Convincing yourself on that next purchase

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know sometimes we all do it. We have to. We're all too old to be buying toys.

Now with that out of the way, I've found myself on the fence about Perfect Effects The Sun and The Night. I thought they looked ok. But I'm not familiar with the characters they homage. Sundor and Garboil just don't do it for me. Then again, I feel Device Label Blaster needs some minions. So, renaming the two bird-boxes started. The red one easily became Universe Blockrock for me. Now, I don't know why I care about him but not Sundor, but I always pictured Blaster ejecting Blockrock and saying "Blockrock, transform and knock his block off!"

But then I had to still rename Garboil to justify my purchase. "Cobalt"? No. "Tallyhawk"? Nooo. Nothing was coming to me.

Then today I was reading Dreamwave's "The War Within: The Age Of Wrath" and found this picture

[​IMG]

Holy crap! Raindance! Never occured to me before. He's a jet! But look at The Night in this picture. Perfect!

[​IMG]

Does that make sense to anyone else?

What have you pondered over and over about only to convince yourself to buy it with some ridiculous reason?

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

All the prime kabaya figures when I was collecting Optimus figures.

Also, most PE figures.

3. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    It doesn't take much convincing for me to buy yet another TF... :lol  The other day I was fiddling with my Classics Prime & I thought to myself "Maybe I should get him a trailer...". 24 hours later & I've bought a FPs G3 Trailer... :lol  A couple of weeks back I was looking through my Generations Book & the Trainbots/Raiden caught my eye. Guess what I ended up buying on Ebay... :lol 

4. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Yeah, most of the time I'm actually looking for reasons to convince myself of NOT buying a new TF :lol 

5. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

You made me remember I need to buy that Blaster hub. I probably shouldnt , but I already have Drift, Kup, Rodimus, Warbot, Perceptor, Blurr an Rodimus, so you know I need him for that shuttle crew from AHM.
    Is that what you mean?

I plan on making a shuttle somehow maybe out of wood with seats and a window and stuff. It will look like the shuttle in the movie and be in scale , including room for City Commander an MP Grimlock. Im just gonna worry about the front section that emergency seperates, even that will be pretty damn big.

I like that Straxus throne

6. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Convincing myself against better judgement applies to the entirety of the DotM line for me right now.

Though, now I know the Wreckers represent the motherland...

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just saw an avatar of 2010 Primus in planet mode. I forgot how perfect it is. Eep.

8. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i hear ya for me it usually starts out as , im not gettign that one they will make a bigger size class/better one later on

or the terrible holdout to see if hasbro releasese something (looking at you devastator) so i dont drop 600 bones on tfc hercules, but i dont know who is gonna win that one

9. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i have talked myself into hercules.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    For me it just goes down to rather if I like a figure or not. I'll look at new figure pictures or online videos from people that has it. If there is nothing I like about it, I'll just skip it when I see it in the stores.

The only time I'll break that rule is for a beast mode transformer. I don't care if it is a pink and purple snail transformer, I'll buy it without thinking.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I love that little guy. For his size, I think Dead End has the largest pieces of kibble ever. :lol 

12. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    When you start to dedicate a significant amount of braincells to understanding how it works and if you want it. I break down and buy it on that principle.

Fansproject Explorer and Munitioner. Was my example. I was'nt sure if $110 for two scouts could be justified. But considering how much I liked the designs. And How much the weapon kit added to bruticus for vehicle, Assault Robot, and combined forms. I wrapped my head around that as being two awesome to pass on.

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I convince myself all too easily to buy plastic crack.

14. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

Nope never. At this point i have a hard time convincing myself to buy anything. I look back at movie figures and with exception of ROTF Leader prime I don't want any of them. Same with Animated toys, same with any of the armada etc. if its not a perfect and mostly in scale Classics main G1 character i won't consider it. Recently i have passed on Hercules as well (in favor of my own custom)

Its actually quite liberating to know what i prefer so well. I dislike thinking back on wasted money, but I already know what I will regret missing if I do. :) 

being able to kitbash things def helps. I don't work on them fast or finish them in a timely manner, but the ability to fill gaps myself if nothing ever comes is powerful. It prevents me from buy ridiculous $$ pieces like hercules or that Arcee figure.

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Animated Snarl. I really don't like the figure all that much but I convinced myself that if I ever did find a Swoop (Already have Grimlock.) that I'd be upset that I didn't have all three even if Snarl does stay in his alt mode for all time. That and Snarl was on clearance.

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

It didn't take much convincing to get WST Tigertrack! :D 

17. Helix326

Helix326 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm on the fence on DOTM Voyager Ironhide. Even with my Target coupon. Need convincing that either makes or breaks the decision. Help guys!

18. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I have bought DOTM Leaders (both SP and IH), a few store exclusives, even Cyberverse OP with trailer, but I haven't purchased any wide release Voyagers. The voyagers basically are not convincing enough to me. Frankly I see these Voyagers down to $10, maybe even red tagged at $5 in discount stores.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    if you have so much time contemplating whether to buy or not or justify, why not just spend that extra hours working? Then you won't have to think about it to buy it, since you would have gotten the cash you need.

20. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke!

News Credits:
    I find I'm justifying a lot of TF purchases lately as a sort of final bachelor hurrah before I tie the knot later this year. XD Luckily the missus is a huge Transformers fan too, so that helps!