Contest #4: Ultra Magnus vs Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Jan 21, 2009.

?

Contest #4: Ultra Magnus vs Sideswipe

Poll closed Jan 22, 2009.
  1. Ultra Magnus

80.9%
  2. Sideswipe

19.1%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Contest #4: #4 Seed Ultra Magnus vs #13 Seed Sideswipe

Voting ends at 12:01 am(CT), January 22nd, 2009.

[For an up to date bracket check the thread titled "March Madness Tournament - Transformers Style"]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultra Magnus feels he is a soldier and nothing more. He very much prefers taking orders to giving them, and even avoids opportunities for higher responsibility. But when he is forced into those opportunities, he betrays his real talent for the job. He's strong, resolute, dependable, selfless, and courageous. Sadly, Ultra Magnus is the only Autobot who doesn't realize this.
    Believing he is nothing but a soldier, Ultra Magnus is perfectly willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good if need be. He knows he's more powerful than the average Autobot, and will throw himself at larger threats accordingly. He is respected by both the Autobots and Decepticons, due to his courage and self-sacrifice. There is a special enmity between him and Galvatron for this reason, for Galvatron may be the most deadly foe of all.

Sideswipe is not nearly as much of a sociopath as his brother Sunstreaker, but he is every bit as skillful. He's more into battle for the sport of it. A bit of a jock, Sideswipe most craves a glorious fight to the finish as a test of his mettle.
    There is a reckless edge to Sideswipe's tactics. He makes rash decisions that may endanger him, all in the name of possible victory. Cheating is also not out of the question. When everything is on the line, for Sideswipe, nothing is out of the question. Over time, his reckless attitude has not changed; however, his cause has—once in it solely for the glory, now he's driven by the desire to defend freedom and the innocent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I apologize if some matchups appear lopsided to some but that is the nature of the beast with first round matchups in tournaments. I do believe we will see some upsets in this first round though and future rounds may give us some interesting matchups for sure.

In order to make it easier from my end I am trying to use a POLL for this rounds voting. Feel free to leave comments and bantor as well though.

2. BigBadBoombox

BigBadBoombox Boombox Cakes superior!

Winner=Sideswipe

Sideswipe doesn't play by the rules, he'd con UM into sacrificing himself for the good of the tournament.
    *Edit* didn't see vote counter, though my point remains valid!

3. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Make sure to vote in the poll for this round.

Sideswipe has got the speed and skills to overtake UM

4. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Winner = Ultra Magnus

5. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I vote Sideswipe, 'cause Ultra Magnus can't deal with that now...

6. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    HAHA thats hilarious starscream2008!!! I must say I am a bit surprised at the early push by the underdog in this one. Can't wait to read more replies tomorrow. Make sure to both use the POLL and leave your comments/try to persuade others of yoru arguments etc.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus. If for no other reason than having to put up with the corny "I can't deal with that now jokes", he gets my vote.

I vote for Magnus and Sideswipe is one of my favorite characters.

8. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Ha, UM is Prime with more armor and firepower. As such, he's impossible to kill lol. They both keep coming back from the dead, so even if Sideswipe got him the first time UM would just keep coming back till the job was done.

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I was wondering how many posts in it would take before we got a "can't deal with that now" joke. :) 

I like Sideswipe better as a character, but Magnus gets the vote. I mean, c'mon... the guy's almost a Prime. He squares off with Galvatron. Next to him, Sideswipe's just a scrappy little streetfighter.

I think Sideswipe could get some knocks in with a dirty trick or two... that would be fun. But no question... Ultra Magnus will finish this fight.

Interestingly, Sideswipe did batter that "Grindcore" guy in IDW's Spotlight... and it was vaguely implied that Grindcore was some kind of Dead Universe heavyweight... but I kind of felt that was Sideswipe batting above his league, y'know? I wasn't convinced.

zmog

10. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    winner- ultra magnus

11. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    magnus

12. AMG

AMG Old School

I like Sideswipe way better than Ultra Magnus, but he would be out of his league here.

Winner = Ultra Mangus

13. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Magnus he didn't need a magic disco ball to be abe to kick galvatrons ass, next that sorry sideswipe cool as you are but your just not up it.

14. Spoon

Spoon Banned

By that logic, I'm voting for Sideswipe for having to put with scary slash fics about him and Sunstreaker.

15. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Ultra Magnus all the way.

16. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Smog, in the NCAA they have 4 different regions each of which has teams ranked 1-16. So in reality there are 4 number 1 seeds from the beginning, 4 number 12's etc etc. That is why it was possible for a 5 and a 12 to meet up in the first round. So, if all the high seeds kept advancing the final four would consists of 4 number 1 seeds facing off against each other. Hope that makes sense.

17. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

As a lot of other people stated, UM is basically Prime. He's huge, tons of armor, and tons of firepower. Plus I love his shoulder rockets and those are just win. Sideswipe is a scrapper but he's just more of a grunt soldier for the autobots. While he could get some hits in and show signs of a decent fight, UM would basically not even let sideswipe get close and use his firepower to blast the bejesus out of him wherever he runs to. I think when the match begins, UM would say "I can't deal with this right now!" but then just shoot a shoulder missle and obliterate Sideswipe.

18. MethKitty

MethKitty it's about the podcast!

News Credits:
    magnus

19. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Magnus, and not because he brings the hammer. It's because he could use Sideswipe AS the hammer.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Ah, I get it. I wasn't thinking of regional conferences and how they feed into the tableau eventually. Thanks!

zmog