Costume Redesigns in Comic Books

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by OP84, May 11, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

Now, for whatever reason, some people don't seem to be too fond of costume redesigns in comic books. They see it as okay for films because to them, what works in a comic might not actually work in a movie. But I have a problem with that statement, to me, they DON'T work in comics anymore. I find Captain America's outfit to be extremely outlandish (and I'm not talking about colors). I mean, come on, he still has feathers all over his suit. It's just that I feel that movie-esque designs can really work in comics. I would really like to see Captain America's costume from The Avengers in the comics rather than something that was made cheaply. It's not like they're redesigning Batman to have a long black duster coat and wear a mask instead of a helmet:

(cough,

[​IMG]

cough)

It's just hard for me to read comic books today without laughing at how outdated the designs feel. I don't see how hard it would be to do such a thing.

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I don't care for re-designs, either. I mean, have you SEEN the new Power Girl?!

Didn't mind some on them, though.

3. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I'm talking more about something that stays true to the original designs (or at least keeps the things that characterize the character the most like Batman's ears) but have some sort of "real world" look to them. Like in Power Girl's or any other superhero for instance with a skintight suit, actually have the fabric look like fabric.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    deviantArt has produced better costume re-designs for Power Girl. Also, Amanda Connor did a bloody good job of making her costume look like fabric. So obviously someone who embraced the fun side of superhero design and a writing team who enjoyed some of the sillier aspects and still made room for awesome stuff just had to go.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    That looks more like Wolverine than it does Batman.

6. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

That's what I said. (NOTE: I'm not saying that as if I were trying to tell you that I had already mentioned it earlier, I'm saying it as if I already said that to myself or someone else)

7. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    That's more "Nightwing" than "Batman".

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hold on, is that image for real? I thought it was just a fan pic?

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Im apprehensive. Usually when I see a sudden, dramatic redesign, it feels like a cash grab to me, but it make perfect sense for a re imagining or alternate story where the new costume fits the setting or reinterpretation of the character better.

I also think that aesthetics and sensibilities change over time, and that costumes can, and have changed to reflect this, even supposedly "iconic" ones like Batman and Spider-man.

10. megapork

megapork Cheese

Im fine with redesigns just as long it looks great and maintains some elements from the characters iconography. But others, like Aernaroth said, Just look like either cash grabs or plain stupid.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, I thought 90's Batman redesign (ie, Bat-Azrael) was very crap, 'lets add shiny armour and lots of pouches and sharp bits!'

Who else did that in the 90's? Captain America had an armoured suit. Daredevil had an armoured suit. Didn't Spider-man have an Armoured suit?

Haha. Anyway having said that I thought the Batman redesign post Prodigal Son was a natural evolution as opposed to a redesign. Gone was the blue pants, and they made the cape and cowl grey and changed his Batsymbol.

I guess having your back broken is a call for a new wardrobe.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Anyone who enjoys costume redesigns should check out Project Rooftop. It's really neat seeing several people's take on a single character.
    Project : Rooftop