copyright question regarding photography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Mar 27, 2008.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Hi all. I have a Myspace page, and I have some of my photography on it. One of my friends managed to copy an original file on to her computer. She didn't know better. I'm not mad, but it better not happen again. How do I copyright my work? I set everything to private for now...

2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

First you contact Scientology HQ and ask for a sample of Big Foot droppings. Follow the bright lights in the sky that form a triangle until you're in a corn field. Tom Cruise and Charlie Sheen will explain the rest.

Hail the Zodiac. The truth will set you free young Skywalker.

I guess you just add a © symbol to everything. Just use Paint, Paintshop, or Photoshop. You do know how to edit pictures using editing programs, right?

Note: If you're reading this, you know too much! Face the worm ray!

3. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Watermarks. Or whatnot.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, watermark is the way to go.

but even skillful photohacks can remove watermarks, FYI.

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Thanks! I'm not too familiar with watermarks. Do you just make something in Photoshop? Turn up the opacity? I see other photographers on myspace with the actual copyright in the title. How do you do that? Is that up to myspace?

6. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I don't know anything about FoxSpace...sorry, MySpace.

I'm sure there are watermark tutorials out there, but generally I would say this - in a program that has layer capability (GIMP, Photoshop) create a text layer with your copyright notice, put said layer above the image, set the layer mode to dissolve, and then gently crank down the opacity until you're satisfied with how it looks and how readable it is.

The other thing you should do is put your info in the photo's metadata. I think that's something you have to do in an editing program, too. Look for something akin to "file information" and then look for a comment field or somesuch.

That's about all you can do, really. I've seen JavaScript that can block the use of the right-mouse button for images, but there are a million ways around that.

7. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I think at the end of the day, if you put images of your photographs online, people will be able to copy them, one way or another, if they really want to. The best you can do is to make sure your copyright information is displayed on it.