Consistency and Inconsistency between movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Dec 28, 2011.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Consistency:

Megatron is badly damaged in RotF which carries over into his DotM design.

Inconsistency:

Bumblebee is able to talk by the end of the first movie but doesn't speak in either of the sequels.

And this one I just noticed looking at the wiki is my reason for this topic. When Mikaela torches one of Wheelie's eyes in RotF it turns blue. He goes threw the rest of the movie with two different colored eyes but in DotM they're back to being the same color.

Pre-torch
    [​IMG]

Torched eye
    [​IMG]

DotM
    [​IMG]

Of course now that I'm looking again I've noticed something else odd too. His pre-torch eyes are both red. His eyes in DotM look more like the toy's coloring. But his remaining red eye after getting torched also looks more like the toy coloring. I think they switch from red to orange depending on the angle you're looking at him. At any rate, what happen to his blue eye?

2. r6680jc

r6680jc Well-Known Member

Why don't you also ask about how bumblebee got his legs in rotf, because the answer is the same as how wheelie got his red eye back.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't think it's completely insane to imagine Wheelie might've got his dang eye repaired in the intervening three years.

Bumblebee regaining his voice by the end of the first time in order to finally speak to Sam and say he wanted to stay with him was a solid idea from a script-writing perspective, but not from a marketing one. The "radio voice" idea worked, it became Bumblebee's thing, and they couldn't very well NOT carry it over to the second film, so they had that quick-fix "still having voice problems?" line in there to patch it up. For what it's worth, one of the ROTF comic prequels also did it's own patch-job, and showed Bumblebee losing his voice again after an attack by Starscream between the two films.

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Bumblebee had to get his legs back though because he can't do much without legs. Wheelie can get along just fine without his eye.

The other side of that argument is that Megatron's face is still damaged from the previous movie so if Wheelie fixed his eye in the gap between movies why didn't Megatron fix his face?

It's still an inconsistency if you think about it because one carried over damage from the previous movie and not the other. You're probably going to say Megatron's damage was worse but hey Scalpel rebuilt his damaged body in just a few minutes so I don't think fixing his face was that big a deal.

5. megatron66

megatron66 OD'd on candy

^^

Megatron keeps killing his little brain surgeons, remember? So its gonna take a LOOOONG time...

6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I'm sure I'll catch flak for this (shocking!), but I'd noticed the intriguing shifts in Wheelie's eyes, too...and I believe it to be yet more symbolic color-coding at play, as is suggested elsewhere in the film in a number of instances.

The shift in his burnt-out eye's coloration in TF:RotF happens in tandem with his "housebreaking training"/torture at the hands of Mikaela, which culminates in him switching sides to the Autobots (because he's just so faithful, lol, but anyway), which results in him having one RED eye and one BLUE eye during his transition between Decepticon and Autobot allegiances.

And, as alluded to R6680jc in the post above, he was then repaired to full-functionality between films.

HOWEVER!

He isn't fully-recognized as an Autobot despite his newfound allegiance to their cause (note the Decepticon insignia remaining on his back -- more symbolism, btw, putting it "behind him" -- and his generally having been dismissed by NEST and Simmons), so instead of the repair to his eyes effecting a fully-red or fully-blue coloration, they instead become half-and-half, with blue "irises" set within red "scleras," as seen in the third pic above.

:) 

Oh, and Bumblebee's lack of a voice in the second film after regaining it by the end of the first isn't strictly an "inconsistency," insofar as it was addressed within the sequel, no matter how vaguely.

Just sayin'.

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, now, that's just nonsense. There's absolutely no reason no to have your eye repaired if you can.

Um, because the Decepticons are stuck in the middle of the desert, scrabbling for resources, and Megatron keeps popping the little guys who are TRYING to do something for him like grapes? They're members of two entirely different factions in entirely different situations with entirely different resources and methods at their disposal. One happening does not in any way mean the other has to happen as well.

8. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Wheelie's eye is self-explanatory.

Bumblebee's voice is somewhat hard to back up story-wise, because for the sake of the movies they probably decided just to go back with no voice. In the story, you could say that he had a short period where is tried to work. (it'd be like having chronic arthritis and the for a few weeks the symptoms go away due to some outside influence)

9. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I think the real world explanation is that they purchased the rights to a bunch of things to use for Bumblebee's radio that they didn't actually use in the first movie. Sense they were still holding the rights to use it they stuck it into the sequels.

That being said it would of been cheaper to just pay Mark Ryan to do his voice to to secure the rights to all the little sound clips that were used in his radio. Even though some of that stuff was taken from Public Domain they still paid for the rights to everything else.

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

It is entirely possible BB just prefers to use the radio to communicate, y'know, he's been mute for a hundrend years [or more], it's kind of hard to start talking out of the nowhere.

11. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    An eye is a lot easier to fix when compared to the fixing of half a head. Not to mention, Wheelie is about 1/19th the size of Megatron, so there's relatively less damage to fix there too.

12. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    Hey, that's the way to go Hazekiah!
    Now instead of making your own thread about everything, you can start posting on related ones!

Anyway, yeah, you have a point gnp, the whole Wheelie's eye thing is pretty inconsistent. I noticed it only during the actual torch part in ROTF, but didn't notice it magically reappeared in DOTM...
    As for BB's legs, I guess it's either TF body regeneration going on there, or it was fixed by Ratchet.
    And the voice... Just marketing "New Bumblebee" as I like to call him.

13. OptimusPrimer25

OptimusPrimer25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ratchet probably fixed bumblebees legs and wheelies eye. scalpel would have fixed megs face but he kept picking out his clone helpers so the process took forever

14. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    I don't think ratchet would touch his eye... Too filthy...
    Or is it Prime ratchet I'm thinking about?

15. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pretty much, this

16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

It was never stated how long Bumblebee had been mute. Ratchet only said "His vocal processors were damaged in battle." for all we know it could of been just a few hours before arriving on Earth. I figure it happened before Bumblebee got to Earth because Ratchet hadn't arrived yet and he had been trying to fix it.

I covered this in an earlier post but I'll say it again in more detail.

We seen Scalpel was able to repair Megatron's entire body from the All Spark damage in a matter of a few minutes. Scalpel is a tiny robot working on someone much larger than he is and it didn't take him long to do repairs. With that kind of skill demonstrated on camera it's not hard to believe that Scalpel could fix his face.

The "fixing an eye" compared to fixing a face is irrelevant, we're talking about two very different doctors with different skill levels working on different patients. Compare Scalpel fixing Megatron's body to fixing Megatron's face and then you see why that seems weird.

Going back to the Autobot side of things. Aside from that laser Ratchet shot at Bumblebee's throat we've never actually seen him fix anything. (Another reason I hate Movie Ratchet.) That being said we don't know his skill level. Plus the size difference is reversed. Instead of a tiny robot fixing a large robot it's a large robot fixing a tiny robot. Just physically it would actually be harder for Ratchet to fix Wheelie's eye than for Scalpel to fix Megatron's face.

Again we've seen Scalpel's skills as a doctor, we haven't seen Ratchet's. It's quite easy to believe that Ratchet's hands are simply too large to work on delicate circuitry in the eye of a tiny robot like Wheelie. He may have been able to talk one of the human threw the procedure but I can't actually imagine Ratchet himself touching Wheelie's eye without crushing his head.

Even by human standards Wheelie is small but we're use to working on machines that small and our hands can more easily work with the small parts. Wheelie would need to be about the same size as a human in order for someone as big as Ratchet to be able to work on him.

Of course Ratchet could have tools for working on smaller robots like humans have tools for working on smaller machines (like watches) but we just don't know what he's capable of.

If both doctors had the same skill level and everyone was relatively the same size then the only thing to take into account would be the extent of the damage they were fixing but sense that's not the case there are other factors you have to look at besides just the amount of damage.

Personally I see it as being more likely that Megatron would get repaired before Wheelie.

17. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    bees voice was damaged again in rotf-prequel-comic by wreckage

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All this consisitency vs. inconsistency talk and no one mentioned the two Devastators? :)  Sorry, I couldn't resists. But to weigh in on the actual topic, we can come up with all these explanations, but to me it didn't make a lof of sense that MEgatron's face wasn't fixed. Even if they were in the middle of the desert, they had some plans in motion, and someone like Laserbeak had access to technology, so they could have fixed it, but I guess they just left it there for effect.

19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

There's only one Devastator. The other guy's name is Brawl. The subtitles appearing that said Devastator is just a mistake... that was made intentionally... by Micheal Bay... who is the mistake.

Back to the Megatron thing. You mean they left it there because it looks cool. Well actually... yes, yes it does. Of course personally I think his face looked damaged to begin with. I just think it looks cool because the hood helps to cover that ugly thing. And before someone takes that comment about his face being damaged to begin with literally I'm just calling him ugly.

20. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    If you pay attentions Scalpel had Help from the constructicons in repairing Megatron so this was easy with extra help, but with Megatron Head, The Scalpel drones worked themselfs without hte help of Bigger robots, so this time its taking longer as the tiny bots have to fix him without help from big bots not to forget Megatron is seem to have the habit to abuse them

Starscream, Wreckage was dead when bee vocal prossecors were damaged