Coraline trailer

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ra88, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
  2. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just hope the Gothic Archies are involved somehow. :) 

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Neat! Hooray for dark films!

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    love these Tim Burton films

5. Rewind

News Credits:
    I love Tim Burton films too, but this isn't one of them. It's directed by Henry Selick, who directed Nightmare Before Christmas (among many others). I don't believe Tim Burton actually has any role with this Coraline film.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It looks very dark, but my four year old girl really wants to see it.
    Not sure if I'm going to let her yet or not.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I ordinarily don't go for animated movies much anymore, but I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan so I definitely will see this.

8. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is this that stupid button face thing?

Oooooh, it's so dark and wild, I'm gonna head straight down to Hot Topic and get the shirt!

>_< Bloody hell the Nightmare Before Xmas is possibly the most overhyped film of all time.

9. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    The trailers for this movie honestly has convinced me that Tim Burton uses Acid to come up with this kind of stuff.

My sister and I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas; I, along with my sister thought it was a below average Musical, and my sister loves musicals.

10. Rewind

News Credits:
    So you came in here just to poke fun at something you personally aren't interested in? Wow, that's so dark and wild! I'm gonna put your user name on a shirt! :p 

Again, Tim Burton DID NOT COME UP WITH THIS. The story OR the film.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lol 

Nice.

12. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I thought the book was fantastic. Looking forward to this muchly.

13. the_scientist

the_scientist Well-Known Member

People did it for the Twilight movie. I do not see how this should be held to a higher standard...Actually Neil Gaiman is awesome...but we shouldn't have double standards just yet.

14. Rewind

News Credits:
    Yeah, you're right, if something stupid is done elsewhere it should therefore be done everywhere. :lol 

15. the_scientist

exactly. Take this movie for example. Their presenting it in a style similar to Nightmare before Christmas. So, your quote fits what probably went through the producers head. Stupid sells. Stupid works.

Edit: This sounds harsher than I intended. I just never was a Burton fan and though he has little involvment with this movie, they were obviously influenced by him.

16. Rewind

News Credits:
    It's in the same style as NBX because it's the same director. NBX was, obviously, largely designed by Burton, but much of the atmosphere and overall feel was very much the director. Coraline is very much it's own thing and has been immensely popular for years. It owes little to Tim Burton. The world and characters were all pretty well established before this film so there really is no need to try and 'sell' it on the credentials of NBX (which, let us not forget, was an enormous box office failure at the time). If Coraline looks similar to NBX it's because they exist in a similar genre. All zombie movies, space movies, cowboy movies, etc. can be said to be more or less the same (and no, I'm not saying they are all the same) because they each exist in the same genre.

But I digress. If some of you think this film or director or genre is stupid, why do you waste your time and energy checking out the thread and criticizing it? Everything everyone in the world loves and cherishes is conversely held to be stupid or terrible by someone else in the world. Everything you think is cool, all of your favorites, someone else out there can't stand them.

So where does pointless criticism get anyone? I can't stand American Idol. Sure, I could pop into any random American Idol thread or forum and say, "American Idol is stupid." But what point would there be to that? It's not like I need some kind of affirmation on why I don't like American Idol. I know why I don't like it. It's not like the people there who are discussing it have any interest in hearing me say I don't like it. Me telling them I think it's stupid is not going to make them not like it, nor would I even want to make them not like it.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has every right to say whatever they want to say. I just find the motives curious sometimes, especially when they seem little more than a mean-spirited jab. I used to make mean-spirited jabs all the time years ago. I reached I point where I couldn't figure out why I even bothered, and I realized that my jabs were far more stupid than any of the things I was criticizing, and I stopped. And I've been a much happier person ever since. ;) 

17. the_scientist

playful jabs...playful. I personally have nothing against the movie. I'm not even sure how this started(no, I will not re-read the thread :p  ). I think its the fact that even if it is a decent movie and we enjoy it, and by all odds it will be good because its Gaiman's story, we will have to see various merchandise flood out of hot topic and onto our streets until it completely kills it for us.

I'm guessing you'll probably enjoy the movie up until you see a flood of youngsters dressed in black with various coraline buttons and discussing the movie but not truly understanding it. Butchering it. Or just seeing people wearing coraline black emo/goth/hipster merchandise day in and day out until you think to yourself "ahgjrhgah." In those letters exactly.

Sorry if I'm ruffling feathers.

edit: that is not the smilie I wanted but I'm leaving it.

18. Rewind

News Credits:
    No feathers ruffled here. ;) 

I hope the 'goth' people, the 'emo' people, the 'hipsters' and all of the other stereotypes love the movie or hate the movie, buy the merchandise by the ton or don't buy it at all - such is their right. I don't find that I personally fit into any of those stereotypes (nor do have I ever truly met anyone that neatly fits into ANY stereotype). I may relate to certain elements of those stereotypes and certainly I don't relate to other elements, but I have no reason or desire or really even any right to criticize any of those people.

Saying that I'd like the movie until I see all of those stereotypes enjoying it is a bit odd, as it implies that I would have an existing aversion to them. I don't. I honestly don't understand why so many people take it upon themselves to criticize and generally extend cruelty toward people that are stereotpyed as goth, emo, hipster, gangsta, straight-edge, cowboy...it's as if the people doing the criticizing have no conception that they themselves can just as easily be criticized for the things they do and the 'lifestyle' they lead, or the stereotype they may be cast into. Does the general public put all of us who attend these forums up on a pedestal and worship our God-like coolness because we collect Transformers memorobilia?

Live and let live. Like what you like and let everyone else like what they like. We don't have to understand the reasons why people like what they do and there is no reason to be mean and cruel when we don't understand. Being mean and cruel doesn't do anything but show everyone what an jerk you can be. It's like grabbing a megaphone and saying, "Hey, everyone, look at me, I'm an unlikeable prick!" There is also no truly good reason to ever envoke stereotypes. Stereotypes are used by people who are generally too ignorant or uncomfortable to comprehend the complexities of human nature.

If a group of people, a stereotype if you will, bothers you so much then you should really examine the reasons why they bother you. Lashing out from a lack of understanding is never a good thing to do. If you find you simply cannot understand the stereotype, then learn how to accept or ignore them. If they still really bother you, if they just eat at you to the point where you can't possibly comprehend why anyone on earth would be like they are, then you need to seek psychiatric help.

Sorry if I'm getting too 'deep', I guess I'm practicing preventative maintenance here, trying to douse the anti-goth/emo/hipster/ostrich/pineapple flames before they start. :) 

19. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    I love the new commercials for Coraline with the catchy little song

I am excited to see this movie.

20. the_scientist

No aversion because they like it. The aversion is the over-saturation of it all. I enjoy green apples until I eat one everyday for a week. Just like I would enjoy a good movie until I saw it on everyone's shirt and buttons day in and day out. My mind becomes numb to the characters and plot. There's no desire to rewatch something because its been invoked again and again within my memory by various shirts and buttons. Same applies to transformers or any other movie/book. Although, I'll agree I shouldn't have brought stereotypes into this. Stereotypes has nothing to do with this.

The point I was trying to make was the the material becomes stale if overused. For example, pokemon or harry potter for younger kids. It's popular until the point it was everywhere. People were tired of seeing it. Same with NBX, it was a decent movie but seeing the merchandise everywhere killed the nostalgia I had to see the movie. Now I can't watch it without thinking of all the floormats and hoodies. It blocks me from appreciating the movie as it was intended. It takes me back to The Corpse Bride movie. By the time it was in theatres, it was stale/overhyped. The appeal is gone. It's just a personality quirk of mine, I guess. My brain tires of something after seeing it everywhere. I thought it was normal.

Where I used stereotypes, I should have just said people. I've talked to people wearing a particular movie shirt who have never seen the movie. I have no problem accepting people as a whole, it's the individual that ticks me off. I guess I just had a bad-run of people wearing donnie darko shirts who have never seen the movie. Didn't kill the appeal of Donnie Darko, only being overflooded with it would do that. I'm not anti-goth/emo/whatnot, I'm just anti-people in general.