Construction Time Again

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It occured to me recently that the Decepticons of the G1 cartoon are quite the industrious laborers. Thinking of all the things they built, we have:

- a new spaceship to return home
    - an underwater base centered around their crashed spaceship
    - multiple spacebridges
    - a new city just beneath New York! (or at least one really big building)
    - The Stunticons and Constructicons (I'd include the Combaticons, but Starscream didn't really seem to have to build them)
    - Check out planet Charr when the Decepticons first settle as compared to a few episodes later when it's covered with tech and buildings.

Anyway, I'm sure you all get the idea. The G1 Decepticons built a lot of stuff. And here comes the relevant point. In the IDW G1 comic, All Hail Megatron, we see the same characters wandering about with no real goal in mind other than wiping out tiny pockets of resistance. They're bored and Megatron's not putting them to work towards fortifying their position on Earth. When the Autobots show up at the end of the story, it's easy for them to drive off the Decepticons, due in part to their lax defenses. It's not like conquering worlds is a new thing for the IDW Decepticons, with all their phases for invading and overtaking other planets. IDW Megs should be used to directing the conquest of a planet, and I'm sure the first order of business after assuming near-total dominion isn't to let the troops laze about while resistance fighters organize around them; human, autobot or otherwise. I wasn't ever clear on what Megatron was doing on Earth during the whole AHM arc anyway. Just hanging out or what? He could take a couple lessons from G1 cartoon Megs though, I'll tell you what!

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    That's right, you tell 'em how it is!

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Hell yeah!

4. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    *L* Alright then!

5. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

stayinginthebox that's a sweet ass sign man!

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Heh. I wonder if anyone else will recognise where this thread's title is from.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Thanks my man!

I like yours too. Is that a comic adaptation of the movie or something?

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well, I always found it to be so ironic how the Constructicons were all about destruction.....

Well to be honest, that's not true.

Once they were construction friends with Omega Supreme. They helped Grapple and Hoist build their invention, etc.

OP has a point...the nature of characters' altmodes & their respective skills should be worked into storylines a whole lot better.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Building Trypticon as well.

10. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    They certainly built a whole lot more than the Autobots built, even including Metroplex. There's something made by Decepticons in a majority of the episodes.

--Moony

11. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Darn it, Mako! You always point out good things! There was a sense of the Decepticons not having much to do in AHM. It was just "We've conquered Earth. Now what?".

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Don't forget Triple Takeover. A whole bunch of stuff was built in that one, like a gigantic maze and the choo-choo army.

Oh, and the creepy throne made from living Autobots.

I love Scrapper. He's like freaking Ed Gein with that sort of stuff.

- Coeloptera

13. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Thats true! Decepticons are creative and Autobots destructive, always destroying the poor Decept's buildnings, inventions and toys :( 

Regarding IDW, yeah I agree. I hadn't reallt thought that much about it but then again I really don't care that much about the deceptions in AHM, the Autobots were more interesting and exciting to read about in that series.

14. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Have not read AHM yet, but yeah in the toon they were almost god-like in their ability to create things. Anything Megatron could ever need or want they could whip up in no time at all. I've been heavy into Transformers since the beast era, and while I was around and had the G1 toys, I was too young to remember much of the show from its original run. Just finally been seeing G1 with the shout factory releases. One thing I am finding odd is this: The Con's have no problem creating new ships almost on a whim. How come the autobots can't even manage to move the ark at least out of the volcano? I know its just an 80s kid show, but if all these ships get created so easily, why is everyone still hanging around on earth?

15. Coeloptera

Or even things he shouldn't have wanted or been given:
    [​IMG]

I swear, Scrapper apparently just shrugs, thinks "Whatever." and indulges the big lug. Hook's probably just happy to be showing off the fact that he can actually assemble this nonsense and have it work.

- Coeloptera

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True, though I think it's evened out a tiny bit with the Autobots putting forth a lot of time and effort repairing/rebuilding the stuff destroyed in battle, which is something the 'Cons never bothered with. Who feels like putting together a new superweapon or flying fortress when they just had to rebuild half of Seattle for the fifth expletive-ing time to stay on good terms with the humans? :) 

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  17. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Can't even move the ark despite having all the governments of the world helping them, according to Spike at the end of MTMTE part 3. But you raise a good point; the Decepticons were on a hostile planet where the Autobots had allied with the dominant species in order to wipe them out, and the 'cons still managed to construct virtually anything they needed (how many temporary bases did they carve out of mountains anyway? ;)  ). The Autobots, with all the help and resources the humans could provide, kind of sat around and waited for something to happen.

But I understand why. In kids' cartoons you want it to be very clear who the heroes and who the villains are. If you show the Autobots actively hunting down and "destroying the evil forces of the Decepticons", suddenly your good guys don't look as good anymore. By having them react to whatever evil scheme the 'cons are up to, it allows them to look more heroic. Good guys don't throw the first punch, right? We saw this last summer in ROTF when the movie opens with Autobots actively hunting down Decepticons that haven't been shown to be doing anything evil (on-screen). Maybe the fact that they were Decepticons and on Earth was all the reason they needed. A lot of people thought Optimus and co. were being a lot more brutal and un-hero like because of that.

So reactionary, passive cartoon Autobots of G1 = heroic?
    Or active, pre-emptive attacking Autobots of ROTF = heroic?
    Either way they're kind of screwed. Back to the original topic, the G1 Autobots were shown building a couple super-weapons; the Negavator and the Immobilizer. Both could have dramatically turned the tide of the war in their favor, but going along with the guidelines of a kids' cartoon and not wanting to show the heroes being too aggressive, the Autobots' super-weapons are stolen and put into use by the Decepticons. I mean, can you imagine Cliffjumper (or whoever you like) at the controls of the Negavator, vaporizing Decepticons left and right into thin air, while laughing and cracking snappy one-liners? If someone were to walk in on that scene with no prior knowledge of the episode, they'd probably assume Cliffjumper was the villain.

Whoa. Tangent. :) 

18. Coeloptera

Well, there's also a personnel issue.

For the Decepticons, we have the Constructicons; six of the greatest architects/engineers in Cybertronian history, with alt-modes quite literally designed for excavating, refining, and building. We have Soundwave, scientist and researcher. Heck, we even have Rumble, who could open chasms and move great amounts of terrain around. Oh, and of course, the Constructicons can form Devastator, who has been shown to occasionally assemble things.

For the Autobots, we have longtime companions Grapple and Hoist (and maybe the occasional Roadhauler) and Wheeljack, I guess, but he's more of an inventor and technician than engineer.

The Decepticons actually seem to have had a better workforce for large-scale projects, in general, than the Autobots.

- Coeloptera

19. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You make a very valid point. In the cartoon( which WAS meant for kids at the time) the good guys never shot first, but, I think the way the Bots were hunting down Cons in the beginning of ROTF is more realistic. When you're at war, you don't wait for the enemy to find you, you hunt them down and strike first.
    As far as which version is "heroic", I think that's, to quote Jetfire, a "deeply personally choice."

20. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Except that 'heroic' and 'evil' are labels applied by forces outside the individuals doing the acts. One CAN choose to do acts which are considered 'heroic' by society or based on basic morality, but they won't be the one labelling themselves 'hero' or 'villain' unless they want to also look egotistical - which is not generally considered a 'heroic' attribute. 'Heroes' according to our society are those who say 'I was just doing my job' or 'I'm not a hero, it was just the right thing to do'.

--Moony