Could a Shattered Glass cartoon work?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Heliblade, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

On one hand the sheer weird factor might be enough to attract attention and make a few seasons, on the other hand the point of SG is that it's a con exclusive thing. I dunno, just a thought. What do you guys think?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    No, I don't think it can, at least not outside of appealing to a small audience who are already into the franchise (like some of the DC animated films). As a subversion of the "status quo" of the Transformers universe, it sort of requires knowledge of the "original" relationships and concepts in order to appreciate what's going on and why that matters. That makes it a lot harder for a new audience to 'jump on'. I don't really think, with that subversive aspect absent, that the characters and stories are all that unique to set it above the rest of Transformers fiction in comparison to a 'new' show based in the familiar form we've seen so far.

I could see a comic miniseries, short story pages or maybe an animated short or few, maybe a machinima series like theyve done for Combiner Wars. This isn't all that different (other than the machinima) than what we've seen so far with the concept, however. I could also see one-off shattered glass episodes in other TF shows, as well, similar to the 'mirror universe' star trek episodes that spawned the concept.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dropkick

Dropkick Festive DK

Ebay:
    Google+:
    I think if it worked like Flashpoint does for DC, or the original concept of Marvel Cliffjumper going to SG land, than maybe it could work. It's always been an interesting concept to explore, and I think that it would be a good thing to explore different things for Transformers.
    It's been a con-exclusive thing, yeah, but I think it may end up working well. That's just my opinion though.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

It could. There have been all sorts of alternate universe stories in comics and TV series. However, I agree that you'd have to work on a very well understood relationship that was inverted, in order to even have the casual observer take notice. Otherwise you end up with than Infinite Wars on Infinite Worlds debacle that no one really enjoyed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

I don't see how it can without still having the Brand's Fab Four in it as they normally are - meaning Optimus and Bumblebee as good guys and Megatron and Starscream as bad guys. Unless, of course, they did it where somehow the four of them accidentally get swapped out somehow with their counterparts from the SG reality, and the people making the show could find a way to keep the whole thing afloat (basically, think the "Mirror, Mirror" episode of "Star Trek" blown up into a full season).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    It might do better as a miniseries catering to deeper fans of the series than for outsiders or more casual fans. Maybe 3 or 4 episodes.

7. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Phase 7er

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I feel like the only people who would like it are some of us hard core fans while the outside world wouldn't want to see their precious goody-too-shoes bumblebee/goldbug turn bad, or just wouldn't understand it.

8. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    If they (inevitably) still want Optimus Prime in the show as a friendly, benevolent leader and Megatron as his deadly archnemesis even in the negative universe, then they should just do a Movieverse Shattered Glass series.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Has delusions of grandeur

Story arc as part of a larger series? All for it.

As a whole series? Not interested.

Why? It is the exact same story with the names swapped. One undeniably evil faction ( decepticons/ autobots) wants to conquer the earth for dubious reasons and another good faction (autobots/ decepticons) allies with the humans to defend us from them. If we are looking to do something different in the next transformers series, it should be something actually different.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'd watch it. As long as Cullen gave Optimus his Venger voice.

Welker's shattered glass Megatron would sound like Trailbreaker? Maybe get the actor who voiced Beast Megatron and Animated Optimus. Why can't I remember his name?

• Like Like x 1
  11. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    David Kaye.

12. Artork312

Artork312 The Robo-Chuvak

News Credits:
    David Kaye.

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Of course. I'm still getting used to shift work and it's been an eventful weekend. I'm wrecked and mentally tired.

14. JomasterII

JomasterII Nobody interesting

News Credits:
    I'm guessing if it ever would happen then it'd be a miniseries.
    Probably like a 5 episode Netflix 3D animated Combiner-Wars-Esque sorta thing... for better or for worse.

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would probably only work as an episode or maybe a 2 parter in a series that normally has the regular factions. A character would probably get transported to another dimension or something. Or some sort of Matrix situation where a character is plugged into it. Basically, it will have to tie into the normal show somehow.

16. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    I'm 99% sure this same thread was made before

Anyway I'd say no, the best chance there would be, would be a single episode like what Animated wanted to do.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Would be fine as a stand alone OVA. Sub Cliffjumper for Bee, introduce him with a handful of Autobots fighting a handful of Decepticons. Starscream betrays Megatron by activating the weekly doomsday device for his own gain. Bee gets sucked into a mirror verse and has to team with a heroic Megatron who says a lot of inspirational things that "sound a lot like something my Optimus would say!" Then have good guy Optimus show up at the ass end of the conflict and John Cena that shit. Then he shakes hands with SG Megs because heroes is heroes. The end. Be sure to catch the Bumblebee movie in theatres.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I think it could as an anime.

• Like Like x 3
  19. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I'd watch it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Maybe in a similar fashion to the Voltron series on Netflix.

• Like Like x 2