic. Until we see one fully conceptualized and brought to the screen, it could both work and not work at the same time. We've seen unfinished ILM tests of them trying what appears to be a straight translation of G1. I, personally, don't care for it. But they're tests. I'm sure with some tweaking and updating it could work. That is, if they wanted to do an out-and-out G1 aesthetic. Which they didn't. Can you really fault them for doing what they want to do?

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Considering it would be a company like ILM working on the characters, pretty much any sort of look is possible. These are companies that make a living on bringing the impossible to life on film so the look is really only limited by what the production team wants the look to be.

Personally I'd like a sleeker look. Something like a Ferrari is a sexy car because it's such a nice sleek design, take a car and start adding random bits all over the body and you just end up with an ugly car.

I work on a machine at work and I keep on old clunker on the road so it' pretty much ingrained in me with the engineering motto of don't go adding bits just to add bits. Simpler is better so if you add something it better have a good purpose.

I know some people like the move designs, but all I see is pile of random parts sticking out all sorts of places and a distracting design because the human eye can only follow so much at one once.

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Likely. I imagine that if a future film series wants a smoother aesthetic, they could take a lot of inspiration from the Iron Man films.

19. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Something on the lines of Prime,WFC/FOC,and the IDW MTMTE styles can work very well on the silver screen.

20. JDK

JDK Seen Your Member

News Credits:
    No. It would look really, really fake. The tech just isn't there yet. It would be comical, nobody outside of the fandom would pay to see it, Paramount would lose millions.

Yeah, Bayformers don't necessarily look hyper-real, but the complexity distracts from the unreality. Plus, it would be hard to justify it, plot-wise. Would an audience really buy that an alien robot just happened to have its big, blocky, metal limbs arranged to transform into Earth vehicles? The series of tiny parts doesn't make sense, per say, but it's not so blatantly offensive to the viewer's logic.