Converting .mkv files with subtitles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DX7879, Feb 20, 2012.

1. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I was wondering if anyone here knows how to convert a .mkv video file that has subtitles built, in to another video type while keeping the same subtitle font/style? I have tried countless programs and have had no luck at all. The subtitles can be turned on and off when I play the video on vlc player, but when I try to convert the file, subtitles do not show up. Most of the converting programs I have tried require loading a subtitle file, instead of being able to just select what is on the mkv file already

The most luck I have had so far is using "MKVExtractGUI2" to extract the subtitle, and then try and convert the file with a program I have loading the subtitle file. The problem with that though is that the text on the subtitle file on the mkv file is usually is white with a black outline. When I tried to convert the file using the program and loading the subtitle file, it ends up being a different font style, and without the black outline which makes it hard to read :/

When I try to open the file with "MKVExtractGUI2", I do see some things that say attachment underneath the subtitle file. Not sure if that might have something to do with the style of the text or not.

Any help would be appreciated, as I have been trying to find a way to convert some videos for over 2 weeks now

2. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would use MKV Extract to extract the subtiltes and the linked fonts if there are some then open the .mkv with VirtualDub (or is it VirtualDub Mod or Nandub? I don't remember which ones open .mkv and which ones don't), load the subtitles (add filter/subtitles), configure fonts if needed, then encode it into the desired video format.

3. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

Thanks for the response. I have been trying VirtualDub Mod the last few days, and it's suppose to open mkv files, but it doesn't seem to want to open the files. For one of my mkv it crashes, and for the other it says "only handle [S_Text/] subs for the moment"

I also tried extracting all the files I need, but have no idea how to open them in virtualdub mod. I have a .ass file for subtitle, ac3 audio file, and a .h264 video file. No idea how to open the video file :(  Also I'm unsure if it extracted the subtitles with the special font type and style