Console problems?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by bulletthebluesky, Sep 3, 2009.

1. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

I keep reading all these threads about RROD and Graphics card problems, and error codes and disc read errors and (insert problem here) for the XBox 360.

My question is, how many people have had problems with their PS3's?

Not trying to start a console war or say which system is better than the other, but was just curious as to why there seems to be so much trouble with 360's and I don't really hear much about the PS3. Is it that PS3's have less problems, or that PS3 owners are much less vocal about their problems, or am I just looking in the wrong places and not finding many complaints?

Opinions?

2. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I got the Yellow light of death on Tuesday i had never heard about it until i looked it up after mine died. I guess Sony wants me to buy A PS3 slim lol.

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a launch PS3 60 gig console no problems at all with that. Although I did have to send my launch PS2 in for repairs twice, never paid a dime but still lost the console a week both times.

4. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    First off, there are more 360 users out there, which makes the issue look worse than it actually is.

On a similar note, it'll be interesting to see how the new PS3 slim holds up.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I had a few issues with my PS3 while I owned one. Poor network strength/signal. I the "touch" buttons really ever worked on the first go.

Nothing strictly hardware, but it was enough to make me sell it off at a loss just to get it our of the house.

6. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

There's more demand for cheap than quality control these days. I can't get my PS2 to load half the time, but the Intellevision II works nearly every time. On the other hand, that thing cost close to $500 when adjusted for inflation.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah but that ratio doesn't work if 90% of people report no problems and 50% of all 360 owners report problems. Yellow Light of Death doesn't have it's own sig in message boards.

Yeah, but I have had the rechargable battery on my Halo Edition Controller die well before its time, and network issues on the 360 as well. He's referring to full on failiures. The issues you're referring to, Grimmy, are issues that creep up and disappear and definitely affect all three of the systems.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Oh, for sure. You can't deny the PS3 has far less issues. Hell, my original Xbox still works great after 5 years of daily use as a media center with XBMC. I use it to stream media over my home LAN every day and it keeps on ticking.

I'd be scared to use a 360 for the same purpose.

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I'm aware. I may prefer Live, but I'm not a fan of the maintenance of it.

Ironically enough, never had any issues with the WiFi, even when playing online with really spotty wireless. Never had any hardware issues either. Weird.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly I have never had a serious issue on Live. I remember fanboys filing a class act lawsuit against MS because Live didn't work in December of two years ago. I thought "seriously" as if your computer is ALWAYS online.

Saturn = No issue
    Gamecube = No issue
    PS1 = Floating Sharks in RE1 after playing for 12 hours straight
    PS2 = no issues
    Xbox = the Bill Gates edition we got from work fried within a week, but my store purchased one never had issues
    360 = 3 RROD
    PS3 = Nothing yet.

All cartridge consoles (no issues at all)

edit: 3D0 = no issues but who cares
    Atari Jaguar = ........

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    In 20 years of gaming and owning close to every system at least once,i have never had any problems except one of my early PS2's stopped playing blue bottom disks.

My 360 is on year 2 (of semi steady use) and has never had any issues.

I can't stress routine cleanings enough:thumb 

12. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    The failure rates on 360's are pretty well documented. It's actually a statistic that is reinforced by the number of 360 units out there.

That being said, my launch PS3 died about 9 months ago. I got it used, so there's really no telling how much injury the previous owner did prior to me getting ahold of it. (It was a power supply failure btw.)

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish that was really the simple way to keep it living, but it's not. A lot of folks here seem to be really up on maintenance of their system and they still fry.

What about Wii? Anyone had issues with those? I had a very very small issue two weeks ago where it just stopped working, but unplugging it from the wall and plugging it back in fixed it. No issues since.

14. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    I had a launch Wii that died.

GPU burned out.

It was a pretty common problem without a lot of reporting on it. Basically leaving it on Stand-by (orange light) and having a lot of friends/internet activity would heat the thing up until the GPU burned.

That was fun.

Got my replacement and 2 days later, someone broke in and stole everything we had, Wii included.

Yup.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shit, so should I unplug mine? I notice the Wii is always Hot, while the PS3 and 360 are cool when they are off/standby.

16. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, when did someone break in your place? I'd sell you mine but my wife would kill me, she stood in line for it and well lets say she attached to it. Still got your PS3? If not dude you are welcome to come over and game sometime.

17. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I don't know if this goes here but:

If my hardrive is not fried, and i take it out of my useless PS3 and connect to IDE & SATA To USB 2.0 Adapter and get my games save files?

18. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    It was nearly two years ago.

No worries, s'all good. I appreciate the offer though.

We were fully insured, hence my bit of expertise in how to deal with Insurance companies and collectable toys. Everything got replaced, Wii, games, systems, TV. Well, everything except my complete L5R card collection.

(oddly enough, everything BUT the Transformers were taken. I think they were overwhelmed at trying to get at them. That or just tired from stealing all our other stuff.)

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Just turn standby connection off. I think its under wiiconnect24 options.

everything in the Wii is just packed too damn tightly. doesnt help that the stand it comes with blocks the intake fan, either.

20. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    Should work...

That's what I do because Wiiconnect24 is dumb. Ironically, it was the first Wii I owned that I kept laying flat and it was the burnout.