Consoles online?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by PopCulturePooka, Nov 14, 2006.

1. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Does anyone else here have consoles tht aren't online, and have no intention of hooking them up online?

I'm somewhat not liking this growing trend to 'need' to have your console online to get necessary updates for firmware, games and compatibility and I'm not really interested in online play. Like I've pointed out before, setting my consoles up for online play would also be way to expensive to be justifiable.

Down the track how are people who aren't connecting their consoles supposed to keep up? Will updates be made available elsewhere? Say on games CD's? Magazine CD's?

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i'm in the same boat, i will be hooking up the Wii online, and if i do get a PS3 and 360, those too.....but it wont be for online play...it'll be for the fun stuff.

i'm hoping Nintendo Power will be adding a disc to their magazine with updates.

3. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I had my 360 hooked up for a bit, then the latest download upgrade messed up my 360 along with other 360 owners My console freezes every now and then but nothing major... YET. The worst part is that Microsoft is not holding themselves responsible for the recent upgrades that were put in place.

So I don't know if want to hook mine up anymore.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=7226

though it was just demos and such....maybe it would of also included updates....but with the end of this, either someone else will be doing it or un-onliners will be screwed.

5. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I dunno, I think the online gaming looks fun. I've never tried it, but my little bro is on xbox live all the time with the 360, he's met a few guys on there he plays with frequently

i've taken the headset a few times and yelled and swore at random people, that's always halarious

I like being able to download the arcade games, and 360 demo's too :) 

6. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

MS did take notice, and said they will fix any console that was affected by the Fall Update. And if its not fixable, a new 360.

I really don't understand why your asking this. In the past no console games would get any support in the form of Patches and Extras unless it was a PC. Its only recently games for consoles have been getting patches and such, and for only Xbox and 360. No Clue if the PS3 will do Patches or anything, and somewhat doubt the Wii having them. At elast for a year or 2.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The PS3 needs a patch before you can even play a game. Though it can be patched by the games themselves, similar to how the PSP can be updated via the games.

8. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Never plugged my Ps2 to the net and more than likely I won't bother with the PS3, I have a PC for internet stuff.
    If sony start doing updates and such via the web I shall make use of the memory card slots to transfer said updates.

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Having a 360 or PS3 not connected online (even if you're not playing multiplayer online) is pretty much crippling the systems.

MS has said theyre looking into ways of getting updates to people not having their consoles online (the OXM disc has had game updates on it in the past) but I don't think theres been anything for 360 yet.

Most gamees are going to run fine right from the box. Updates are usually reserved for adding and fixing Multiplayer problems. SO far theres been a few add ons for single player games but its just mostling clothing or new skins.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I know that you can use a CD to install the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility updates. I saw it on the official website when I was checking to see if Panzer Dragoon Orta was supported yet.

11. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I have dial up. So I have no choice but to leave my game systems offline. I don't have anything but my PC that needs to be online anyways but if I get a Wii or 360, I might take it to my in law's and hook it up there or something. Thats what I do now if I need updates for my PC.

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Had a year of XBL, used it once to play Phantasy Star. Now I have my PS2 hooked up (For occassional Mortal Kombat ROunds).

Our Wii WILL be online though for it's Virtual Console.

Finally, Our Ds's are used online a good bit.

13. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits: