Conversion Difficulty Levels

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    did anyone else notice none of the animated toys get higher than 4? all the deluxes, voyagers, and leaders are level 3s, the activators are 2s, and the bumper battlers are 1s-why are there no 4s?

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Conversion difficulty level is a load of crap anyway. It seems like every Supreme figure they put out is a 4 (Cybertron Starscream, Omega Supereme are not hard to Transform at all). Animated Leader Megatron is one of the easiest to Transform in the animated line and has the same score as Bumblebee or Bulkhead, WTF?

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Conversion difficulty level is meaningless. It's based solely on size class, not the individual toy. I don't think anyone would say that Energon Omega Supreme is more difficult to transform than Cybertron Unicron, but the former gets a higher level than the latter just because it's bigger. Hell, the upcoming G1 Optimus reissue has a difficulty level of 3, and he's an incredibly easy figure to transform.

4. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Yeah i figured the numbers were just based solely on size class, with no reference to the actual toy itself. I just stopped paying attention to it.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tell me about it...I still find the movie TF one of the more challenging TFs to transform! :D 

6. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    I've been ignoring Hasbro's conversion rating due to reasons mentioned above. Takara, on the other hand, rates them differently (I believe) coz my Superlink Shockfleet (Mirage) gets a 4/4.

7. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tell me about it. Especially with the Movie toys, there were a good number of Deluxes and Voyagers that could have easily been 4's.

8. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

Ebay:
    It reminds me of the "levels" they used to slap on Gundam kits when they were brought stateside. Bigger always meant "more difficult" even though smaller figures required tons more paint/sanding puttying to get a nice show accurate look.

Even if the TF ratings had some semblance of accuracy, the notion of rating transformations by difficulty is offensive. Kids aren't stupid. 99% of them will figure out a complex transformation if you let them. Getting a little bit over your head means you might actually feel some accomplishment at figuring it out. Giving people the option to avoid the figures that might dare to challenge them....

...it just reminds me the women I saw at the Gamestop asking the clerk to pick a game for her son "that wouldn't have too much reading."

9. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    There've been a couple of movie figs that i would have given a '5'.

10. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

Is the Concept Camaro mold there? I give it way more than a "3".

11. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    absolutely...i love bumblebee but i find his transformation a pain in the ass...
    and IMO, movie leader prime deserves level 4 coz he IS kinda harder..well, at least much more to do to transform him....