Consolation Prize

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jestermon, Oct 20, 2009.

1. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever had the hunt on for something only to not find it, then buy a figure that you are so so about to replace the empty hole that would have been filled by what you were hunting for?

Happened to me before, I was looking for Ice Cream twins, before I saw them and decided against them, so instead I bought Movie Thrust and a Cobra Ice Viper, that I was on the fence about to make up, does this sound familiar?

Is this just me or a part of the Plastic Crack addiction.

2. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I bought ROTF Breakaway back when I couldn't find the Icecream twins. Even though I was waiting for the Thrust repaint of that mold.

Now I wish I had waited.
    I mean Breakaway isn't bad per say, it's just that Thrust looks better.

3. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

Consolation prizes are simply the result of an unsuccessful hunt. What I like to do is keep any items gotten this way sealed for 48 hours. If at the end of 2 days I still want them I open them. If I realize that I never wanted the stuff to begin with, back to the store it goes.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't go on the hunt as often as I used to, but yeah, sometimes I don't like to go home empty handed.

Last year I got that Star Wars Crossover that turns into the walker dealie. Can't remember what I was actually looking for. No regrets, but it's definitely the last I get from that line.

5. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Just today I bought Stratosphere and Ratchet because I couldn't find HA Skids (which doesn't exist in my area). I've been on the fence about Stratosphere and Ratchet, but since Target is having their $15 Voyager sale, I figured now is the best time to pick those up. Plus I was planning on spending $30 anyway so it worked out.

6. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope this makes you feel better.

I went to Target to look for Scalpel. He was not there so I settled for HA Skids. :rolleyes: 

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Damn good idea. Most of my turd figures have been impulse buys as a result of not finding anything for a while. I know I don't really "need" them but keep looking at them and convincing myself that I do. Have really toned it down this line, but I think I will start to live by the 48 hour rule.

8. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Pretty much every purchase made during Feb-May this year was consolation for not finding TFA Voyager Grimlock.

9. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

All those RPMs and Robot Heroes fit this category in my case.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    went to target for the ROTF Superion and Bruticus Maximus and they were sold out and no Ice cream Twins either so i bought dluxe sideswipe, wheelie, Voyager Megs and scout Nightbeat

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went searching for Voyager Long Haul, but couldn't find him, so got deluxe Rampage as a consolation. Only regretted toy.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

That's exactly how I ended up buying Universe Octane. No idea what I was initially looking for. Actually, I wasn't on this board at the time so I wouldn't have known case assortments. I went blindly looking for something cool. Came home with Octane. And found myself utterly surprised when I got home.

I've weened myself off of the consolation prize though. I can leave a toy aisle just fine without anything in hand. Even if it takes myself an hour to do it.

13. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I have been in the same sitch,I was looking for Stratosphere for so long finally I just ended
    up getting Target Superion Max,he was worth it in my opinion,think even better than olds
    strats woulda been.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I don't know about consolation prizes but a lot of the time I find something great for TF when I'm not actually looking for anything, like new Legends, Universe Inferno, or just yesterday, Animated Shockwave, the last two also being nicely discounted too. :)