Consumer Distributing Catalogs

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Karl Hartman, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Karl Hartman

Karl Hartman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone out there have, or have access to, Consumer Distributing Catalogs from 1984-1990, or scans of those catalog pages with Transformers on them? Please post if you do here.

Thanks,

Karl

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

Man, i miss consumers. go the depot, fill out a form, girl goes and gets your toy. AWSOME!

3. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I remember those!

Except that the one near where I lived was always out of stock. Of EVERYTHING.

Toys? Nope. 1-2 weeks.
    Patio Furniture? Nope. Next month.
    Stereo Equipment? Nope. 3 weeks from now.
    Dining Room Set? Nope. Not sure when it'll be in.
    Kids Outdoor Jungle Set? Nope. Discontinued 3 days after the catalogue was printed.

Hmmm. I can't imagine why they went out of business.

4. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yeah, i remember wanting alot of robotech stuff but they never had any in. I did get alot of the GI joe Vehicles from there, and a lot of Gobots, but never any transformers. always got them from Wolco or K-mart.

here in town, i do believe i was the last customer in teh store, before they closed. it was the day after my graduation from High School, and with the "good wishes" money i had colected from family and frineds, i went and got myslef a refracting telescope, $3000 on sale for nealry $1000. they next day, they were closed and shut down

5. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    The non-Canadians on the boards will have no idea what we are talking about - Consumers Distributing was a Canadian chain.

I remember going in there once with all my X-mas money, plus my 2 brother's x-mas money that we'd all pooled to buy the 5 G1 Predacons. Of course they only had 3 of the 5 in stock, so we wound up with Rampage, Headstrong, and Divebomb. We figured we'd pickup the other 2 later, but never did.

Fast forward 20 years and here I am buying 4 of the 5 Predacons on eBay to finally complete Predaking. Talk about issues from childhood, eh? :) 
    I only need to buy 4 because Headstrong survived and is sitting on my shelf near complete. The other 2 are long gone, though I have the guns and one Predaking fist, plus Divebombs wings (broken).

The last thing Consumers did for me was sell me the engagement ring I used to propose to my girlfriend in University. It was a fancy, upscale Consumers in a mall and it was closing at the end of that day. I walked in and offered the guy (I think he was from the liquidators) everything in my bank account for that ring - my offer was about a third of original price. They accepted, I proposed, SHE accepted, 11 years later we are still happily married. :) 

6. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I knew an ex Consumer's Distributing store manager. Apparently, they had serious issues of internal theft.

Still, I miss that place. Flip through their in-store catalogue, fill out the order form with the tiny lead pencil, wait in line 15 minutes and find out that the toy you were looking for was not in stock :lol 

I did manage to get the Aerialbot giftset from them. If only I knew what I know know, I would've kept the box! :cry 

7. FatCat

FatCat Member

http://tfu.info/issue01/catalogs.htm

Sears and Consumers Distributing Catalogs...

I so remember the waiting for your toy and finding out that it wasn't in stock. That's how I got my first TF... Soundwave wasn't in stock so I ended up with Megatron...... worthwhile compromise I think.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I remember paying more for my GI JOe figs there.

9. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

$18 cdn for a g1 megatron.... $19 for prime.. CRY CRY CRY

10. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Not true! They did have them in Northern California. I remember getting quite a bit of toys from them like Star Wars, Transformers, and Atari video games to name a few. Nothing was better than reading the catalogs from this store and Best before Christmas and looking at the new toys that were comming out.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I was going to just post link, but these are too cool. More from the old Sears catalogs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

[​IMG]

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    too bad they didn't end up making astrotrain like that.

14. FatCat

FatCat Member

Ah the good ol days where toys could be guns and toy guns didn't need an orange tip

15. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lolol  @ Soundwave.

Gobot 3-packs for 15.99? I thought they were cheap than that for some reason.

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I think we had something like this near me. one was called "brand names" the other was called "best". I never really understood the economics behind them. I mean, it was still a regular store, wasn't it? it was like they just kept all the cases out back and didn't put them on the floors.

17. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Sorry, I don't have scans.

I think I went to Consumers Distributing as a kid once or twice. I think that might be where I got an Air Raider toy or two.

Also, Jetfire for around $30? No wonder my mom couldn't get him for me the one time I ever saw him. Regular TFs were a special occasion at the time. Maybe if I'd seen Robotech I mighta held out for Jetfire but as it stood I don't think it was ever broadcast in town, and Jet/Skyfire was just the Autobots' big giant taxi.