Continuity - A Make or Break Story

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by RoadBuster88, Apr 18, 2012.

1. RoadBuster88

RoadBuster88 Studio Ghibli

I feel that what the last trilogy did not offer was a sense of continuity.

After the events of TFTM, the next film should have followed soon after, film-time wise. Maybe a couple of days, or weeks. I'm pretty sure RoTF was set 2 years after or something?

The only reason we knew it as a sequel was because some of the robots were still there from the first. I use the word "some" because of course some were missing, Barricade being the victim here. Many of the cast were missing, the sec def, the hackers. Where on earth did they disappear too?

RoTF was basically, to me, a separate film. The human race went back to not realising aliens existed, even after a full scale battle in the middle of a city with many MANY people watching or being involved. Ludicrous in my opinion.

There are many things that can be done to avoid this next time around, if this is going to be another trilogy that is. I say these points as if we had TF4 and we are on TF5...

1) Use the same characters from the previous film.
    2) Revisit locations from a previous film.
    3) Use a long running gag that appears throughout the trilogy (similar to Ratchet in TFP saying "I needed that!".
    4) Refer back to deceased characters from the previous film.

These are some small ideas. Got any others?

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It kind of felt like they were attempting to make both stand alone films and a series with continuity at the same time that didn't really work out that well either way. It just lacked that rewarding feeling you usually get for following a series over several films.

To be honest in our current entertainment age when it's so easy to get access to movies from DVDs or Blu Ray to streaming video to cable to even broadcast it's not hard for people to catch up anymore.

I guess my small idea would be to have a big overall plan even if you aren't going to make all the films you plan for. It would be nice to feel like things were part of an overall plan instead of a writer having to scramble to "fix" a problem caused by the last film. For example the revival of Megatron felt like something pulled out of hat rather than part of big well planned story arch. Transformers Prime was able to bring back Megatron but it felt like it was part of a planned out story.

3. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Even through it was not stated in the film, the whole battle was covered up by the Goverment, they created a fake organization named McClaren Robotics
    and the Transformers were passed off as autonomous biomechanical constructs developed for rescue and evacuation which wandered off their test site when the global communication blackout knocked the Global Positioning System offline.

4. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    That was scrapped. It doesn't even count because it was scrapped.

5. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    scrapper or not scrapped doesnt matters, the scene where optimsu recovers the matrix was scrapped, but DOTM shows he did recovered the matrix, so jsut cause there was no mention of something or we never saw it, doesnt means it never happened

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I love how Leo and Epps got married to each other after RotF. It wasn't mentioned and we never saw it, but that doesn't mean it never happened.
    This works because the fact he's got it in DotM means he got it after the events of RotF. There's no need to fill that story gap unless how he got it back becomes an important story element.

I guess really I didn't need an explanation of why the TF are still apparently secret even after the city battle in the first film. I just assumed it was covered up somehow. Would I like to know how such a big thing got hushed away so effectively? Sure I would, but I don't really need to know how, just that it was, and that was demonstrated by the TFs still being a secret to the public at the start of RotF. Cover-up is the only explanation. Unless they refer back to that episode in a movie later on with more specific details.
    So in a way you're right. But that doesn't excuse it for everything like that.
    Indeed. I can't imagine any kind of writer works on a project and doesn't have ideas for stuff that could come later just in case they're still on the project for the next go-around. I know when I'm writing something will pop into my head that I could do later in a follow-up story and so I'll seed something into the current story in case I want to expand on it further later.
    Of course it depends who's making the film and if they think it's worth adding or keeping those little things that could be picked up later. They may have been there from the writers at the start but through the course of the main production they just got dropped for whatever reason.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A movie that doesn't clearly outline every relevant fact for its audiences is a storytelling failure.

:lolol 

8. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    :lolol 

good one, but still i am serious jsut cause a scene was removed doesnt means it never happened

9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    So if at one point Sam was supposed to lose his arm and that was filmed and then that scene was deleted because the film makers changed their minds it still happened? He just grew his arm back really quickly.

Optimus had the Matrix in DotM, sure, but how he got it could be anything. We just assume that it's the same one as was in RotF and Optimus picked it up from the rubble. Maybe Primes poop out Matrixes and Optimus only realised this after the other Matrix got destroyed and so he cacked out a new one. Perhaps he won it in a competition from the back of a cereal packet.

If the scene isn't in the movie then technically it didn't happen even if it's obvious that's probably what happened.
    I know that's maybe analysing things too much but people should only go by what the info shown in the movie actually is. The general public isn't going to know of scenes that didn't end up in the film so they have to go by their own assumptions to fill the gaps. When talking about the movies and what they did within their self-contained structure you can't take into account supplementary material and apply it as if it was in the final cut of the films as shown.

10. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    that would be expections.

but still again just cause the cover up idea was never mentioned still doesnt means it never happened, the fact the humans were unaware of them strongly SUGGESTS it did happened

11. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Indeed. I don't know if you saw it in my earlier post in this thread as I added to it immediately after I submitted it, but I did concede that it's fair for people to assume such a thing happened. Would people have liked more of an explanation? Of course. But on that occasion I think it's okay to assume the simplest explanation. Same with Optimus having the Matrix in DotM. But only because of filling the gap through what was (or wasn't) shown in the movie suggesting it, not because you happen to know of a scene that was left out or a bit of info from an article or early script or whatever.

12. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    yep

13. RoadBuster88

That's the thing, I had absolutely NO idea about this at all, and i'm speaking as someone who actually comes on to forums to talk about this kind of thing. Think about the people who go and watch it as "less of a nerd". It didnt happen.

I understand that some things can be left to people's imagination but that kind of thing should be left to scenarios where one thing can happen or not, such as "did he die or not?" Not something so wild as a fake organization...

14. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    What???

15. RoadBuster88

It wasn't in the film, wasnt hinted at in the film, therefore, it did not happen. pretty simple really...

16. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Considering people are NOT aware of the Transformers, do suggest it did happened. as i said jsut cause it wasnt mentioned or seen, doesnt means it never happened

example; the matrix. Optimus was not shown recovering the matrix in ROTF, but later in DOTM we see IT DID Happened. even despite we never saw it in the films and despite the only mention of such scene was the ROTF novel adaptations

17. RoadBuster88

Whatever you say bud :) 

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The cover-up idea is way up there on the list of really really bad ideas.

We live in an age when even brutal repressive dictators can't keep cell phone video from getting out to show what is happening. Yet we are to believe that somehow the United States government can completely and totally hide the true from everyone but Sam's college room mate.

Watch the news almost any night of the week and there is footage of almost everything yet somehow giant robots battling in a major city can just be swept under the rug. I'm guessing all the witnesses just got shipped off to some internment camp so they wouldn't spill the beans.

19. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I agree it's fairly unrealistic in this day and age for such a big event to have been so completely covered up but since it's the simplest explanation for the audience to assume must've happened it's the best we can get. Honestly though what other explanation could there have been that wouldn't have sounded iffy? Giant Men In Black-style Neuralizer? Something placed in the city's water to make people forget?
    How would've been a nice addition, but just saying it was 'covered up' is probably enough to explain things away as any deeper explanation could've gone into cheese territory.

20. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Lol! I can accept that. This is officially added to my personal canon.

Actually that's exactly what it means. There's a school of thought which states, if it didn't happen in the movies, then it didn't happen. And this is a pretty acceptable mind set.
    Now if you want to add anything to your personal canon, well that's fine. But to most movies goers, if you mention the comics, or cut footage, you can't expect other people to really care.