Cosplayers, is there a problem with the Marvel "Pointy Mask"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, May 17, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Wolverine and Hawkeye in the comics and the cartoons both wear a pointy similar styled pointy mask. Both characters in the live action movie universe have no mask at all.

I was wandering, is there a problem with the points that makes that style mask impossible to create in the real world? What do the live action films have against the pointy mask?

I still love Avengers and to a lesser extent all the X-Men movies but I'm just curious what the issue with the mask was.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's no physical issue with the mask.

I personally think it'd just look dumb in live-action, and they probably did too.

3. SaberPrime

And a suit of armor that can transform into a suit case doesn't look dumb? I personally love the Ironman movies, maybe even more than Batman. It kinda helps that Robbert Downy Jr. looks like they just ripped Tony Stark out of the comic book. But I really hate that suit case armor. It was stupid when they did it in the cartoon and it was stupid when they did it in the movie. There's just no real way you can compact a full suit of armor into a suit case. Suspension of disbelief just flies out the window when you have a suit of armor that defies the laws of physics.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The mask thing doesn't fall under suspension of disbelief.

It just looks cheesy.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The wolverine and hawkeye helmets just look... odd... in three-dimensions to most people. It's not that they can't be done, there's just something about the shape that doesn't lend itself well to the real world (as opposed to the printed page or even animation) for one reason or another.

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't given this a lot of thought, but I think it may simply have to do with not wanting to conceal faces, whether it makes it easier to convey emotion or give the actor more attention. To this effect, even while fully clad, Iron Man gets frequent in-helmet shots.

The producers probably could have pulled off a good mask if they wanted to. I thought Capt's WW2 helmet was at least decent:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  7. KayeMinor

KayeMinor Banned

^But they made the wings a picture on the helmet, as opposed to sticking out.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I think the lack of the signature "pointy masks" is partly because of actor recognition, but also because they're kind of useless in actual real life situations. Even Thor is missing is old signature battle helmet when otherwise fully armored up, and Cap. America gets his pulled off in the film by the aliens by the end of the fighting (although the origins of Cap. America's patriotic costume come from him being paraded around as a War Bonds advertisement, so for him the mask still works to a degree because it's part of who he is.) Iron Man's helmet remains simply because that IS Iron Man aside from the Arc Reactor in his chest, and it functions both as a super HUD display/communications hub, and gives some pretty neat visuals when opened.

Loki gets to keep the horned helm because it probably is like some sort of crown to him, and his ego is the only one in the film that supersedes Stark's.

Yes, because when a giant suit of Armor subcompacts itself from a suitcase almost Jetsons style, the movie is ruined because you can't suspend disbelief due to a violation of the laws of physics.

Nevermind the fact the only reason Tony Stark is even ALIVE is because of a fictional technology that essentially is a perpetual motion machine mixed with a clean energy generator.

Or just anything Thor does in general.

Plus, this is Tony Stark we're talking about. He probably built a transforming suitcase of armor because he COULD. That, and it's easy to abuse the hell out of "suiting up" scenes when they look as cool as they do in the films for Iron Man.

9. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not necessarily being against pointy helmets; they may have been trying to integrate classic visual cues without disrupting the WW2 aesthetic.

Although it makes me wonder what a helmet would look like with Blurr's wings: http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/8/83/Spotlight_Blurr_cvrB.JPG

10. SaberPrime

Every super hero movie ever, unless you're Superman, has had to conceal faces because that's part of being a super hero. They're suppose to hide their secret identity. Of course I'm sure actors have X amount of face time in their contracts so they find ways to ditch the masks whenever possible. That's not really a good excuse to not have the mask when even as you pointed out Captain America had a mask.

And BTW His costume in Avengers is more like his classic costume than the WW2 era costume in his own movie. Plus he still had the mask even though everyone already knows who Captain America is because... well it keeps the fans happy.

Learn to read. I never said the movie was ruined. I specifically stated that I loved the Ironman movies. That suit case armor thankfully was only used in one scene. That hardly ruins the movie.

It did ruin the cartoon though because they used it constantly as his default armor.

Do you understand what suspension of disbelief means? Of course none of Tony Stark's technology exists in the real world. Suspension of disbelief refers to technology that CAN'T exist in the real world not to technology that simply doesn't exist. As long as it's at least plausible that it could exist then it's fine. When it's obvious that it can't exist, then we have a problem.

I agree about Thor though because they call him an alien rather than a god so we can't actually call it Magic. Technically it's just suppose to be advanced technology that we can't understand.

But if it were really technology and not Magic then that Hammer must be programed and activated by voice command. There's no explanation for why only Thor can lift it. And it has to have a generator to create electricity.

I really don't like Thor. I don't know much about the actual character of Thor in the comics or the Mythology of Thor so the movies did not have to do much to impress me and they couldn't even do that. The whole, advanced technology and they're from another planet thing actually did ruin that movie. Magic is so much better and doesn't require explaining how it's possible for a Hammer to do crazy things that it shouldn't be able to do.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm fine if they don't have it, they're still awesome without it.

12. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always thought that Loki's helmet looked ridiculous both in the cartoon and in live action I'm just glad they made fun of it in the Avengers "hey there Reindeer games"

13. SaberPrime

I was thinking that maybe the pointy mask is doable when you're just dressing up for a convention but that maybe the points would not be durable enough to last threw a big action sequence and that's why they weren't done in the movies.

I mean, Batman has his pointy ears but they're considerably smaller and less likely to fall apart in the first 5 min. of a fight scene. Even if they do fall apart they'd just droop to the sides.

The Wolverine/Hawkeye spikes look like they might bend more easily and also considering they're angled differently so if they drooped forward they could potentially blind the actor.

So yeah, what do you think about the potential hazard being the reason not to include their masks?

I originally posted the question to cosplayers because I was thinking they could answer how durable that design is and if a potential hazard might be the issue.