Customs: Copic markers vs. Gundam Markers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jericho, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've having a bitch of a time finding any Gundam markers in my area (northern, VA) but I did find a store that sells Copic markers. Has anyone used these for panel lines and if so how do they compare? Should I just go ahead and get these or keep searching for the Gundam markers?

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I could be completely wrong, but I thought Copic markers were strictly for artistic purposes- I mean drawing and such. I don't know how well they hold onto plastic.

Also, they're expensive as hell.

For panel lining, yeah, you don't need much more than a Gundam Pen and your thumb to wipe away the excess.

3. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

If you look in the resources section of the Radicons forum, you can find many pages and sections about detailing. That's how I learned because I was unable to find any local Gundam markers as well. I've actually been using different types of Sharpies and paint pens and I'm getting great results.

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    you can use Micron pens for panel lining

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I always find that ink pens (Sharpies & Microns) give off a reflection that I really don't like.

You could always just try using a 5mm mechanical pencil as well. You may not want to use your thumb to wipe away excess here. A light swipe with a tissue should be enough. But I'd only really suggest this when the figure you're lining is white.

Speaking of, no one mentioned this. Red, blue, purple, orange, whatever color the figure is. Go ahead and panel line in black. If the figure is white, however, panel line in grey.

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I find that when panel lining yellow plastic, its best to use brown, orange or red instead of black

7. Jericho

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone. I'll check into the resource links and those items ya'll suggested.

8. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do these markers cause discoloration in surrounding plastic like sharpies are supposed to do?

9. Jericho

News Credits:
    So I picked up some fine point (20, 25 and 30mm) pens. Clearly the tips aren't made for heavy use so is there a way to pull the tips out as they nub down?