Heavy/Scratch: Constructicons, merge into Devastator!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jbarb78, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Constructicons, merge into Devastator! *Updated Pics*

Finally finished!

First off, there are a few people who deserve to be thanked here, begining with Ptitvite of course. Without his version, this probably would never have happened. Zildjian, for the awesome casting of the head I sculpted, it was almost a shame to paint this crystal clear beauty (they're available for sale through him by the way.) Frenzy_Rumble for his version of this custom, another one responsible for the inspiration of this, and his drybrushing tutorial as well. Big Hank for the tips on wiring way back when, I was able to use the parts finally for a project he advised me on months ago. Thyvipera for the extra Unicron head, came in handy bro. Wheeljack and Anemis for the styrene inspiration, those guys make this stuff look easier than it really is. Boggs6ft7 for the awesome decals. And of course, all you guys that have been patiently waiting and encouraging me to get this PITA done. This is the most involved project to date that I've ever done, and I learned a considerable amount from it.

Alrighty then, most people are familiar with the formula by now, so I probably dont need to get too detailed with which bots were used. I did have a few additions to the mix however, and a few things were deleted. First off, Cybertron Starscream parts were not used. Unicron's knees are hidden below the styrene, as well as Primus' waist and crotch. Unicron's hands were highly modified, adding an extra knuckle to every finger. Cybertron Megatron's knees were used for the shoulder joints, and his shoulder joints were used for the elbows. Parts from Meg's were also used in the chest sheild and waist, which pivots forward as well as rotates 360 degrees. The head was sculpted from styrene, his face is from Unicron, which was filled and sanded to remove some detail. I used Unicron's noggin since it's slightly larger, being roughly 16.5" tall, and having broader shoulders, Screamer's head was just too small. Inside the head is a 3mm red LED, with the power source hidden in his neck.

Toss all that together, add some Testors enamels, mix gently, bake at 325 and there you go. This guy is going to be listed on Ebay, though I had originally inteded to keep him. My employment situation, or lack thereof, is forcing me to sell a few things I dont want to let go of, including this. It sucks, but I'd rather keep my home.

Enjoy guys!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*NEW PICS ADDED*
    Made some corrections, based on some keen observations that I couldnt spot (thanks Mike and Whiskeytango.) Chest sheild was moved up, and I countersunk the ball joint into the head a little more, and lowered the base it sits on a bit. Looks a lot better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      93.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. rohrerprime25

rohrerprime25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    man that looks sweet that is a awesome job how long did that took

3. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

He looks great. The legs especially are awesome. All that time and effort certainly payed off.

That being said, I almost hate to say theres anything I don't like about it, but it seems like the chest shield is too low on torso. It makes it seem like everything above it is too long, whereas if you look at the bot as a whole, you can tell its not.

However, that may be a very conscious design decision on your part, so its just personal opinion.

Edit: I'd love to see a better shot of his head, as its very unique amongst a sea of (admittedly usually awesome) sameness.

4. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the G1 forearms and thighs and the fact you didn't go with Unicron/Primus parts. He looks a bit stumpy though, like legs seem too short. I guess that's how G1 was too? I don't remember exactly.

5. Long_Haul

Long_Haul N*ggacon

WTF is Sunstreaker thinking? i do like Autobot Pancake yumm! great work man. i can dig a good Devys Custom

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I think this is one of the best ones.

7. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thanks man, been working on this since March.

Thanks, the legs were actually shorter before, I added an inch to them below the knee, any more than that would've looked odd I think.

Hehe, yeah he's so boned. Thanks.

Thank you, and yeah, I took the sheild off and held it up a bit higher, which does look better. Tomorrow I'll take a few new pics with it moved up, and a couple of his dome.

8. Jbarb78

Ebay:
    Thank you sir, I'm very glad you approve. I still need some more practice with the drybrushing, not near as good as that Primus of yours.

9. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    damn
    defenitly the best one so far.
    i love the G1 arms and thighs.
    its amazing how every artist brings his own points and and upgrades to this amazing bash.

i would have to agree with whiskytango about the chest shield-its too low and imo tad too small.
    please take a better detailed pic of the head.it looks fantastic.

working on this beast from march paid off and and i hope that the ebay auction will boost your financial status,and that by the force of the shwartz u'll find a new job soon.

10. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    Wow man that is just amazing, I like the head design too

11. MasterpieceMP33

MasterpieceMP33 Well-Known Member

last pic sunstreaker is about to get his light put out. great custom

12. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Looks great but the angry fanboy in me wants purple too.

Man how many Devastators have been made, you guys should count them off when you start a new one.

Maybe get all together and make one huge Tonka sized bot with all the glowy doo-dads and ad ons.

13. heroic_decepticon

heroic_decepticon Cybertronian

Wow, that's a thing of beauty!

14. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

I am very impressed with this one. You took many steps to make your own version of Dev. The added arms and legs that resemble the original as opposed to Unicron and Starscream parts is a step that puts this piece in a league of it own.

In addition, the mods you did to design the Mixmaster are a welcome addition to the bashing field. An important step for that elusive non-partformer Mixmaster.

You should be extreme proud of this work, this one is a keeper...I would hold on to it if I were you!

15. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Man this has been well worth the wait. Great job. I would also like to see close up pics of his head. This piece is most definatley a work of art. :thumb  :thumb 

16. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

as i said before the best devastator to date!
    Very G1 ! love it! Great to see it painted,sorry to hear that you have to sell it,i hope you get a great price for it.

17. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is....Wow.....amazingly wow!!!!! Congrats on an awesome custom ensemble!! Sometimes I'm so thrilled when I'm done with a new custom because I've learned so much. I bet this piece makes you feel really good!

18. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Absolutely AWESOME!!!! This version of Dev is REALLY very cool man; it's big, it definitely has the bulk, Mixmaster kicks A$$, the freekin head is PERFECT, the styrene mods are very cool and bring in that very nice G1 effect. Overall man, this is a beautiful Devastator.

I also thought the chest shield was a tad low, but you raised it and now there's nothing to question at all. Someone is going to be very proud when they win that for sure!!

Oh yeah, the changing up the joints kicks a$$ and they are just as durable now (since you used Meg's) as any transformer in the cybertron ultra class (which are tough sobs')! That's cool because I know some guys mentioned that the lego parts or neo parts were questionable in the long run.

Paint apps, of course ROCK man!

19. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope jbarb does not mind... beut here are some close ups of his head scuplt. What people need to know is that it is roughly 1/4 bigger than the standard supreme SS head that most use. It fits the build so much more. It is simply awesome:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Jbarb said, these will be made available through me in the VERY near future... I just need to get a thread thrown together. Black, Tan, White, Gray, and Clear will be available.

20. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    the arms really stick out - SO accurate, and so perfect. congrats on a job well done!!