Could 3P be telling Hasbro "We've got it covered"?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LCDR Blindside, Aug 9, 2012.

1. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Just idle thought, but what if Hasbro's somewhat influenced by what third party turns out? Though it's arguable 3P just engages on opportunities Hasbro doesn't want to, could Warbot Defender existing in some way make a triple-changing Classics Springer more improbable?

Iunno, what do you think?

2. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would be tempted to agree with you, but then Hasbro went and made FoC Bruticus which, IMO, seems like it's sort of trying to take on FP Colossus. I mean, if Hasbro really had that attitude, they wouldn't even bothered releasing FoC Bruticus.

3. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

I think quite the opposite. If Hasbro is smart...and FOC Bruticus is a success, they would be wise to release a classics constructicon team to form Devastator and stomp out future sales of Giant and Hercules. I think if Hasbro is paying attention to the third party success, and I'm sure they are, we will see more to compete in the not so distant future.

4. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's already a Classics Devastator. It was a repaint of the Energon team (much like Classics Bruticus is a repaint of the Energon team of the same name).

5. AnAutobot1985

Yeah but that thing sucks. Why else would we all be shelling out such cash to 3rd parties for Dev? Hasbro has not done one that was any good whatsoever in regards to G1 since the 80s.

6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Hasbro/Takara also coming out with MP Soundwave, plus tapes, which killed off the recent 3P project. If ever, 3rd party is just showing Hasbro what they're missing, and at the very least with Bruticus and MP Soundwave, Hasbro is trying to make up for their misses.

7. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

If I remember correctly Hasbro/Takara released a statement/threat last year about how they were going to show up the third party companies. They followed through so far with Bruticus, MP Sunstorm, MP 10, MP 11 Coronation.

Incidentally, the only 3rd party figures I have really purchased, of course official versions came out soon after.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I wouldn't use Classics Devastator as any kind of example between Hasbro and Third Party groups. A Walmart exclusive redeco in 2007 of a toy from 2004 and Third Party sets from 2011-12 is a real unfair comparison to make.

9. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Didn't they cancel their presentation at TFCon because of 3P stuff? If Hasbro is really letting 3p cover things, they would quit their whining.

10. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Is choosing not to involve yourself with an unofficial product using your IP whining?

11. AnAutobot1985

I wish we were still getting that despite HasTak's MP Soundwave. They sure stomped out that fire anyway.

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    No way HasTak is going to say to themselves "oh no, a company totally stealing our IP is making stuff better than we could (even though they don't have to deal with all the limits and regulations we do so it's not really a fair comparison, besides we'd make an ass-load of money regardless), let's NOT make a toy of that character ever again."

13. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    oh but hasblow is just having a temper tantrum. They should just let 3rd parties make all transformers~~
    /extreme sarcasm

14. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I don't see why Hasbro isn't trying to buy out these people at the companies and make them work in their own studios to design a better product.

THAT I think would make sense, since the fandom digs the third party stuff, why not try and absorb them into your own portfolio?

15. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Well, that could give them the oppurtunity to sell at retail for 2006 prices.

16. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I agree. :) 

They made some mistakes with FOC Bruticus. Some limbs look weird (or hollow), and the center piece Onslaught was too small. I hope that Hasbro learns from the mistakes made with Bruticus and creates a six piece combiner for Devastator. They could easily incorporate him into the Prime cartoon so he could be in the Prime line instead of making him part of the Generations line. While the "Any figure can be a limb" idea might have been good on paper....it doesn't work with Bruticus. Plus it gives you more room to make the transformations to vehicle/robot/limb more focused if they don't need to worry about covering an arm and a leg formation. Also, you have REAL vehicles to work off of...instead of made up Cybertron creations that look half-assed.

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh please. That thing is Classics in name only.

I don't think Hasbro or Takara is hesitant to release something because a third party/unlicensed company has already released something along those lines. If that were the case, it would be an admission that their release strategy is affected by companies that are jacking their IP and making money on stuff they could be making money off of...and does anyone really think they're going to let that stand for very long without actually throwing the hammer down with the retailers that offer both Hasbro/Takara and unlicensed products, and possibly get on eBay to block the sale of unlicensed products and KOs (well, as best they can, I'm not sure how effective the latter would be)?

If Hasbro or Takara were actually content to let third party/unlicensed companies "cover" certain things, Takara would've never bothered with MP Soundwave and no one would bother touching combiners unless they can actually replicate something like Giant, Hercules or even the FP Bruticus components at standard retail prices and safety regulations.

18. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    3rd party vs. Hasbro has been discussed ad nauseum...this is my take...

Hasbro has intellectual property to protect and it's their right, however, there is a very fine line. Hasbro is a large corporation and is in the business of making money. Their business model simply cannot cater to the collector market the way 3rd parties do and the way in which we like them too. I still commend their efforts for the most part even though many think their efforts suck. BUT....they are doing something right.

That said, 3rd party companies need to be careful. I truly believe that Hasbro, while they would never admit it and rightfully so, are ok with SOME of the 3rd party companies that don't "cross the line" too much. It honestly doesn't cut into their profit too much to have a few companies cater to collectors while they can still mass produce toys. Companies like Fansproject have the right approach.

I'd like to think positively and say that Hasbro is exercising "benign neglect" as long as some company doesn't cross the line with IP. Yes, you could argue that all have them have already crossed the line with respect to IP, but there is a gray area that is difficult to prosecute :2c: 

19. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I don't think the problem is with their designers. Hasbro/Takara operates under rules, guidelines and a budget pricepoint, which might hinder some of the designs they can do, unlike 3rd party makers. See if Hasbro sells deluxes at more than 25 dollars, fans are up in arms, because that's mostly that's mass market (collectors being a small part of it). Collectors are the 3rd party maker's customers and they seem to understand it and buy anyway when it's a 3rd party figure despite being way more expensive. You can see from the new MP line that given an opportunity, they can blow away people with their designs if given a chance.

20. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I don't agree.

FoC Bruticus, to me at least, has been made to try and get sales off the back of the game....same as all the other FoC figs. They aren't competing with third parties at all there.

Colossus is picked up by Classics/G1 fans and looks different. Now if HasTak were to release MP Bruticus then you'd be onto something.