Could a reboot = Aligned "Continuity"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Feb 8, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It's been said that all new media will become a part of Hasbro's "Aligned" Continuity.

(Before I go any further, I'd like to ask others if they consider the 2 current comics to be a part of the "Aligned" continuity, since they are considered 're-started' and War For Cybertron bodies are seen)

So, right now HAS / Paramount have been talking with Bay.
    Nothing was said in the recent phone call about films.
    Bay wants to do soething else before he considers his return to the TF films.

While TF's have been selling well due to the films, HAS on the overall has slumped some.
    TF toys are selling good overseas.
    Brian Goldner realizes (thinks) that overseas only knows about the Movieverse, and knows no other TF continuity.
    No movies, no sales.
    HAS wants to push PRIME.

SO, I don't think it's too far of a reach to consider a re-boot, just to push this so-called "Aligned" Continuity so that sales can continue for toys based on the movies.

Besides- would HAS really want to wait around on Bay do do other things first, when they could be getting somthing else going so that they can continue to sell toys? I cn only speak for myself in saying that if I relied as heavily on toy sales that were dependant on the films, I'd be finding someone else to get it started rather than wait 5 years for Bay.

However, has anyone considered what a live action entry into the aligned continuity would be? Maybe it wouldn't mean anything... since myself and others consider this continuity to be more mis-aligned than anything else.

Just speculation, since HAS, Paramount and Bay will dowhat they will regardless of anything we know or think we know.

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I think trying to do a live-action movie in the aligned continuity would be pointless and redundant, given that K/O/Kline have actually talked about possibly doing a TFPrime theatrical installment.

3. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i dont think that would happen, i dont even think the studio who will be in charge of the film would bother making the film part of the aligned con tinuty

4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Sorry I don't see how a live action movie set in the Aligned Countinuty would work! I mean people will only confuse it for the films done by Bay! They already have Resuce bots WFC and FOC,Exodus,Exiles and Prime be in one countuity as it is. Having a live action film would be only overkill!

What they should do is to go ahead with the Prime film so it won't cause any confusion and it'll make itself seperate from the Bay movies.

5. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yea- they would alienate the fanbase that arent transformer fans if they went with aligned continuity.. a reboot MIGHT work, but recognize that most of the people that made they films such a huge success arent posting on this type of board.

as for the comics- design wise hasbro reserves the right to tell IDW "do it this way" IDW originally encouraged their artists to interpret characters designs as they saw fit- but with all the artist changeups that happened from AHM forward (havent read the stuff before yet)- character designs got confused, changes too frequently, resulting in pissed off fans.

I figure the current MTMTE and RID designs matching other continuity serves several purposes-

Give fans recognizable characters

Reinforces one of the goals of the aligned continuity, which is to unify the characterization of a given character cross all medias (not including the bayverse movies)

Promotes some of the toys (and maybe paves the way for things like an IDW inspired Metalhawk toy in the generations line, or whatever)--- bumblebee's current design is basically just a comic rendition of the WFC BB design--- this is good for the video game, the comics, and Hasbro because if people like WFC and FOC when it comes out, maybe they will end up picking up the comic or buying the war over cybertron 3pack (it's all about marketing in the end)

Drift got enough people's attention that he got his own toy in the Generations line - maybe we will see similar treatment for other charactes in the coming months/years.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The less said about the clusterfuck that is the Aligned continuity, the better.

7. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Well, if done right people wouldn't need to have seen the other stuff in the alined continuity. Do you need to play WFC or read Exodus to watch Prime? No. So I don't see why people would need to see Prime or play WFC to understand new movies.

On the other hand, right now the alined continuity family, while doing shit as a continuity, is doing fine individually, in terms of quality. There is no guarantee that new films will be as good even if they had a new crew and director. With G1 holding up over time very poorly, the beast era being arguably, quite good, RID being meh, the Unicron Trilogy being pretty meh-bad, the movies being meh-bad, and animated being extremely short, I say it's time we got another good continuity. So films may ruin that if it turns out that TF just wasn't meant to be a film series. No offense to the fans of the shows I said bad things about.

So I'm going to have to say no. Although, future cartoons or the new novel writer may ruin the alined continuity. If that happens, I'd say maybe.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I think they should reboot the movieverse as soon as possible. The movies we got are not as good as they could have been, mostly because I feel Hasbro didn't have enough involvement, and there was almost no guidance to keep core characters and concepts the way they were.

If they used the Aligned continuity as a basis for a new movie, it would work. Hasbro has outlined what they want the brand to be with the Binder of Revelation. If they handed it over to movie producers, I think things could go very well. Outline the history of Cybertron, and maybe cover the events before Prime? Perhaps the reboot takes place in the eighties, with the same main cast however.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just to tackle your one side comment: the IDW-verse has not rebooted any part of its story. If the new comics are "Aligned," then Infiltration was "aligned," period. Continuity is actually a lot less shaky than it seemed in the early AHM days.

The designs are the designs. WfC designs have been used to depict IDW-G1 characters as well as Prime-Prequel characters. Designs are in a general flux...they fit the needs of the work, not the timeline.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro believes the three Bay movies already out are "Aligned" anyway.

They share as much in common with the other examples of Aligned continuity as any of them do with each other. For example, the Bay movies aren't any further from Transfomers: Exodus than TFP is.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

IIRC, Archer specifically excluded the films when he announced the Aligned Continuity.

Anyway, it would depend entirely on what the producers and director are comfortable doing. There's a limit to how much Hasbro can push Hollywood around and still get the movies made.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know but I just really hope that one day Hasbro decides to just drop the bad idea of "Aligned" Continuity. Just rather crazy to think you can make all the pieces of Transformers fit together when characters and stories are just too different for them to fit.

For Marvel and DC it can work because you have lots and lots of characters so all you have to do is shove them all on to the same Earth at the same time. But with Transformers you have multiple versions of characters like Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, and Starscream.

13. Slimshadow457

Slimshadow457 Well-Known Member

It's too early for a reboot, and if they managed to maybe get someone else on board, he could perhaps save the whole franchise. The main problem I have is that the director, while being an expert (in my opinion) of action and visuals, seriously lacks of characterization skills to make the audience know who's who. I honestly, genuinely think that if there was more character development and more engaging stories, there'd be no need for reboots.

The apple isn't rotten yet, there's still a good side to eat we could all enjoy :) 

I know, right? Why did HAS push that idea in the first place? WfC and FoC clearly have G1 roots, and there's absolutely no logic in having them be Prime-versed. Bee looks nothing like his WFC self, nor do any characters for that matter. Plus, it's clearly stated on the show that Megatron was exactly like he is now back on cybertron... Even the back stories are different! Prime and WfC/Exile/Exodus/FoC/G1 continuity should just be two different things...

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I understand what you're saying. However, if looking the same and having the same back story are part of your criteria, then G1 doesn't belong on your second list either.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Sometimes I wonder if we haven't opened Pandora's box with the movies and some things would be so hard to fix that it might be easier to just start over.

Robots in Disguise is kind of gone once every Transformer can spot every other Transformer in alt mode, and now small devices that can be put anywhere can also detect them.

Megatron was sort of built up as the ultimate enemy of Prime and the Autobots but now he's dead. Not the fell in a frozen lake maybe he's dead sort of dead but Monty Python's dead parrot sort of dead.

I don't know it just seems like cooler things could be done with no knowing where or when a Decepticon might attack or Megatron being that thorn in Prime's side he can never get rid of.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why? There are actually no real gaps in story logic or redundant characters so far. It took me awhile to understand that the designs, as maddening as this is, are just going to shift around and be whatever.

Star Trek is a massive franchise, and the only "rebooting" it ever did actually just set up a "parallel" timeline for all intents and purposes. Fiction in the "original" timeline is as active as ever.

Star Wars is even more massive, it dwarfs Transformers. Much more has been written about Anakin Skywalker than about every incarnation of Optimus Prime put together. And yet, though if you added up all the STUFF that happens it probably is too much for one guy's lifetime, in the individual works of fiction it all still works just fine.

In fact, in most mega-franchises, throwing out the baby with the bathwater every two years is the EXCEPTION, not the rule.

In general, I agree. However:

The first clause is repeatedly shown to be untrue in the films. The Energon detectors are useful (and an inevitable outgrowth of existing tech IMO, like the portable rad scanner in the '07 film which could pretty much be a real-life device) but not infallible. They detected the Dreads late, and detected Soundwave never.

This is a real problem. But, there are places to go. Ball up and use Thunderwing. Wuss out and use Galvatron. Or really wuss out and give the big bad the ability to resurrect Decepticons (an anti-Last Autobot). Kill the guy at the end of the movie and keep the 'cons around to make more trouble.

But yeah, DotM was clearly written to end that iteration of the movie franchise. I think the fourth movie needs to be careful and work with this. They will probably try to bring back Megatron somehow, but they should at least make the threats feel different and like the battle in DotM accomplished something.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Or, at least, produce an "Aligned" continuity that is actually aligned.

18. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we got a movie set on Cybertron with the FOC trailer CGI, that would be an awesome reboot

19. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

All I need is a Prime movie and all will be well.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Hasbro will have to show me evidence that this so-called aligned continuity is actually aligned before I can take it seriously.