CONTROVERSIAL!!! Does anyone not really care fore classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by scubaboy31, Jun 2, 2011.

1. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I find myself buying them for the love of the characters, but I end up selling them on almost immedietly. I don't know why, but cassics don't capture my heart like other transformers toys have, despite them representing s many of my favourite characters.

I have never had this issue with Alts, Masterpieces or Animated. And I love my G1 collection.

Why do I have such little love for classics? I buy them when released, and genuinely get excited about new releases. The lustre just fades exceptionally quickly.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Classics have always been the least interesting line for me, but I still like 'em and think a lot of them are great. However most just go on the shelf and I kinda forget about them, unlike Beast Wars, movie or Animated, for example. There's just nothing exceptionally unique about classics. They can't be, otherwise they're no longer "classic."

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I'd be inclined to say it's because they involve (re)producing cherished characters to a fairly low/limited price point.

I think Frenzy and Rumble are the best examples: Fondly remembered characters.... quite dismal toys..... memories take precedent, people start paying silly money.

I'm not entirely innocent myself.... although i paid in or around the original Japanese price.

The almost incessant repetition of hackneyed topics in regards to Classics, the endless wants lists, do a lot to take the fun out of it too.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Outside of a few figures, there really isnt anything in classics that really intrests me.

5. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the Classics figure I will ever find myself buying is Hot Rod, only because of how awesome the Protector armor is.

6. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I can say classics figures are pretty run of the mill for the most part. I get them because they are old characters and they provide a nostalgia factor but they have never been the most fun figures except for a few like Wreck-gar. I love them and will continue to collect them but i know they will never be the best figures ever made.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Classics > Every Other Line.
    OH, THE CONTROVERSY!

8. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I love Classics-styled figures. It's the originals which I don't really care for.

9. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

I find them meh too and only have a few even though I love the G1 cartoon, comics, and original figures. I can understand why people like them, though. As far as new transformers toys go, I like the movieverse the best and even got into PCCs, lol.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    GET OUT. :p 

Different strokes for different folks. I'm not even sure why I love Classics, as I was born a little late for G1, but I can't deny that I do. Conversely, I should freaking love Animated and yet it mostly doesn't excite me. Love the show, love the toys for being so accurate, but the style doesn't quite do it for me.

The fade of novelty affects all styles about equally for me, it doesn't hit Classics or any one line any harder. I still enjoy my movie Decepticons shelf that consists almost entirely of '07 and '09 molds.

11. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    True that!

12. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I grew up with G1, I was given loads G1 Transformers (most of them I still have), I watched the Sunbow cartoon, bought the Marvel comics back in the '80s. So you would think I would be the type that would really be into Classics.

I did buy into the hype surrounding Classics and then Universe 2.0, but when I got the toys (especially with Universe 2.0) I was left really underwhelmed. It's not as if I hated the toys, it just ended up thinking "is this it?" after less than a day of having them. From then on languishing in containers hidden away, unlike Movie-verse toys (especially Decepticons) which I have on display all the time, which is as unlike G1 as anything. I really don't have an explanation for that.

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    WOW and here I thought Classics was the ultimate Hasbro line. (excluding higher end stuff like Atlernators and MPs)

Personally I enjoy them a lot but this may be due to my refocusing on my collecting needs. I am going for American produced cartoon show characters which means I will be losing hundreds of figures from the MOVIES, AEC, 6" tites and possibly RID. I do enjoy having a large scale collect and Classics is a away of keeping it plump.

hat being said I grew up with G1 and it holds a very special place in my heart even though it isn;t my favorite series. Classics figures still hold my attention as much as Animated, Beast Wars and Alts MPs. They do fail with some figures but the same can be said for EVERY other TF line.

I got nothing negative to say abotu Classics, I'm still in love.

14. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    For sooth!

15. NeedMoreBeer

NeedMoreBeer Well-Known Member

Cosign Transbot90210

The love affair started with Universe 2.0, made me go back to get the older Classics. And it's been an on-again, off-again relationship with this line ever since. (On again, off again because Classics-style figures are not always on the pegs)

Then I found out about Botcon exclusives with Classics molds and my wallet hated me.

16. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I loved them until Animated came out. After the Unicron trilogy I started collecting everything again: movie, classic, Alt... But then when Animated came out I hated the aesthetic. They looked way too bland and unrealistic.

Then my mind starting looking at classics the same way when compared to movie toys. Movie toys look a lot more detailed and realistic. Classics looked more and more like drawings to me. Now I only collect movie toys...

17. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    You see, I kinda have this feeling that the classics toys are just a rehash of the original toys I owned. They may be better, but they don't feel 'new'. I think I've reached a point where a nice minty G1 Prime will always feel more 'proper' than a classics version. Which is weird as I can't do much with it. Masterpieces still appeal, as they are genuine 'collector level' figures, but classics feel like new toys with unoriginal designs for the most part.

I think I may feel the same way. Nearly every classics toy has left me with some level of buyers remorse down the line. The exception classics BB overall. Mostly because he sat with my Alts for so long.

The thing is, while I think classics figures are great toys, they may not really be the collector orientated line that I think I require. No doubt the character choices target the older audience, but the quality has never really matched up the level I think MPs and Alts did. Animated is a funny one as I think the overall quality of the show sold me on the line. That collection stands alone to me. Its as representative of its source material as my G1 collection is of the sunbow collection and marvel comics.

I think that may be the issue with classics for me. It's not a collector line (in terms of what they are aiming for, it's a maintream line which appeals to longterm fans) and yet it tries to stand as its own thing most of the time, with redesigns that leave me cold.

18. AMG

AMG Old School

I like classics and the characters they represent. I grew up with G1 and still love it to this day. But I don't see classics as a replacement for the original G1 toys, for me those can never be replaced.

19. M3GATRON

M3GATRON Well-Known Member

I love the Classics line its great. Its the old G1 Characters with out the boxy look and you can pose them like how you always wanted too when you were a kid. I have no clue why people sell them but hell if you are ill buyem.

20. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yeah i found myself kinda in the same boat, i was born in 81 but some how missed the broadcast of the g1 cartoon and only had the toys, so i like the engineering aspect of the toys but have no emotional attachments to the characters.

most people like classics because of nostalgia of the g1 characters, but from my perspective, beside a few bots, most of the classics have pretty boring transformation designs due to the nature of the traditional alt modes, so usually i take them out of package, transform once or twice and just left them alone. i found myself frequently dig out my beast wars/rid/energon/cybertron toys just to fiddle with them for awhile because some of them have really clever transformations or just way cooler alt modes than earth mode cars. the flood of repaints of certain classics molds certainly didn't help.