Minor/Repaint: COSMIC RUST (how to pictorial)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by plowking, Oct 3, 2011.

1. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Not sure how many folks would be interested in this....someone linked to this video on Youtube over at the 3A boards....I must admit, I was floored by the results of this process....

How to do a REALLY Rusty model car - YouTube

I actually tried this technique myself.

Here's my experience with it:

Started with a junker Mirage.....I got this Mirage used....I was gonna use it for something else, I was told it wasn't that bad, so I bought it, got it, and was like "crap....this is screwed up"....

So I stripped everything off it I could use, or think to use....and got to work.

I used my soldering Iron to create damage in certain area's....mainly what I thought would rust on a car that's just been setting....alone....under the hot sun.....rusting away....I also did some window damage....but in these pics, I had already taped up the windows so to not get paint all over them....

(Mind you, the pink was already on it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see....I laid out some good damage there....just trying this out....wanna see how good it would look...in person.

To the well advice of TTT and ABX23, I picked up this:

[​IMG]

I'm sure others here may have used it, but it was recommended to me by TTT and Earl, so thanks to you two d00ds for that.

I've hardly ever used a primer when painting....I just prep, prep some more, then a little more, and paint with Fusion.

But this time, I used the Ultra Black as a Primer, cause I wanted everything to look "uniform" when done.

Next I laid down the Ultra Flat Black all over:

[​IMG]

You can see in this top shot here, that there some paint issues on the front end....(you can see "bubbles/blemishes" some minor "separation" and the paint lines from where the pink was) and I know why, I didn't prep this as I normally would. I just damaged it, taped off the important stuff, gave it a quick scuffing, alcohol wipe down, and painted it.....

BUT!!

I believe the paint issues on the hood will play to my advantage in this rusting process....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I'll start with the actual rusting process...

Here's the stuff from the video:

[​IMG]

Got it at Michaels....oddly enuff, it wasn't in the paint section. So if you go looking for it, and don't see it in the paint section, don't give up....ask for help, or keep looking....The little kit comes with two little bottles in it....2 ounces each bottle....and its water based for an easy clean up.

This is what it looks like after I laid down a coat of the "Iron Metallic Surfacer" to it. As you can see, the "IMS" is grey in color. No need to be "neat" about it at all....after all, we are going for a rusting car look aren't we?....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After letting this set for a day to dry, I did put on the "Rusting Solution"....it's a clear liquid, the odor kinda reminds me of nail polish remover, or something like that....but its clear, so there really isn't anything to show here.
    I placed the Rusty Mirage, while still wet with the solution, in a Ziploc baggie as directed in the vid:

[​IMG]

You can clearly see, that it is rusting in there....after a whole day of letting it set in the baggie, this is what I got so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added one more light coat of the "Iron Metallic Surfacer" to all the areas with "damage"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After again letting this set for a day to dry, I went back to the "Rust Antiquing Solution" and hit all the "grey" areas I created with the "Iron Metallic Surfacer" In these two pics here, you can actually see that the figure is wet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*if you look closely, you can see the liquid droplets inside the baggie already changing colors*

This is what we had after letting it set in the baggie for another 24 hours:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, I added some "vandalism" to the front windshield....those pieces have only one thin coating of the "Iron Metallic Surfacer" and "Rust Antiquing Solution"

And here are some bonus "outside" shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gotta say, this was pretty cool to do. And it's super easy to boot. If you can hold, and use a paintbrush, have a plastic bag at your disposal, and can get the "Rust Antiquing Set" then I say give it a shot....and remember, have fun!!​

*SQ7: feel free to move this to the Tut section. If you want, you can combine it with that video that's already there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome!!!!

3. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

This is great. I'm going to use this on some old projects I have layin around. Thanks for the pics!

~Z

4. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    poor mirage...

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This would probably make the ice cream twins from the rotf line look awesome. Great stuff!

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I need some of this for movie 1 classic Camaro Bee and DotM Ironhide.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm glad to finally see this, bro :)  Excellent work!

8. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Wow, that looks really cool. I have several questions though:

What does it feel like once it's dry? In other words, can it be handled without rubbing the stuff off or does it end up all powdery like real rusty metal?

Also, can you apply acrylic or enamel paint over it? Say you wanted to have Mirage look like he'd been through hell, but not completely rusted out like he'd been in a junkyard for 20 years- could you hypothetically sand some parts down and apply a coat of blue over it, or would that not work?

Lastly, if you were to apply this stuff to just some parts of the figure instead of all over, would the oxidizing reaction inside the bag damage or affect any other paint already on it? For instance, if Mirage had a nice blue paint job with some glossy clear coat and you wanted to rust only his fender for whatever reason, would putting the completed custom inside the bag with the rust effect cause any change in the blue paint or does it only affect the parts with the IMS?

Thanks in advance and many thanks for the tutorial.

9. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    My you are so rusty.

10. jicco

jicco TF Customizer

Ebay:
    awesome! thanks for sharing. This is perfect

11. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

That stuff just makes for an awesome efect.

12. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:

1. It isn't smooth, but yes, it can be handled without rubbing any off. Now if you actually try rubbing it, your gonna get some rust on your finger from rubbing it.

*Also, straight from the "instruction sheet" - Sealing: The Rust may stain surfaces that receive water runoff. Treating the surface with a water-based acrylic sealer may be desirable. Sealing may change the finish.

2. If you mean sand down the rusted parts, and paint them blue again....I don't see why not. It's whats in the paint that gives it the rusting ability. Now does the solution effect the plastic?...that I don't know.

3. What I would do to be safe, would be to separate any parts from the rest that I didn't want rust on during the process....from what I've learned from it though, the solution will only "rust" whats been treated with the "IMS'

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Now THAT is one rusty car, but still a very cool effect:thumbs2: 

Out of curiousity, is there any way to get the same "full body" coverage WITHOUT going full-blown over rust? Because there are some Transformers, I.E. Allspark Power Salvage, whose alt. modes would look better with a covering of rustiness but just enough to make it look like it's an old but still in use vehicle, not so far as what you've done to Mirage.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Great tutorial.

Also, Krylon Camo is an excellent primer. I've been using it for a little over 3 years. frenzy_rumble posted a thread about it when he was constructing one of his first Menasor projects in 2008.

15. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    I msell a "killed" ironhide here....

plowking, this is great! can i paint this stuff like other paint? would lov to use this technique on my twins, megatrons and some other rusty asses....

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks nice and realistic, great job

17. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Entitlement? Piss off.

News Credits:
    This is awesome, very cool PK!

18. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Thanks for the response Plowking! Very cool stuff indeed.

19. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

I'm down
    I've got a few tfers this would be awesome for
    Thanks mate!

20. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Entitlement? Piss off.

News Credits:
    Hey there Mr. Plow, if one does not own a soldering iron is there anything else you would suggest? I have an Animated Hot Rod that could use some Cosmic Rust.