Coolest autograph ever.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, May 3, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Do you recognize this man?
    [​IMG]

Not everyone will, but some might. This is Jim Lehrer, host of The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, which has been on PBS for almost 30 years now. My Mom always had me sit down and watch the program - even from when it was The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour. This was always a tradition for Mom and I - she'd have me watch the news and then she'd teach me what she could about the politics behind the people involved in each segment, helping me to understand what was going on. Honestly, I can't remember that far back, but there's the definite possibility that I've been watching The NewsHour since I was several months old.

Anyway, because Jim Lehrer has always been, in my opinion, a very fair and intelligent newscaster, and he was essentially the third person responsible for my political and current events education, I wrote him a letter of thanks for all his years of reporting the news. I also let him know that my Dad and I still watch.

...and he wrote back! He wrote a similarly heartfelt letter, letting me know that, "There could be no better an affirmation of what we do - and why - like your letter."

So, yeah. Personally, I think that's the coolest autograph ever. I mean, I grew up watching TV and, if given the opportunity, I'd rather have heard the kind words of Jim Lehrer over George Peppard, Bill Shatner, Patrick Stewart, etc.

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Nerd.

J/K. Cool that you got in touch with someone that you admire

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Great story, sounds like a good guy.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I was wondering if it'd be possible to get Robert MacNeil's autograph too, but I don't think it's going to be possible...

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not trying to bash, but that guy's eyes are very unsymmetrical, almost freakishly so.

6. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Congrats, I remember watching (or at least overhearing) it with my dad when I was little too. Don't watch it so much anymore, though...don't know why.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    My favorite thing about The NewsHour is...

(approaches soapbox, stands)

Lehrer's program has maintained a way of reporting the news which is now usually reserved for local news broadcasts. One hour news, it would seem to most folks, is just absurd in this day an age because, ohmahgawd! We can watch 24-hour news instead!

...but 24-hour news has never really settled with me as a way to keep updated on changes in the world. The way The NewsHour reports the news - by having one or two well-informed pundits or experts on the field discuss, intelligently and politely their points and counterpoints - is much more, well, "civilized," I guess. The sensationalism of having aggressive talking heads or "Well, my opinion is..." loudmouths get on the 24-hour news channels and offer a heavy dosage of spin along with their news has never gelled with me.

Does The NewsHour have spin? I'm sure it has some; it's PBS. But its guests are a lot more civilized, the reports are a bit more focused and serious and the show as a whole pays more attention to our culture (and others') and spends less time following the waves of interest that fluctuate through the 24-hour news channels.