Core Cast

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    So I'm trying to fit my movie toy collection into a corner curio cabinet, but they won't all fit. I have one of each character in the film in toy form. I've decided I really don't need every single character from the movie, and for most of them, I really only need one version. In order to fit them in, I need to decide on a "core cast" so as to just put them in there. Here are the obvious ones, as they have been in 2 or more movies. Who else should go in?

Autobots
    Prime ( RotF Leader )
    Ironhide ( Movie 1 Voyager )
    Ratchet ( Best Buy Premium )
    Bumblebee (70's and at least one newer Camaro )
    Sideswipe ( RotF deluxe or DotM with silver custom paint? )
    Skids and Mudflap ( RotF Ice cream truck and two chevys )
    Que ( DotM when released )
    Dino ( if we ever get one )
    All 3 Wreckers ( can't believe I forgot these guys. I'm a huge NASCAR fan )
    Jetfire ( leader )
    Wheelie ( legends )

Decepticons
    Megatron ( DotM Voyager or leader toy of same version should it get made )
    Starscream ( HftD Leader )
    Soundwave ( DotM Deluxe )
    Scorponok ( movie one Legends or deluxe )
    Laserbeak ( DotM deluxe or smaller one if ever made )
    Sentinel Prime ( DotM leader, may display with autobots )
    Legends Devastator
    Barricade ( deluxe from either movie 1 or DotM )
    Ravage ( legends )
    Blackout ( voyager )
    Fallen ( voyager )

Most of those are all the ones that were in more than one movie ( except Devastator ), so they warrant a spot. I like RotF Mixmaster's alt mode, but don't want two of him in the display ( since the devastator has one incorporated into it ).

Who else in your opinion, should I include? Which one-movie-wonders played an important enough role in their movie to deserve a spot? Or just had an awesome enough toy to deserve to be kept?

**EDIT** I revised the list, adding a few figures that weren't listed before. I think the case will be pretty much full at this point. Tomorrow, I'll try putting these toys in to see if they all fit and if there is room for any more.

2. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    You should include Ravage for sure - I'm partial to the HFTD Legends version.

3. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

ROTF Deluxe Jolt, TFTM Deluxe Arcee (no, seriously), and your newer Bee should be Battle Blades if at all possible; if not, vanilla DOTM Bee.

4. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    I don't consider my Autobots display complete without some Jazz. I have the Target G1 Deluxe variant there for scale (although HA Jazz is the better figure), along with TFTM G1 Ratchet, HFTD 'Bee, HFTD Optimus Prime, and TFTM 1 Voyager Ironhide (maybe DOTM Cannon Force to replace soon, for the full G1 effect). The future-release G1 color Wheeljack will join them once he's out.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

What, no Swerve-Sideswipe?

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    RotF Skids and Mudflap or bust :cool: 

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For my part, I thought DotM did a good job of establishing Wheeljack and Dino as "core" Autobots, as they always seemed to team with BB and Sideswipe. Dino/Mirage doesn't exist yet, but Wheeljack will pretty soon. Up to you. Also, the Wreckers kind of kicked ass, though they are definitely an "out there" subgroup.

As for movie Decepticons, I kind of specialize in those so I will give you some options. For your "beasts" I would stick with Deluxe Scorponok, Legends Ravage, and the Laserbeak MechTech accessory that will come with HA Soundwave. The Deluxes are obvious alternatives. Legends Scorponok is way too small to pose with your proposed lineup IMO, plus it's hard to find one intact as the stinger was prone to breakage.

DotM Barricade > TFTM, plus you can probably find him discounted soon. And I stroooongly recommend Crankcase even if he's a one-movie wonder. The engineering and sculpting on that piece are just dynamite. It's also a crime not to have Shockwave in there. The Voyager is outstanding, he had a big part in DotM, and he actually appeared in the movie 1 videogame so you can say he's been around all along!

Bonecrusher, Brawl, and Long Haul are also outstanding Decepticons who appeared in two movies each if you count cameos!

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Legends Scorponok is a must for me. I can't be a scale nut with this line, but I do like things mostly within scale with each other.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My input regarding additions or substitutions to your lineup...

Bumblebee - Seconded on Battle Blades...if you don't want a Mixmaster hanging around with one already part of Devs to avoid "doubles," ditch the '70s Camaro mold and stick with the newer one.
    Sideswipe - I don't know if paying a premium for it is amenable to you, but the Autobot Alliance version of Sidearm Sideswipe adds a more movie-accurate (no flames) deco onto an awesome mold.
    Scorponok - I'm assuming, with Legends Devs, that scale is no issue...but in the film, Scorponok was about the size of a car and the Legends toy has the issue with the stinger breaking on some people, so the Deluxe may be a better idea.
    Long Haul - Awesome mold...virtually no characterization, unfortunately, but an awesome mold, though then you run into the same issue as with Mixmaster.
    Blackout - No, the mold isn't great (even if you ignore the scale issues with the other toys) and he's another character with minimal-to-no characterization, but he did have a large role in "introducing" everyone to the Movieverse (the first Transformer and transformation we were introduced to, seemingly a one bot force of nature, initiated the attack that gets the ball rolling for the first film, his electronic scream/yell became somewhat of a signature for the Movieverse Decepticons (for better or worse). You could get the Movie Premium Voyager, or if you don't care about scale, the DotM Cyberverse toy is pretty awesome.
    Brawl - Specifically, the Movie Leader toy if you can land one (if you don't already own one), not because he's a memorable character, but because the Leader toy is quite awesome.
    Wheelie - He ends up relevant in the Movieverse and his Legends toy is pretty nice.

10. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

if you care about scale, i think you should add legends Ravage, deluxe Jazz (preferably premium one), deluxe Jolt (i like Dotm one better) and you might keep voyager Mixmaster because he has an awesome bot mode which is actually i think in scale with the majority of your figures. i suppose you can also add deluxe sideways and rotf twins to your collection but those are quite optional of course.

11. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, the problem really is to narrow down a movie collection?

One way to go about could be to simply narrow it down to all the bots that got a speaking part with at least 5 lines

Should narrow it down enough for you.

12. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Since your laserbeak is not in scale with soundwave anyway I'd go with ROTF Soundwave instead of DOTM and legends Ravage too.

And I think Sideswipe is expendable.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This sort of mimics my Movie-verse display...

I stuck with the Movie 1 Voyager of Ratchet since I think it still looks the best, I ditched the 70's Camero of BB and just stuck with the original Movie 1 concept version since, again, I think it still looks the best, and I'd definitely recommend ROTF Sideswipe over the scaled down and sparsely painted DOTM version.

I think Movie 1 Jazz is necessary to add, but I wouldn't worry about ROTF Skids, Mudflap & Jolt or DOTM Que/Wheejack. The only new one I'd consider is DOTM Dino/Mirage... assuming they even make it and assuming it's not scaled down like the rest of DOTM figures are. And maybe ROTF Jetfire if you can find it for cheap and it's the black & silver Takara version (came in a 2-pack with Buster Prime).

I'm sticking with the premium edition of Movie 1 Leader Megs until/unless they make a DOTM Leader and left out the Soundwave minions & individual Constructicons. I think Movie 1 Leader Brawl is absolutely necessary, and that Movie 1 Blackout, ROTF Sideways and DOTM Shockwave should definitely be considered to add. But I'd say skip one-offs like Long Haul, Mixmaster and repaints like Grindor, Thundercracker, Skywarp, etc. And stick with Movie 1 Barricade over the smaller DOTM version.

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a couple of different scales for the 'cons that make sense with this line, but Scorpy is about the size of a car, and he listed the carformer Soundwave at Deluxe size. Also keep in mind that I recommended Legends Ravage. There is no way Scorpy is not vastly larger than Ravage (check out their respective scenes in RotF).

15. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Limited space + too difficult to stand = relegated to "2nd shelf" status for me.

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, scale falls apart pretty quickly with this line.

17. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I can't believe how many recommendations I got for Jolt. He's barely in one movie, only for a couple of seconds. He's not a core cast member. Nor are either of his toys worth having.

Keep in mind that space is an issue as well. If I were to include a Brawl, it wouldn't be the leader. He was barely in the the first movie for 10 minutes. At most, he would get a deluxe sized spot on the shelf. Same applies to Sideways. He was in the movie less than the Arcee bikes, and I'm not putting them in there.

I will do both the 70s Bee and one new Camaro Bee for the simple reason that he was both versions in the movies. That's the only case where I'll let multiple versions of a character slide. Technically, Megatron and Soundwave would fit this too. However, the only forms they had that even remotely appealed to me were there DotM forms. Not digging the space jet/tank or satellite.

18. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Have you gotten a chance to fiddle around with the ROTF deluxe? An underappreciated gem, good sir.

Also, seriously, TFTM Arcee. A good toy, and probably the most prominent character from the movieverse comics

19. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I own that toy, and it's a piece of crap ( no offense to anyone that likes it ). The electro whips are a joke and I hate car-parts-on-robot-cheats. If the real wheels can't be engineered into that spot, then leave 'em out. I feel the same way about the window's on Prime's chest. Never cared for toys with fake windows there. Probably why the only three movie Primes I like are RotF Leader, Battle Blades Voyager, and DotM Ultimate. So Jolt loses points for the same reason as Sideways. Stupid fake wheels.

As for Arcee, I never read the comics. So as far as I'm concerned, she wasn't in the movie, so not in my display case. I can't bump a character that actually appeared on screen in favor of one that didn't. May be personal preference, but that's the way I see it.

20. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ I think I get what you are doing. I kinda figure, if you're being selective, then why would non-screen figures even enter into it?

Blasphemer! You can do a fair job. My shelves:

1) DotM Voyager Megatron, RotF Voyager Long Haul, Premium Blackout, Deluxe Starscream, Deluxe Deep Desert Brawl, Deluxe Bonecrusher, Skystalker, Wreckage, RotF Deluxe Soundwave. At times: Legend and Legion Decepticon cars.

2) Leaders Starscream, Sentinel, and Brawl. DotM Deluxe Barricade, Deluxe Crankcase, Legends Ravage, Stalker Scorponok, Voyager Mixmaster.

3) Voyagers Shockwave, RotF Megatron, Orange Fallen

4) All Cyberverse/Legends

Just pick a general scale and get what looks good. As long as you don't blow it you can make Long Haul look rightly huge and Blackout nearly big enough, or else get your car Deluxes to give your Leaders the proper scale. Have fun and be creative!

Oh yeah, and Jolt is a freaking CAMEO, not "core" anything.