Console Wars question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, Feb 1, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    http://nexgenwars.com/

Ok, so according to that website, The Wii is handing the PS3 their ass. As of now, we all know the Wii is selling well. However, hasn't the Wii been released in Europe, while the PS3's Europe launch is still a few months away? Wouldn't that close up the gap significantly?

Please let me know if my information is off.

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

last i checked europe isn't big enouhg a market to make a huge difference. it's basically just the ds vs the psp translating into console form, for basically all the same reasons.

3. funkatron101

Ebay:
    The Nintendo sold 200,000 Wiis in the UK over christmas alone, and one article says across Europe, 700,000 Wii consoles were sold in December. Pretty significant to me.

http://wii.gamezone.com/news/01_15_07_10_43AM.htm

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Europe is not gonna get the PS3 back on its feet. Besides its insanly high Price in Europe(about 838 US), and making them wait 3 some extra months,Sony has been losing support from many European gamers.

360 and Wii are right now best consoles in the US and EU.

5. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

The PS3 isn't selling as well as the Wii in Japan and in United States. Do you think it will be a breakout hit in Europe?

Yeah, the Wii has the advantage over the PS3 in that its already being sold in Europe but even if they both had simultaneous European launches, I don't think it would matter much.

I'm sure the European launch will give the PS3 a small boost. But it won't be enough to really be signficiant (IMO).

Sony can't sell the PS3 and they can't produce enough units. Sony has gotten so desperate that they have even considered a price cut this early in the game. But the problem is that they are already losing money on every console sold, they would lose a lot more with a price cut.

Not to mention, would a $100 price cut entice enough people?

6. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I don't know. I don't live in Europe. Different Markets produce different results. Look at Xbox sales in the US compared to Japan. That seems pretty significant to me.

My point is, I looked at the huge gap and thought "Holy shit" then I realized that Sony hasn't released the PS3 in every market yet. Will is catapult them to number 1? Probably not, but it will probably soften the blow that everyone is labeling it as a colossal failure.

7. Ramberk Magnus

Well... I doubt it. But again, that's my opinion. The PS3's problems are related to its price and lack of 'hot' launch game and not because of something else. These problems don't change from region to region.

But we'll see what happens come March...

Incidentally, Europe never quite warmed up to the N64 and GC but seem to like the Wii.

8. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

WHat will soften the blow is when they drop the price to under 400 for the good version.

9. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I agree, but they are already loosing money hand over fist right now it seems, and by the link that Ramberk Magnus posted, a price drop seems like a very desperate act that probably won't generate into more software sales.

March will be a very interesting month regardless. The Wii will hopefully be available to everyone by then and may loose a little steam, and the PS3 will have another release "surge."

10. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

More and better games is what PS3 needs. As it stands, there isn't much out and not much to look forward too anytime soon (definitively). The latter applies to the Wii and Xbox 360 as well (imo).

11. optimus_prime_rules_007

optimus_prime_rules_007 Banned

The Wii is the machine to own, the PS3 is so ridiculously over priced and everyone knows that HD-DVD is where it's at, not Blu-Ray. I used to work for Samsung and they are pushing the Blu-Ray, not one store in the two cities I covered was selling it. Goes to show you, Sony put all their eggs in the wrong basket. XBox 360 and Wii are the place to be right now and the gaming community seems to get that, it is a shame Sony doesn't, but then again, I'm not surprised by their arrogance in the "We are number 1" area, Nintendo suffered from the same problem until Sony showed them a little humiliation.

12. Ramberk Magnus

Its funny, the only game I've been looking forward to recently is on a PS2 (God of War 2). Having said that, I still have fun with the Wii (it's all about Wii Boxing).

13. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

the only reason i dont owwn one is the price... but im starting to think sny may need to go back to making other entertainment systems, even the PSP is getting advertised on tv as a video player, MP3 player, and every thing else it does but play games

Truthed'd me too, i dont think ive boughten a game full price since 1 to tell you the truth

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I think the problem is many gamers feel that the PS3 is less a game machine than an attempt to seduce people into suppporting Blu-Ray**. As everyone else has said (many times), the PS3 will not sell until it is priced as a game machine, and not high end home theater equipment.

As for the original question, the Wii is getting a boost from Europe, and Europe's sales were enough to put the XBox in 2nd place last generation. However, the reason that the PS3 is not in Europe now is because Sony made a machine that was so high end it could not make them fast enough to meet it's own promises at launch. In the States and, I understand, Japan, there are PS3s readily available to anyone who wants one, so there is no longer any reason to believe that limited supplies are holding the PS3 back in those territories. OTOH, the Wii continues to sell out. So one could reasonably conclude that if production rate were not a factor, the PS3 sales might not be much higher than now, and the Wii's would be selling even faster.

**In this regard, Sony's tactic may be working, as theDigitalBits reports that sales of BR software has moved substantially past HD, and the gap appears to be widening.

15. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Why the hell is the PS3 so expensive over there???

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    PS3 to $400?

I'd buy one.

And that would still leave the number of X-Box's that I own at ... 0.

17. funkatron101

Ebay:
    So now the question is, should Sony drop the PS3 down to $400?

I think it would obviously get a few more people, as Kickback shows that. But honestly, at that price, right now I still have no interest in getting one. There just aren't any games that make me say "Man, I really need to get a PS3!" Especially considering that we can probably get the same game on the PS2.

Plus for the fact that out of all three systems, the PS3 is selling the least amount of games per system. Dropping the price will only make the profit margin gap even larger, and harder to reach.

Would you buy a PS3 at $400? and if so, what games would you get?

18. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

At this point, not even a price drop would really tempt me to buy a PS3. The only exclusive games for it that I really would want are FF 13 and MGS 4, and those two games are not going to be out for a while yet. Besides, it is entirely possible that MGS 4 will come to the 360 (note I say possible, not probable), and thus the only game I would want a PS3 for is FF 13, certainly not enough to make me drop the money on it.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

PS3 at $400 (for the 60gb version)...of course....i still pefer a PS system over a XB system...and with both at $400, my money goes to the the PS3...

games i would get would be: Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII (and company), and Metal Gear Solid 4.

20. funkatron101

Ebay:
    and two of those are at risk of loosing exclusivity.

So of two responses, we got 2 games, and 3 games. What would be Sony's magic number of games to break even on a $400 machine? I think it's going to be tough to get it. Looking at my collection, I only have 6 PS2 games, and 3 of them came from the 2nd hand market. I may not be typical, but I don't think there are too many people that own a huge library of games. They only pick 5 to 10 of their favorites, maybe a little more.