Continuity Clarification?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Mark McCann, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Mark McCann

Mark McCann New Member

Facebook:
    Hi there, I'm relatively new to TF.

Came in via the IDW's Robots in Disguise after meeting James Roberts, and read his & John Barbers runs, then played through the Fall of Cybertron and Rise of the Dark Spark games on PS4, along with the G1 inspired Devastation. Then I went back and watched G1 (I hadn't seen it since childhood,) and from what I can understand, the G1 continuity that ran in line with the Marvel comics has been changed to fit around a new continuity. But where did that begin?

I know TF has loads of different continuity strands from Dreamwave, to Armada to the Bayverse, but how do you tell what it mostly canonical and what isn't? it can all be a bit confusing. I started collecting the action figures, and again their box profiles often differ from the versions of the characters I'd known. Skyshadow for instance.

2. Collectotron

Collectotron Let’s just say i’m a bit of a Brawn enthusiast

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Okay I'll try and explain this as good as I can.

the g1 continuity consists of the g1 cartoon , the g1 movie ,beast wars and beast machines .

Rid 2001 is just a standalone cartoon .

The unicron trilogy continuity consists of armada,energon and cybertron.

Animated is a standalone cartoon.

The bayverse continuity only has the movies It does have a lot of tie in material such as the comics ,novelisations,the cyber mission cartoon and the game adaptions but they aren't canon

The IDW comics aren't connected to anything else

The aligned continuity consists of the exodus novels , war for cybertron game, fall of cybertron game , transformers prime cartoon & rid 2015 cartoon

The combiner wars & titans return cartoon aren't connected to anything else the sequel power of the primes will be out late this year though

The Cyberverse cartoon coming out late this year isn't connected to anything at least that we know of .

There is a bunch of Japanese stuff which is where it gets complicated but I've tried giving a basic outline.

This website should help Transformers Wiki - TFWiki.net

And

Here is a video you might find helpful

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mark McCann

Mark McCann New Member

Facebook:
    Hey, thank you very much. This is extremely helpful. I’m trying to find my way through things at a ley level. Is there anything you’d recommend as key pieces of lore? Or series/storylines that are not to be missed? I was recommended Last Stand of the Wreckers as a gateway & have been avidly consuming the material ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark McCann

Mark McCann New Member

Facebook:
    Great video btw. Very illuminating

• Like Like x 1
  5. Collectotron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    @Mark McCann as for things I'd recommend you should definitely watch g1, prime,beast wars ,beast machines and animated . I've only read a couple of comics so I'm not too knowledgable on them and I've watched a small fraction of the unicron trilogy but given fan reaction I'm not in a rush to watch it . What you could do is watch the cartoons in order they came out
    :g1
    :g2 (it's just some g1 episodes with a crappy 3D animation scene transition and good luck trying to find the complete series anywhere .)
    Beast wars
    Beast machines
    Robots in disguise 2001
    Armada
    Energon
    Cybertron
    animated
    Universe (web series )
    Cyber missions (short web series )
    Prime
    Rescue bots
    Robots in disguise 2015
    Combiner wars (short web series )
    Titans return (short web series )
    Cyberverse (tv series due out late this year)
    Power of the primes (short web series due out late this year )

Japanese cartoons
    Victory
    Zone (only 1 episode)
    Headmasters
    Scramble city (only 1 episode )
    Super god masterforce
    Beast wars ii
    Beast wars neo
    Go ! (Set after prime season 2 it completely ignores season 3 of prime and goes in its own direction)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It should also be noted that the Alligned continuity is very loosely tied together. They tell an overall general story, but they all exist independently from each other for the most part.
    The novels only follow each other.
    RiD directly (though debatably poorly) follows Prime. Rescue bots is a super loose spin off of Prime.
    The games are also their own thing.
    They all follow the same basic story, each telling it in their own unique take.
    My word of advice is to just treat each of them as their own thing.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mark McCann

Mark McCann New Member

Facebook:
    Thanks, guys. Much appreciated :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Collectotron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I really do feel sympathy for anyone who wants to dive into transformers fiction beyond the movies it is confusing as hell to know where to start and I particularly feel sorry for anyone who wants to start reading the IDW comics there is just way to many of them . me personally I've only read a couple of them which came with the figures and the first 10 mtmte comics the problem is that I'm put off reading more of the comics (except the rest of mtmte and eventually lost light ) because their is just so many comics it's overwhelming . Their is no way in hell that anyone who is just joining this franchise will be able to read all these . IDW Publishing - Transformers Wiki

• Like Like x 1
  9. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    GD

10. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

2010-2013 Transformers Prime is a must watch series
    I never liked the design of the characters so it took me a while to start it ,
    but its the best transformers series ever aired on tv

• Like Like x 2
  11. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Hmmmm. I'm not so sure about any of that.

12. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So when I first got into the extended fiction. What I did to help keep things manageable was read up on a series of fiction on tfwiki, and if it seemed interesting I'd check it out. Eventually I think I've watched almost everything (not yet done BW2. or Go) and read a lot of what is in comic form. But that might be a good way to look into things. I think almost every series has something entertaining in it, except maybe Energon. So there is a ton of good fiction out there, but it might be easier to stick to one continuity family, which TFwiki has everything split into for your convenience and when you are done you can move to something else.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Concerning FoC/WFC's relation to TF: Prime/RiD2015, feel free to read Aligned continuity family - Transformers Wiki (scroll down to "Clashing Visions"). FoC/WfC hasn't been related to TF: Prime/RiD2015 since mid/late 2015 (seriously, this need to get sticky'd with as many times it's referenced).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Super4Ever

Super4Ever Well-Known Member

You’re the one that keeps mentioning it though. Officially, they are connected. Just because the writers created continuity flubs because they didn’t want to play along does not change that for Hasbro all those series are related.

15. CybertronianFan

News Credits:
    Tell me. Where/When did *I* ever mention "all those other series ..."? I brought up and only pointed out that the so called correlation between FoC/WfC and TF: Prime/RiD2015 is no more. All other series were untouched. And I'll point out again. They are NOT connected. That site I keep posting involves official hasbro members that worked or still work for the company. That some of you wish to accept this or not is your concerns, not mine. If in your head cannon FoC/WfC & TF: Prime/RiD2015, then that's on you. However, I am just pointing out the official facts that many seem privy to or refuse to acknowledge.

16. Super4Ever

By all those series, I am referring to WfC/FoC and Prime/RiD2015. The information given was by someone who no longer worked at Hasbro. Just because he worked for Hasbro at one point doesn’t mean he represents their official stance. Yes, obviously the original plans for an Aligned Continuity fell apart. Officially though, Hasbro never rescinded their stance that these series are connected. Something said by a former employee at a convention is not an official announcement, whether or not what the person is saying adds up.

17. CybertronianFan

News Credits:
    A) If he worked for Hasbro back then, he was speaking for them (kind of the point of working for a company). What Hasbro never rescinded was the split occurring. Just because of one the people mentioned stopped working for Hasbro does NOT undo that decision.

B) More than one individual was mentioned in the excerpt (another feature many are conveniently ignoring), of which one still works for Hasbro and was part of the Clashing Vision decision.

Look, I don't care what any of you want to accept or deny. If in your head cannon those series are related, then that's your world. Officially, however, they stopped and the fact is Clashing Visions did officially happen. And, until Hasbro steps up and makes another decision regarding that matter, Clashing Visions remains fact, regardless of anyone's opinion.

18. Super4Ever

A) Rik Alvarez did not work for Hasbro at the time of the convention, so he did not represent them.therefor anything he said was not official in terms of statements by Hasbro. If he was still working for them at the time then it would be a different story.

B) The only other person with commentary in the Clashing Visions section is Andrew Hall, who only confirmed that this is what he had heard as well but did not not state the same information first hand.

So before getting defensive, make sure you have your information straight. The Aligned continuity got me back into Transformers, i’ve Read about all of this before just as you say you have.

19. CybertronianFan

News Credits:

Rik Alvarez - former IP development manager at .. where? Hasbro (cite: Rik Alvarez - Transformers Wiki).
    Andrew Hall - another former Hasbro employee that had little involvement with Clashing Visions, but still partook nonetheless (cite: Andrew Hall - Transformers Wiki).
    And, the guy you conveniently left out that was also mentioned in Clashing Visions, Aaron Archer - another one who worked for Hasbro as lead designer (cite: Aaron Archer - Transformers Wiki).
    As for he current employees mentioned in Clasing Visions. The creators of TF: Prime (which include, amongst others, Jeff Kline). Which is further solidified by the well obvious parted direction they took RiD2015 and the major distinction of characters from this series to that of FoC/WfC.

Apparently, you didn't read enough. So before getting on me, practice what you preach and get your info straight.

Btw, regardless of past employment, Hasbro has NOT changed the fact that this event did occur.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  20. Super4Ever

I’m quite aware Rik Alvarez worked for Hasbro, which I’ve made quite clear. However, what I’ve been saying is when he made the comments regarding the Clashing Vision he no longer worked for Hasbro. You can’t speak for a company you no longer work for.

Andrew Hall was mentioned which I said. But like I said, he stated outright that he didn’t have direct information, he was only stating what he had heard. That isn’t a direct source of information.

And yes Aaron Archer was mentioned in that article. And the only thing that was mentioned was what he did at Hasbro.

Show me where a current employee is quoted as stating what you are saying. Show me the proof. The article you keep referencing doesn’t actually state what you are saying so the burden of proof is really falling on you at this point.

I have never seen a current Hasbro employee comment on the situation and say there was a collapse.