Customs: Considering scratch Lego MP Trailer + Roller

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Keith Prime, May 11, 2011.

1. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    Overnight, posting about the possibility in my comic thread, I half talked myself into considering completely dismantling 2 of my most complicated Star Wars Lego Sets, The Twilight & (original) Turbo Clone Tank, to build myself a proper trailer for my 20th Anniversary MP Optimus Prime... Which if I go through with it, would end up in my comic...

While considering it, I ventured into the Radicons Customs thread for the first time not just following a link (usually, from someone's profile where it lists what page they're viewing), to see how the Customs threads are run, 'cause if I do this, I intend to do it right, despite my head injury...

I did a bit of research (checking instructions sheets for pieces I'd need, which only one book actually had the piece layout in the book... Think one might have the count on the actual box, but I'm not sure) into such a feat, before starting typing this post, & discovered the Twilight & Turbo Clone Tank do not have enough paneling (6x6 or larger flat pieces) for the trailer, which means I'd also have to completely dismantle my (original) Millenium Falcon as well to have no gaps (& possibly cannibalize the wings of my Lego Tie Fighter for the bottom of the trailer).

Knowing how the G2 trailer I have works, & the special Legos included in the Star Wars sets (namely Technic parts & the special ratcheting joints, most notably used in the X-wing wing deployment), I have a rough idea how to do the Combat Deck as well...

I just don't know if I want to do this. I don't normally dismantle my Lego sets once they're assembled (have twice: once for a Batwing w/ the Blacktron Renegade, several times -- back & forth between the normal set & the Batwing, it was an easy mod, rather than a total rebuild; once w/ the Space Police Galactic Mediator, trying to replicate the "also possible" robot, which I did successfully), & if I want to reconstruct them, 1) I probably wouldn't want to dismantle the trailer unless I got a proper replacement & 2) rebuilding the sets would be difficult w/ my head injury & the fact that the parts would be intermingled, in addition to 2 of these sets being over 800 pieces (TCT: 801, Twilight: 882, Millenium Falcon: 659).

I've always wanted a trailer for MP-01 since before I bought him, & if I can get the money for my head injury while iGear's new MP trailer is available, assuming they release this one (they cancelled the last one after I had paid for it in full :banghead: ), I'll get the proper trailer & reconstitute my Lego sets...

A bonus that would arise out of building the trailer would be getting the pieces I need to make Wheeljack's inventions properly...

Decisions, Decisions...

I've never done a scratch build on anything before, so I'm not quite sure how much of an undertaking this really is, which is part of why I'm starting this thread...

2 other reasons were:
    • I've been using my camera phone to take the pics for my comic, so I don't know how that would transfer to the quality of any pics I take. I've been getting the quality better & better w/ every update. ^_^ I use 800x600 resolution, which yeilds the largest, clear pics I can get.
    • & I'm not sure if a large Lego trailer counts for Radicon consideration... I've seen at least 2 Lego only TFs, so I'd assume so, at least if I do get it to transform into the funtional (including a rotating turret) Combat Deck. I can also try to get Rollers Wheels to turn, & depending on how detailed I chose to get, if I choose to start, the Turbo Clone Tank does have a suspention I could try to carry over to the trailer...
    The more I think about this, the more I want a proper, transforming Trailer for my MP Op, especially as once it's built, it'd make 'shopping Op to the right size (one of Wheeljack's incomplete, not plugged in inventions shrunk MP Op to roughtly iGear's PP01 Faith Leader's size) much easier (right now, I have to shop in the G2 trailer, resizing BOTH MP Op smaller & the G2 Trailer bigger); the current arc, they're heading to Wheeljack's Lab on Cybertron to try to revese it...

On a seperate note, maybe someon can tell me if digital mock ups count for Radicons?

Since I'm going to be doing a scene in Wheeljack's Cybertron Lab, I figured I'd try to 'shop in the proper backgorund:
    [​IMG]

I took the file meant to be printed out for that Teletraan-1's top, & used it to form the walls, floor & Ceiling. I posted a description of what I did in a Social Group & my comic thread that I can post here if anyone's interested...

I intend to make a better quality background (likely w/ a different computer configuration than Teletraan, by rearranging the parts) for the actual update.

2. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    I've decided to go through & make the trailer.

Because it relates to my comic, I think in addition to the comentary, I'll post the update pics as an Omake to my comic, as a "thank you" to my readers who waited for me to get it all done.

The project will include:
    • a fully transforming, MP sized grey Trailer
      • that can open to the Combat Deck
      • w/ a rotating turret
        • w/ an independently rotating grabber claw
        • as well as be able to raise & lower like the G2 Trailer's
      • possibly w/ working suspension modified from the Turbo Clone Tank's
      • rear doors that can both open as doors & lower as a ramp
    • Roller
      • possibly w/ turning front & rear wheels
      • depending on how long it takes, I may also include weapons for Roller
    • as well as a few contraptions for Wheeljack's Lab
      • since what I used for the scene in his earth bound lab would clash w/ the Cybertronian walls (see bottom of post above)
      • & I feel he needs some stuff w/ moving parts

3. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    Should've posted this hours ago: WIP Thread http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/403478-lego-mp-trailer-roller-combat-deck.html

Anyway I've disassembled the entire Clone Turbo Tank (less some bits that either don't need to be disassembled 'cause I won't be using the parts that compose them, OR I want to keep assembled as a reference) & have the axels assembled, pics posted to the WIP thread soon...

I have to abandon the suspension idea, the way the Clone Turbo Tank's worked relied on it's width, which was significantly wider than the trailer will be.

4. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Best of luck to ya.

5. Keith Prime

News Credits:
    For those looking here, rather than my project thread, I've made tremendous progress:

I've got a functional chassis for Roller constructed (including tilt-suspension steering), just need to come up w/ the shell; the trailer's wheels (a bit big, but it's all I have that's big enough); ramp/ doors (both splits open & folds down ^_^); bumper/ lights panel; & a working design to get the walls to fold down!

[​IMG]
    The wall here is merely for testing purposes. I did have 2 whole wall sections built (long enough for 2 Alternators, w/ extra space, or Roller & the Weapons Platform), but the design of the folding mechanisms requires a different configuration of the panels, likely each section specialized for each support arm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Keith Prime

News Credits: