Convention Exclusive Prime AM Shining B.2 & Shining O.P.

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Lbsammills51, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hello,

I managed to snag a B.2 Shining Version that was given away at Tokyo Toy Show (it's also scheduled to be given away at the World Hobby Fair convention in Japan this weekend as well). It was a freebie for kids who attended the convention, I think for answering a survey, but apparently some sellers got their hands on a few since multiple Shining B.2s have shown up on eBay since Tokyo Toy Show.

I've never done a review before, so bare with me. There isn't much different from this release compared to the normal B.2 that came with AM-02 Bumblebee other than the fact that this exclusive is made of clear yellow plastic rather than a somewhat golden brown.

It still comes unassembled and unpainted on the plastic runner. Similar to the recent Shadow Micron convention exclusives, it comes with just one sticker (the faction logo) rather than a full sheet, so it looks more "bare" than the normal B.2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's 'bot mode and gun mode, with comparison shots with the normal B.2, plus Bot Shots Superbot Bumblebee. B.2 is a more clear golden yellow, compared the orangey piss yellow color of the Superbot Bumblebee.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To finish up, here are a couple shots with AM Bumblebee wielding both.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For micron collectors, it's a nice, quirky little exclusive that looks decently with Bumblebee. It's not my favorite of the microns released so far (that's Gora, Jida and Zori, plus I'm pretty sure I'm going to love Breakdown's rhino when I get it in hand), but still a thing worth picking up. For those that aren't micron collectors, if you're a Bumblebee fan or just like clear plastic variants, it might be worth picking up but given the price it'll likely go for (unless a bunch flood the market this summer because they made more than there were kids to give them away to), it's probably not for everyone, which is expected with exclusive microns given the prices they tend to go for on the secondary market.

For anyone worried about a clear plastic toy and fragility, I put it together just fine and no stress marks or any signs of weakening or breakage occurred (same goes for the Shadow Microns, which were made of a clear black plastic) so in the short-term, it's quite durable. How it fares in the long term is anyone's guess.

2. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I figured rather than create a brand new thread, I'd just add these here for those interested. My World Hobby Fair Prime Shining O.P. arrived last week while I was at SDCC. I just barely had time to put it together and post pics last night, so here they are.

Similar as Shining B.2, the bracket with instructions and lone sticker (the faction shield). The clear blue used is a noticeably brighter blue than the blue used on the normal O.P. (which is more of a purplish blue). Compared to Shining B.2, it feels less "bare" without as many stickers, though that could just be me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one concern I have with this one, and I'm not sure how well the pics below show it, is unlike Shining B2., this one DOES show stress marks on the clips for the two joints in the "hip" area. Though it hasn't broken on me (I can transform it back and forth fine without anything falling off in my hands), this hasn't come up on any of the previous microns released using clear or opaque plastic (Shining B.2 or the previous Shadow microns). I find this interesting, since the only micron I ever had to use a lot of force to clip parts on was the C.L. and Shadow Ciel microns (with the legs, I think).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As long as you're careful and not reckless or forceful you should be able to transform this one back and forth just fine without breaking it. However, the fact the stress marks appeared right away in such a vital area is disconcerting to me regarding this toy's short and long-term viability.

I'm still happy with my purchase, but I'm somewhat tempted to look into buying an extra to hold onto as backup. That said, I imagine it's possible any backup, once assembled, could suffer the same potential issues. If the stress marks appeared in an area that wasn't terribly vital (like the arms or arm pegs), I wouldn't be as worried because the arms hold no vital role during transformation and are just there to make it look like an actual robot; the hips, however, are important in getting this thing to look like an actual rifle, so seeing those stress marks pop up right away isn't something I was thrilled to encounter.

As with Shining O.P., I'd recommend this only to micron collectors and/or those that like clear variants of existing figures. I do seriously caution everyone that this one may be more fragile, over the long-term (at least), than other recent clear plastic Transformer toys.

3. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks for sharing.

4. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Strangely, I ended up getting a free B.2. micron for ordering some of the recently released single pack microns.. Free Microns are best microns!

5. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Free's never a bad thing! I do find it funny that Shining B.2's become so widely available since it was originally distributed at Tokyo Toy Show. I wonder if Shining O.P. will be end up the rarer of the two?