Cool hidden features nobody knew about.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tm Tarantulas, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

I remember doing this with mine as a kid whenever I fanmoded him to Powerlinx with Demolishor! I also remember something stressing and bending when I did it but I was probably putting it somewhere else on his arm...

2. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    If you flip that panel up it also connects to the tab on the underside (the hilt will point down).

• Like Like x 1
  3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

I didn't discover this. I just happen to find this in a video on YouTube.

The video was about Rodimus Prime's trailer having a base more. Not the original one the PotP version. That's not the hidden feature though, that's just some guy's fan mode. The feature that I'm talking about right now is how he was able to attach Rodimus' gun to make the turret for this fan mode.

There is a little notch on the gun in the center of a gear shape thing on top. The trailer hitch that actually attaches to Hot Rod in vehicle mode fits perfectly into this notch allowing you to store the gun on Rodimus Prime's back. Now I'm wandering if Optimus also has weapon storage in robot mode.

I don't really care that much about weapon storage in robot mode since I always have my transformers displayed actually HOLDING their weapons but it adds a nice bit of play value to the figure. I might actually use that if he were able to hold the Matrix but but his hands are molded shut so I can't make him hold it and there for have no reason to put the gun on his back.

By the way, when Hasbro came up with the idea for this toy line why did it never occur to them that people might want to display their figures HOLDING the Matrix of Leadership. It's been over 30 years and we still can't do this one simple pose. Hell I think the only time is was done, Rodimus was holding a Matrix that didn't fit in his chest. (Masterpiece Rodimus Prime holding the Matrix from Masterpiece Optimus Prime.) Rodimus' Matrix was too small for his hands and Optimus Matrix was too big to actually fit in his chest. Yeah yeah, even the Masterpiece toy couldn't get it right.

I think PotP Rodimus would be able to hold the Matrix if he actually had articulated hands... not even masterpiece level articulation, just give him a hinge to put the Matrix in and close it again and it would of been fine but nope, hands are molded into a closed fist. There is no holding the Matrix. Either that or mold the hands with a gap between the thumb and fingers so you can slot the Matrix handles in there. It's a decent size for the hands that it would look good holding the Matrix but there's just no way to get it into his closed fists.

Also speaking of Armada Cyclonus...

I think it's kinda weird that he's the only Armada toy with a Mini-con gimmick that is specific to that figure.

What I mean is that typically any figure can interact with any Mini-con because they all have a universal peg. You don't actually need a specific Mini-con to go with a specific character because they're typically interchangeable for the entire toy line...

Cyclonus on the other hand also has the gear system which no other figure in the entire toy line can use. Crumplezone's cockpit mode is specific to Cyclonus. Almost every other figure has a gimmick that consists of just grab any Mini-con and shove it on the universal port. This one however doesn't even utilize that universal port but instead takes advantage of a different connection that only Cyclonus has.

There are actually a total of 8 Mini-cons in the entire toy line who can use this gear system with Cyclonus though Crumplezone is the only one with a transformation specific to that combination, the others are basically just stick their gears onto Cyclonus' gears.

Another oddity of this is that Refute comes with Hoist. Refute is one of the 8 Mini-cons to have this gear system but Hoist can't interact with it. His gimmick with Refute is just using the Universal peg system so literally any Mini-con could of been packaged with him and it wouldn't make a difference. Cyclonus is the only character who can actually interact with that gear system so this means that Refute was clearly intended for Cyclonus.

The other six are the Destruction Mini-con team and the Adventure Mini-con team. Again these guys are clearly designed with a gimmick that only works with Cyclonus. No other character has such a gimmick like this.

There is Rollout who has a specific way he interacts with Overload except there are no other Mini-cons like him. Rook and Crosswise can also be heads for Sideways but you can't interchange their head modes with Rollout's. There isn't even ONE Mini-con team who can be interchanged with them let alone TWO all designed with the same gimmick for one specific character.

I also thought I should mention this cause even though I'm pretty sure most people know about this by now, I don't think it was ever mentioned in the instructions that they had this gear system specifically for Cyclonus. The only one that was known is Crumplezone because he was packaged with Cyclonus but the others you just had to figure out on your own that you could attach them to Cyclonus.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. RodimusSupreme

RodimusSupreme Autobot Leader and Combiner

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    So THAT'S where that gun tabs into!!! I had seen mention of this weapon storage on POTP Rodimus Prime on TFWiki, but I could not for the life of me figure out where they were putting it. I was just thinking it hooked into the backpack thing or something. :lol  Thanks dude! Also, They could've totally reused CW Leader Class Ultra Magnus' hand engineering for that figure I bet. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure that the POTP Matrices can be held in his hands.

As for Cyclonus, I think they just did that for playability. I believe some Mini-Cons attach to the underside of the cockpit (I think that's where you're talking about the other Mini-Cons attaching to Cyclonus). Crumplezone does interact with the gears: if you use the spinning rotor gimmick, the gears catch the turret on Crumplezone and make it flick back and forth. And Demolishor is another figure that has a special interaction with their Mini-Con, as Blackout plugs into his tank front and pushing a button ejects Blackout from him. And then there's Scavenger who can have Rollbar sit in his vehicle mode cockpit and activate engine sounds by sitting on a button. :lol 

5. SaberPrime

That's what I was just talking about.

I forgot about that gimmick however there are no other Mini-cons designed to use it. I was talking about the fact that Cyclonus actually has 8 Mini-cons designed specifically for his gearing system. There are a few others who do have gimmicks specific to the Mini-con they come with but Crumplezone isn't the only geared Mini-con that can attach to Cyclonus like that.

That isn't even specific to Rollbar. You can make that work with any Mini-con that can fit in the seat. You could even use Blackout since Demolisher also has a Mini-con seat though his doesn't actually activate anything. There were also seats on Tidal Wave's legs when you open them up that any Mini-con with similarly articulated legs can sit on. Again that doesn't actually activate anything, it's just something you can do with the figure.

6. Excikaiser

Excikaiser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, all this long text just to say you didn't read the instructions ?

Sans titre 1.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  7. thedicemaster

thedicemaster Well-Known Member

@SabetPrime POTP optimus prime can store his gun(s) in his back by plugging it/them in his orion pax hands.
    if you store them separately with the barrel pointed upwards you can even flip them up as shoulder mounted guns with a simple mechalive effect.(the wheels in his backpack act like rotating gears)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I also recall it being mentioned when the toys were announced and new too. But then again I am old enough to remember 2002.

• Like Like x 4
  9. SaberPrime

No... I said I didn't think it was in the instructions. I haven't looked at them in years I have a hard time trying to remember recent events you think I'm going to be able to remember instructions from years ago? Though to be fair, I may not have ever looked at them cause I rarely do unless I can't figure out the transformation on my own. Either way I never said as if I was sure it wasn't there.

What are you talking about? I did figure out the guns in Orion Pax hands things and rotating his arms over the shoulders though I have no idea why you would want to do this when Optimus never had any shoulder mounted guns but hey it's your toy... the part I don't get is the mechalive effect which doesn't exist.

The wheels in his back pack don't move like gears at all and you can not use them to lift the arms as there is nothing connecting them. His elbows do kinda bump the wheels a bit as you lift the arms if that's what you're talking about but that's barely noticeable even when I'm trying to do it. And it's a lot easier to lift the arms away from the legs so they don't bump the tires at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thedicemaster

thedicemaster Well-Known Member

for the shoulder guns I don't lift the entire arms, just the hands.
    and in many mechalive figures the effect was just "rotate limb or gun to make a gear rotate".
    I'll shows some photos when I get home.

and I wasn't going for any form of character accuracy, it was just a funny accidental "feature" I discovered when I tried out various ways to store/use the guns without having him hold them in his hands.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Nope, it's because Hoist was going to have the gear system but they abandoned it. That's what that brown block on his arm was supposed to house and where they would attach.

• Like Like x 5
  12. SaberPrime

That's worse. The hands don't touch the wheels at all. His elbows barely do it.

Yes but that is a system of actual interlocking gears that are intentionally designed to work that way. This is just an arm accidentally bumping a tire, there are no gears causing them to rotate, there are no gears at all.

Plus mechalive gimmicks were designed so you could actually see the gears not hidden away in back pack kibble.

You're talking about a gear system and all I can find are the tires. Tires are not gears.

Well like I said before, hey it's your toy, do whatever you want with him. ;)  Personally I mostly got him for Orion Pax so he's not going to be in Prime Mode much anyway.

13. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Hidden features from the Past!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seems daft Hasbro didn't include it in the instructions, especially when they packed the waldo arm attached.

• Like Like x 3
  14. The13Primes

The13Primes Jaxius._

News Credits:
    I had no idea the arm could come off. I’d love some more 5mm parts I could just peg in various places

• Like Like x 2
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    A fellow fan was in the same boat, he told me he only realised it did when he got a Takara version himself, as Takara pack it uninstalled.
    They still don't have it in their instructions either though!
    The semi-circular protrusion behind the port makes it so obviously meant for the arm when you spot it though (and when I say "obvious" I mean in retrospect as it still took me about a week of ownership to spot it and then kick myself for not realising sooner)!

And I'm with you on the more bits front. I was hoping some of the Diaclone reboot stuff's waldo arms would be 5mm pegged for Titan compatibility but between 3mm and 4mm seems to be their standard unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The13Primes

The13Primes Jaxius._

News Credits:
    Does the reissue still use stickers? Both my Plexes have no stickers and look bare

17. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Yes, but like the original Takara release less than the Hasbro version, most prominently missing are the ramp chest panel warning detail and the front end of the ramps' detail stickers (the chest Autobot sign is missing but that would be redundant anyway due to him already having a tampographed one). All the ramp side stickers and internal leg details are present and, I don't know if this is different from the OG Takara release, the stickers are on metallic silver backing where often in stock photo imagery (at least to my eye) they looked like they were printed on a flat white base. The ramp side stickers are a bit plain for my taste as there's no base colour on the centre detailing just the black border and line & text detailing over plain silver.

18. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can use the mincons(?) who came with the thrilling 30 legends as gun/weapon emplacements,right? IIRC the legends and their pack-in buddies were designed to work with metroplex.

• Like Like x 2
  19. The13Primes

The13Primes Jaxius._

News Credits:
    They never saw retail here in Australia (none of T30 did other than Jetfire at TRU) but that’s a good idea

• Like Like x 3
  20. RodimusSupreme

RodimusSupreme Autobot Leader and Combiner

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    None?! That’s a bunch of bullcrap.

• Like Like x 3