Considering returning my Leader Sentinel Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SectorStar, May 17, 2011.

1. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

So like most people I got most of what I wanted today at the store and thought that maybe it was time to purchase my first Leader size figure and I thought Sentinel Prime would be a fit addition. I just got done spending 2 hours transforming it....the instructions were far from helpful, yes they showed you what to move, but the pics being so small it was hard to see all the details, and for an autistic person like me, if I don't understand details all it does is frustrate and upset me. Trust me I did my research through reviews and picture gallery and stuff, but trying to do it yourself is a whole different story then watching someone else do it. I can't see myself trying to go through all the hell of it again and for 40 bucks I much rather use that money to get some more deluxe or HA figures down the road that I know I'd enjoy more.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    While that's always an option (especially if you're regretting your purchase), I've also found that pausing videos until I've fully understood the step goes a long way, and so does simply spending some time getting to know all of the moving parts, rather than trying to memorize a series of motions that result in the finished transformation. I've rarely been able to do the latter, even with simple & sturdy ones.

Also for what it's worth, it's not like many of these new toys are "great" to play with anyways due to their complexity & overall brittleness, so having them on display really is what they were meant for, especially when it comes to the larger ones like your Sentinel Prime. For example, my ROTF Mixmaster went from truck to robot, and will remain as a robot as long as I have him (probably). I mean, if you really want something to "play" with that's from the newer era, Scouts & Deluxe are probably the best (getting Crankstart made me feel like a little kid again), so yeah. Hope you figure out something good to peruse this with.

3. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, just like ROTF Leader Prime, I have no urge to ever Transform this guy. Took one look at Leader Prime and said "this looks like too much of a debacle to transform, and is gonna be displayed in bot form anyway", so there it has sat for two years.

5. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

See the problem with me is, I don't look at it and say to myself "wow that sure is a neat figure I have up on display here on my dresser!" All I think about when I see something like that is how much it upseted and frustrated me and the reason why its standing there in one mode is because I'm not able to do it that well. If things make me feel that way I really don't like having them around my house. Being autistic theres a lot of things I already can't do (part of why I had to drop out of college after 3 years) and I really don't like being brought down like that due to a toy, hence why I don't think its worth keeping...

6. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

Like you I got my ass whoped by SP's transformation....I was up till 2 in the morning last night workin on him, but I have also found that the more I do it the easyier it gets, dont give up on him quite yet. Besides, theres something to be said for having 2 different primes in your collection!!!

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Mine fits in well, but I feel your pain. If you're not satisfied I'd say just take it back and get things you will be satisfied with. But I know what you mean about DOTM instructions. I hate 'em. The 3D renders of the toys is nowhere near as good as illustrations.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    That's understandable, and I guess my situation with Mixmaster is a little different, as it's not so much the transformation difficulty that keeps him on my shelf the way he is, but moreso the fact that I really like the pose I have him in right now, and because don't expect his leg or arm joints to be able to hold up under a lot of play.

I still wouldn't give up just yet however, especially if you've got a friend who can help you out. I remember doing that with video games all the time when I was younger, and being able to beat levels that they other had trouble with in the beginning & whatnot went a good way toward not letting a silly game beat us. In other words, lets find a way to beat Sentinel Prime. :) 

... however, if you're simply not sold on him, then maybe it's best to spend some more time online looking at pictures & videos & then like it's been said, using the money to get stuff that appeals to you. I mean, there's nothing worse (well there is, but you know what I mean) than buying something that doesn't live up to expectations, and it's often not even about the money. Taking that into account, I'd wanna ask myself if it's the difficulty that's keeping me away, or whether I simply don't like the toy. If it's not the latter, then I wouldn't wanna give up on it.

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think I've only ever Transformed ROTF Leader Optimus 3 or 4 times and Binaltech Wheeljack twice for the same sort of reasons.

10. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    I felt the same way when I first got the figure, but after spending some time with him and transforming him a few times he's grown on me. It's a transformation much like Leader Optimus's in that it's insanely complex but becomes much simpler once you figure out all the little tricks. The biggest stumbling block for me was figuring out how to get the arms inside the legs, and my solution has been to make sure the hands are facing palms inwards BEFORE I clip them to the back of the cab, then swing them around, put them into place, put that little tab on the arms sticking out at a 90 degree angle and then DONT MOVE THEM.

Just keep playing with it, I would recommend transforming it a few more times, and I guarantee it will get easier each time!

11. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I remember once I was visiting a friend, and her young son (About 7 or 8) gave me his green ROTF Mixmaster, and asked if I could help him with it, since he couldn't transform him. I own a Mixmaster myself, but have only ever transformed him once. Still, in most cases I can figure out a figure given enough time fiddling with it.

After half an hour, I had to admit defeat.

To the Op, it's not your Autism. These are just tough toys to figure out.

If you get Transformers primarily to transform them, as opposed to pose them or because you like the character, then the figures you get should be hand candy, not hand punishment. If you're not happy with him, take him back by all means, and get something that DOES make you happy.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Is Leader Sentinel really that hard?? When I watched Peaugh's video review of it, it seemed pretty straightforward. But if it's another one of these annoying panelformers that are more frustrating than enjoyable, I might pass it up. I had enough of that with Alternators and MP Megatron. Nice display pieces or not, Transformers are meant to be... you know... transformed more than just once or twice.

13. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT.

This part of the sequence that ppl will miss & end up screwing the transforming sequence, it's not even clearly shown on the instruction sheet. it's one of those things that you'll have to figure on yr own by trial & error.

Thanks for pointing it out bro, would be a useful tip for some hapless members here. :wink: 

14. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

i transformed my Rotf leader Prime (was my first transormer purchase after 20 years) in 2 and a half hours for the first time with company of cursing, screaming and spitting :)  And maybe more for the transformation back.

now i can do it in five minutes (may be less) and i love that figure.

you get the point, give it more time.

15. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Peaugh is some kind of Transformers genius, I think.

I've watched his videos countless times and the guy never has one problem, haha. He makes the most difficult steps look simple.

I like his videos a lot but I would never judge a transformation based on how he does it since they all look straightforward and easy in his hands.

16. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I too had tro have patience with my Buster Prime. not only was he diffecult to transform, but had to be carefull with t the paint at the same time. I wouldn't part with him for anything.....Sentinel Prime is growing on me more and more.

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    No offense but isnt a bit rushed to return your Sentinel Prime just cause its difficult to transform? :S Besides, will the store take it back? I mean, its not like its broken or anything. Just have a bit more patience, watch the video reviews all the times you need and you will get the hand to his transformation. ;)  Afterall, its a great toy!

18. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Which part are you having trouble with? Getting the windshield into the chest? Aligning the arms into the legs? Getting all of the panels to fit properly?

I had trouble with ROTF Leader Prime and I eventually figured it out. I'm having problems with Leader Sentinel Prime but I'm going to keep at it until I figure it out. He is a challenging figure but with perseverance you will figure it out—even with autism.

I would keep on trying and not give up on the figure. Who knows, you might just get it one day and it will be a figure you are proud to have on display in your collection.

19. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

I had a lot of trouble getting all the panels on Sentinel to align properly. I eventually just said "Fuck it" and transformed him back to robot mode. That's how he shall forever remain.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    My ROTF Leader Optimus Prime has never transformed once.

I honestly don't like complicated transformations. I consider Sentinel Prime, if not i'l get the Voyager since everyone is at that size range anyways.