Contacts question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shipwreck, May 14, 2007.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I just recently got contacts and I was wondering if anyone else gets headaches while wearing them or just really tired feeling eyes. Is this normal or go away after wearing them more often or do I just need different contacts?

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Tired eyes I remember. Headaches? Did your prescription change?

3. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Youll get used to em man.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Give it at least a month. If the headaches are unbearable right now, try to only wear the contacts for a few hours a day at first and work up to a full day. And use the moisture drops if your eyes feel dry.

But yeah, a period of adjustment is totally normal.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:

You know what makes my eyes burn?

Blunt-smoke.

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

There's an adjustment period and tired eyes and headaches are a part of the package. If the headaches continue after a few weeks, then something is wrong. It would probably be best to limit your eye strain as much as possible.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

When I first started wearing contacts, the doctor had me wear them for a hour the first day, 2 hours the second day, and so on.

8. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

I get tired eyes all the time. And they are severely dry. Rewetting drops don't help much. I only wear them now when I go out and don't want glasses. I use O2 optics and at first they were fine but I think that was just because I really didn't want to wear glasses anymore. Are they colored lenses because they are even worse for causing dry/tired eyes?

9. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I've been wearing contacts for about 10 years now and I had that when I started. Have you jumped into wearing them full time or did your doctor have you work up to it? It sounds stupid, but it's the best way to go - 2 hours for a day or two, 3 hours the next day, 4 hours, 5 hours, etc. until you're wearing them all day.

Your eyes also aren't used to peripheral vision being corrected as well. Use drops to keep them moisturized and do your best not to sleep in them (unless they're made for overnight). They'll also make you tired at night, especially if you're already sleepy. Your eyes will feel much heavier.

What brand of lenses did you get?

10. Claytonian

Claytonian Well-Known Member

There are many, many brands and types of contacts. Give these some time and see if you get used to them. If they never start to feel right, ask the eye doc for a sample of other lenses. When I wore contacts, I had dry eye syndrome so it took quite a line of sample lenses to come up with the best feeling ones.

Of course even those never felt great so I decided to go the Custom LASIK route. One of the best decisions I ever made. Stick it out with the contacts for a bit, but if you ever find yourself relatively financially stable, look into LASIK. It is not cheap for a good doctor/laser center, but the results are amazing. I am better than 20/20 now (around 20/15) and no dry eye problems anymore. It is amazing. I wore contacts for about 10-12 years before doing LASIK, so I feel your pain with becoming acclimated to wearing them.

Good luck! They'll start feeling better soon.

11. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

If the dry eye keeps being a problem, even after you've become accustomed to them, I recommend the Acuvue Oasis with Hydraclear. They're something like 80% water, I can't even tell they're in my eye.

12. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Ditto. I used to use Bausch&Lomb. I switched to Acuvue Hydraclears. Night and day difference. After about 6-8 hours the B&Ls would be killing my eyes and forget sitting at a computer screen. It seems like I can wear the Acuvues indefinatly. I have had them in for up to 18 hours no problems. They're that good. Can't even tell they're there.